You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa 99% certain to leave after pay-off agreed

ReddOrDedd

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was said time and time again that Rafa was in the American's back pockets because he signed his contract, it was always alluded to!

Yet Kenny is being lined up and?

The facts are that Kenny, for whatever reason will also allay a hell of a lot of the anger that should be focussed on the owners, most of us said so six months ago, criticism of the decision to appoint Kenny is already being banned on this thread!

Not criticism of Kenny, but the decision to appoint him, they are two seperate issues, I don't think Kenny is backing the owners in taking the job, but I am convinced he is being used by them.

I totally agree, mate, and that's why I think some people on here are being a bit unfair and jumping the gun.

What I would hope this does is put an end to all the pathetic 'pro' and 'anti' Rafa posturing so that we can all concentrate on getting the cowboys out.

Speaking purely on the football front, I'm looking forward to the fans being united again, so I hope that that can transfer itself to our actions against the Americans.

Kenny Dalglish is not a yank stooge.

Is respect a long gone word known to the modern day fan.

Fans rejoicing as it looks like Rafa is leaving with potentially Hodgson or O'Neil taking over.

I suggest people do the research on both managers as both of them are defensive minded managers who much like Rafa like to make a team hard to beat and then hope to catch teams on the break.

Going back to Dalglish.

This is a man who is probably the greatest ever player for the club and whose acheivements as the manager were superb as well.

Dalglish does not need the money but loves the club and by becoming back involved he is helping us get some of the youth signed up.

If he takes over as manager (probably on an interim basis) he is not doing it because its helping out Hicks and Gillett he would be doing it as first and foremost it would be helping out Liverpool FC.

I love Dalglish and he is a rare thing these days as he still does things the Liverpool way.

I would love him to get the job on an interim basis but the knobhead fans who abuse should be instantly banned from the forum.

Yanks stooge, get a fucking grip.

I personally cannot stand Benitez but am always sad at how any Manager leaves.

He started amazingly well and gave us an unprecedented 5th European title and brought in the new core we all knew was needed in Alonso, Torres, Mascherano and Reina to add to Gerrard and Carragher.

Then it all got too much.

He spunked huge cash, was insecure and hurt by his Valencia experience and added to how some of our "cardinals" etc deified him, the power went to his head and in came a sycophantic backroom who empowered him to sack Heighway and go on to flood an admitedly failing Academy with too many, sub standard, bought-in foreign youth.

He took on Ferguson publicly as they were winning titles.

He made snidey, funny at the time, jibes about Everton but which Academy right now would you entrust your gifted son to enrol with? No choice and the general grass roots regional consensus is don't take your lad to Liverpool.

He wanted everything and it became too much; in came the defensive, stubborn and arrogant seige mentality and sold our cherished, classy midfield gem.

His man management reputation broke out as aloof, cold, inflexible and cautious; sadly at the wrong time.

His PR, press conferences and media relations were disasterous; mumbling, evasive, fearful and reactionary; who of us in our employment "guarantee" a certain result and then leak out propoganda and manipulate blame at the hand of others ( these owners simply didn't trust him, I admit ) and still expect to be in a high-paid job? I wouldn't.

He has brought both shame and glory to the Club and as LFC fans, we forgave a lot of the former for the decreasingly unlikely return of the latter but it became clear it wasn't going to return.

Then he spent up to £37m on Johnsona and Aquilani; neither will make it at LFC in the capacity they were brought; the former looking like a strong right sided mid but not a defender.

I'm thankful for Istanbul, the derby wins, utd wins and FA Cup. The Chelsea pens, Reina, Torres and Alonso but it all became too much power for him and his failings as a man had too much impact on the team and Club in the traditional English Manager all round role. His behaviour, tactics and mindset began to reflect on the team and we went from 2nd to 7th; as he struggled, so did the team.

I just hope we don't sign Martin O'Neil.

Thanks Rafa and good luck; you're a sound tactician and a football man but add on recruitment, academy directorship, PR, English media management, fueds with strong rivals and demanding expectations in a basic, spit and sawdust english league and it was a bit too much.

Just maybe don't state "facts" from a minty bit of paper, sack Academy legends, sell loved players over arguments, grow a goatee ten years after all the 9 to 5ers did and dance on stage during a critical period of uncertainty and relative failure, and you'll be sound.

