You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benayoun going to Chelsea (with quotes)

His replacement is Maxi Rodriguez, so Yes. Alas selling squad players for 6+m and replacing them with freebies is a reflection of the mess we are in and not the manager.

Rafa has had 6 years to buy 2 decent wide players.

Rodriguez is not an adequate replacement from Benayoun.

If there are not sufficient funds available to upgrade on Benayoun, then we should keep Yossi and utilise his qualities.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a replacement for Benayoun already in the squad, Pacheco is pretty much ready to step in. As far as the other players "not replaced", we definitely need a ball playing fast CB, an attacker to complement or replace Torres when needed, and a left back, which was our biggest problem last season. If Mascherano goes, I'd want someone like Melo, our team is getting to be somewhat on the weak side physically.

Sod all apart from retaining possession, passing to his own players and setting up goals which puts him on the margins of sainthood relative to everyone else on last seasons form.

He's so good he's kept out of the Argentina team by a Championship player. He's not in the same class as Benayoun.

We have a replacement for Benayoun already in the squad, Pacheco is pretty much ready to step in. As far as the other players "not replaced", we definitely need a ball playing fast CB, an attacker to complement or replace Torres when needed, and a left back, which was our biggest problem last season. If Mascherano goes, I'd want someone like Melo, our team is getting to be somewhat on the weak side physically.

Dani Pacheco is a decent prospect, who would be a good impact player coming off the bench, but Yossi Benayoun is still one our most creative and productive players who has a very decent goals to game ratio.

It would be a mistake letting him go, unless we are using monies from his sale to sign a better player.

Benayoun is still our best wide player and would be way down the list of players that we should be looking to get rid of.

Rafa has had 6 years to buy 2 decent wide players.

Rodriguez is not an adequate replacement from Benayoun.

If there are not sufficient funds available to upgrade on Benayoun, then we should keep Yossi and utilise his qualities.

Dude wake up and smell the coffee. It's not that there aren't sufficient funds. WE HAVE TO GENERATE MONEY. That is the here and now. So either get scouring sofas, chasing rainbows but do something other than moan about shit from 6 years ago. This is where we are. Swapping Yossi for Maxi so you can afford a backup for Insua does not seem like the worst idea in the world. But I guess once you've donned those carnage visors it's difficult to see even basic shit like that.

Guest Pistonbroke

Benayoun is one of very few creative players we have. He didn't have a great season but i put that down to a team void of any confidence for the majority of the campaign and the fact he was shoved out wide left a lot where he is wasted.

I can see us losing at least 3/4 more players. Probably to be replaced by unknown quality as far as the premier league goes. I just can't see how we will convince the better players to come to us. Spurs have CL, Man City the better wages and you can chuck the top three into the hat as well.

Dude wake up and smell the coffee. It's not that there aren't sufficient funds. WE HAVE TO GENERATE MONEY. That is the here and now. So either get scouring sofas, chasing rainbows but do something other than moan about shit from 6 years ago. This is where we are. Swapping Yossi for Maxi so you can afford a backup for Insua does not seem like the worst idea in the world. But I guess once you've donned those carnage visors it's difficult to see even basic shit like that.

I am fully aware of the current situation at our club which is why I have got off my arse and tried to do something about getting rid of the owners.

I don't trust Rafa to spend another penny and if I was him I certainly wouldn't be looking to offload one of our most creative players in Yossi Benayoun to sign a back up for Insua!

maxi has been a little bit shit. You can't argue against that without just looking really silly.

I like the lad, though, and I'm definitley not writing him off, but he's nothing even close to Yossi's quality.

Just how fucking shit and decrepit does a footballer have to be in order to merit the description "back-up to Insua"?

Is there anything more depressing than that?

The Bayern Munich left back (Badstuber or something like that) is possibly the worst LB I've seen in a long time. And he's in the German squad. He would not qualify even as a back-up to Insua.

Rather than looking to offload a quality player like Benayoun, who is still one of our most creative players we should be looking to generate monies by selling some of the dross all of whom have been signed by Rafa: -

Itandje

Cavalieri

Degen

Kyrgiakos

Babel

Riera

Plessis

El Zhar

Selling any of the above would not weaken our squad, but getting rid of Yossi would.

It is quite bizarre that, in an age when so many players spend most of their time online or glued to their phone and twittering inanely all day long, they still seem to think like puzzled pensioners when it comes to global visibility. Babel chats to someone in Holland and is stunned when someone in London picks it up. Babel twitters and is amazed when someone else reads it. Yossi seems to chat to reporters in Israel about transfers every time he goes there and never seems to think it'll get back to the UK. I suppose he'll claim, as he's done just about every summer, and January, since he's been here that he's been misquoted. They're all dimwitted but conniving, which is a bad combination unless you're a hack eager to fill up some space.

He's so good he's kept out of the Argentina team by a Championship player. He's not in the same class as Benayoun.

And Palermo kept out Aguero, Higuain, Tevez etc. Jonas has also kept Zanetti out. You'll understand if I think your yardstick is more a shitty stick than anything else, I'm sure.

Yossi is a great player, aspects of his game are far better than Maxi's no question. Likewise Maxi is a great player and there are aspects of his game that are far better than Yossi's. If this weren't a zero sum game we'd keep both. It's not, so we pitch for the one whose most consistent and sell the one who can raise most money. The real world sucks eh?

And Palermo kept out Aguero, Higuain, Tevez etc. Jonas has also kept Zanetti out. You'll understand if I think your yardstick is more a shitty stick than anything else, I'm sure.

Yossi is a great player, aspects of his game are far better than Maxi's no question. Likewise Maxi is a great player and there are aspects of his game that are far better than Yossi's. If this weren't a zero sum game we'd keep both. It's not, so we pitch for the one whose most consistent and sell the one who can raise most money. The real world sucks eh?

Please define "great" when you label someone as a "great player".

Guest Pistonbroke

Both are good players, neither of them are great!!!

revolving_door.jpg

Yeah, Rafa clearly wants to ship Mascherano on.

As a matter of interest, given Rafas clear love of a revolving door policy, why are Reina, Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Gerrard, Lucas, Kuyt, Babel, Torres, etc, all still here, and the manager wanting to keep them here and not wanting to move them on?

Just because someone decided a few weeks back that Rafa has a "revolving door policy" on transfers, and one of the examples he gave was Arbeloa, a player who very clearly said he wanted to go home, and who Rafa wanted to keep, doesn't make it true Stevie. And now Mascherano, who we know Rafa very much wants to keep, is now also been used as an example of this policy? I expect that from some of the idiots on here Stevie, but you're better then that.

As a matter of interest, given Rafas clear love of a revolving door policy, why are Reina, Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Gerrard, Lucas, Kuyt, Babel, Torres, etc, all still here, and the manager wanting to keep them here and not wanting to move them on?

Just because someone decided a few weeks back that Rafa has a "revolving door policy" on transfers, and one of the examples he gave was Arbeloa, a player who very clearly said he wanted to go home, and who Rafa wanted to keep, doesn't make it true Stevie. And now Mascherano, who we know Rafa very much wants to keep, is now also been used as an example of this policy? I expect that from some of the idiots on here Stevie, but you're better then that.

Eminently sensible.

Guest Pistonbroke

You've mentioned 10 players out of how many ??? Plus babel isn't exactly a player who you can place in that category. Swings and roundabouts as far as this topic goes. It's pretty obvious that he'd want to keep the backbone of the side. But in his time building his squad there has been an awful lot of players coming and going.