You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

municipal golf courses

robbief

I know there are a few golf threads but this is dedicated to muni courses.

Bootle -

Never played there before, had a go on monday and hit a 76. Was made up as I hadn't played for a long time and had heard that bootle was tough. The fairways where shite for the first few holes but after about the fourth they were great and the greens where spot on. Some bunkers were shit, ie. a lot of clay with a sprinkling of sand and some had loads of great, white sand.

Also, even though about half of my drives went right, the course wasn't too unforgiving and I still got a half decent score.

Good greens and some challenging bunker placements.

Not sure about the 10.50 price tag though, kirkby is only about 7 and is just as good.

Kirkby -

One bad hole, the long straight one that runs along the railway track. Theres always a big wet patch in the middle of the fairway. there are a few tough holes with pretty narrow fairways which means you lay up before it goes narrow costing you about 150 yards or you go for it and risk going Ob or playing your second shot from the trees.

Greens are normally good but the bunkers are in 'easy to avoid' places.

Bowring Park -

Not good for high-ish handicappers as there are no par 5's which makes beating par quite difficult. Some of the par fours are nice and long and make a challenge for you but the ones nearer the club house are not so long and straight with a very unflat base. The fairways are good but certain times of the year they are covered in leaves.

Bunkers are very easy to miss.

anyone know of any other good muni's?

Allerton is a superb Municipal course. I have played private courses that aren't a scratch on Allerton. If you play in from May to Sept (even October) the greens are good as are the fairways. Some people may critisize the lengths of some of the par 4's but I have been playing there for 25 years and love it.

I'm playing next Thursday. I'll be the fat badly dressed fool in the bunker if you're there then.