Post of the year. Bar none. Absoluetly spot on and fantastically written

You have no idea of the Kings motives for taking that position. For all you know he could be doing to help move the owners on and believed being invloved in the running of the club was the best way to do that.

You're right, I don't. But I'm not at all sure that what you're suggesting was part of his masterplan at the time.

Did i read just read "Dalgaish yank stooge" what the f*ck!!!

What do people expect Kenny to do, if he has a chance to help the club and drive them in a positive direction then u can be guaranteed he'll take it & i for one will be overjoyed. As for yank stooge what the f*ck is that all about? I've heard some sh*t alright on forums but that takes to biscuit.

Rafa ain't gone just yet, lets see what happensbefore we start saying silly things

Speaking purely on the football front, I'm looking forward to the fans being united again, so I hope that that can transfer itself to our actions against the Americans.

I am not speaking for anyone else, but after this past year!

This was posted in Ant's 80's ballad type thread, and pretty much sums it up for me, even now reading back over some of the posts on this thread, I can honestly say, if I walked away from football, which is not as daft a proposition as it was five years ago, not being associated with these people will be one of the major reasons.

It's a bit rich people who have been nothing but confrontational, divisive and one eyed in their arguments over the past how many months now imploring the fanbase to unite

err no thanks

As I said, you can support Kenny as much as you like, but anyone who doesn't think he is being used is an idiot.

David Fairclough says Kenny Dalglish could be the man to fill the void left by Rafa Benitez at Liverpool - at least in the short term.

Benitez is thought to be on his way out of Anfield after reports emerged that the club are prepared to offer the Spaniard a £3million pay-off to walk away.

The Reds are yet to comment on the reports, but speaking on Sky Sports News former Liverpool star Fairclough - who played for the club from 1974 to 1983 - said Dalglish would be an ideal short-term replacement.

High-profile candidates such as Roy Hodgson, Guus Hiddink and Martin O'Neill could be put off by the instability surrounding the ownership of the club, so Dalglish - currently working for the club's youth academy - has been tipped to step into the manager's position.

Dalglish led Liverpool to three league titles in his first spell as manager between 1985 and 1991, but hasn't managed at the top level since he left Celtic in 2000.

However, Fairclough says he would be up to the task of taking Liverpool forward.

Fairclough told Sky Sports News: "People will probably be shy to commit and Liverpool probably have a little bit of a problem on their hands in that sense

"But with Kenny Dalglish in the back room, I wouldn't rule against someone like him being involved in how the club goes forward in a short-term way.

"Fans would take to that. There will be a few question marks; Kenny's been out of the game in a managerial sense for a few years now.

"Does he still have his finger on the pulse? Some people may think he won't, but knowing Kenny he's a very shrewd individual and he knows exactly what's going on.

"He'll know exactly how to approach this situation and he'll have his own ideas. I know he has his own ideas on the players who are currently at the club and who he'd want to involve.

"I don't think it would be a bad appointment, certainly in the short term."

Change

Fairclough feels it is in the best interests of Liverpool for Benitez to leave after six years in charge, following the apparent breakdown in his relationship with club captain Steven Gerrard.

After a difficult season, in which Liverpool finished seventh, Fairclough believes Gerrard might be tempted to walk away from Anfield unless a new manager is put in place.

"There does need to be a change, there's no doubt about that," Fairclough added.

"You need to progress, you need to keep hold of your best players and clearly I think Steven Gerrard has a major part to play in the future of Liverpool Football Club.

"I think he is perhaps unhappy at the way things have been moving along and there are signs maybe that he wasn't entirely happy with Rafa himself.

"You have to have Steven here and I think their only hope probably was to try and restructure a change with a new name at the top to try and make Steven commit.

"I think he wants to be a Liverpool player for the future but I think he has to be clear in the ways Liverpool are moving forwards."

Limbo

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are looking to sell the club and Fairclough feels it is important that new investors are found.

And while the departure of Benitez may put Liverpool in a short-term "limbo", Fairclough suggested that a change of manager may actually make Liverpool more attractive to potential new buyers.

"It does put them in a sort of limbo I suppose," Fairclough added.

"But I do think there are a couple of people out there who are looking at Liverpool. Whether or not the valuation is realistic enough remains to be seen and a judgement will be taken on that in due course.

"But I think some stability on the future of players and some improvement in the general feel of the club may entice a change of mind from new perspective owners.

"Changes needed to be made, so maybe the manager going isn't entirely a bad decision."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | 'Call for Kenny'

Did they write the script for you Davey

I personally cannot stand Benitez but am always sad at how any Manager leaves.

He started amazingly well and gave us an unprecedented 5th European title and brought in the new core we all knew was needed in Alonso, Torres, Mascherano and Reina to add to Gerrard and Carragher.

Then it all got too much.

He spunked huge cash, was insecure and hurt by his Valencia experience and added to how some of our "cardinals" etc deified him, the power went to his head and in came a sycophantic backroom who empowered him to sack Heighway and go on to flood an admitedly failing Academy with too many, sub standard, bought-in foreign youth.

I won't quote the whole thing, as it's already been done more than once, but that was an excellent post Bourbon.

What Rafa did for us in Istanbul and the run to Istanbul was more than a miracle. The European nights were phenonemal, even as recent as the pounding of Real Madrid in 08-09, the excellent Derby record, the 4-1 at Old Trafford. Great, great memories. Anyone who diminishes his achievements now is a total idiot.

Rafa is a fine, fine coach and he will go somewhere else and prove it again. Things just run their course sometimes in football. He looks tired and the team he managed last year looks tired. Fresh impetus under a new manager should hopefully see us playing better football and being competitive again next season.

fucking hypocrite, it would have been much better if you just left it blank, ye've ridiculed the man and his achievements since Xabi was nearly sold, stuck the boot in at every opportunity.... but yer got what yer wanted in the end, so you give it the "big man" ah well applaud him for what he achieved yadda yadda, fuck me it's sad to watch.. not just you JG by a long way, but yours was the first post that really fucking sums things up. I hope to fuck we pull through the next season, bad choice of manager now and Liverpool FC are gonna see how big that ST waiting list really is

Did i read just read "Dalgaish yank stooge" what the f*ck!!!

What do people expect Kenny to do, if he has a chance to help the club and drive them in a positive direction then u can be guaranteed he'll take it & i for one will be overjoyed. As for yank stooge what the f*ck is that all about? I've heard some sh*t alright on forums but that takes to biscuit.

Rafa ain't gone just yet, lets see what happensbefore we start saying silly things

Why is one of our greatest ever associating himself so directly with the worst two things to ever happen to our club?

If the Yanks were gone I would be made up to give Dalglish a five year contract as manager if he wanted it.

While they're here I can't help but feel he makes their tenure easier.

It's not long ago people were going mad that the likes of Rush, Neal and Souness weren't coming out and speaking against the yanks. Now the greatest becomes their defining signing and I'm supposed to do back flips?

Get to fuck

I am not speaking for anyone else, but after this past year!

This was posted in Ant's 80's ballad type thread, and pretty much sums it up for me, even now reading back over some of the posts on this thread, I can honestly say, if I walked away from football, which is not as daft a proposition as it was five years ago, not being associated with these people will be one of the major reasons.

As I said, you can support Kenny as much as you like, but anyone who doesn't think he is being used is an idiot.

Do you think Kenny himself feels he's being used? Give the King a bit of credit here. He's not a fucking dope.

Like I've said, I'd imagine he would take the job on an interim basis because of his love for Liverpool and because he perceives it to be what is right for the club. I think the Americans would be the furthest thing from his mind, to be honest.

Why is one of our greatest ever associating himself so directly with the worst two things to ever happen to our club?

If the Yanks were gone I would be made up to give Dalglish a five year contract as manager if he wanted it.

It's not long ago people were going mad that the likes of Rush, Neal and Souness weren't coming out and speaking against the yanks. Now the greatest becomes their defining signing and I'm supposed to do back flips?

Get to fuck

Now that is an excellent post!

Spot on, anyone who accepts this without at least questioning the motives can fuck off.

Get to fuck

He hasnt been appointed anything yet

I wanted to thank Rafa for all of his achievements, but apparently because I've wanted him to leave, it would be hypocritical, and thus I'm not allowed.

Adios Benitez.

Hola Kenny, la.

It might just work you know.

I'll cry tears of joy when Kenny is unveiled

You wouldn't be alone in that.

He defines "The Liverpool way"

He has huge dignity, which our club used to be known for.

He left the club in terrible circumstances and I know many of us feel that it was a chapter in LFC history that had more to be written in it.