You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"The Liverpool Way"

Guest TK-421

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke
I know what Ants saying, I slag players off and the manager but when you go the match its totally different.

Always been that way. The discussions about what was wrong or right are left to the pub. Or in this case to the internet. Only a robot could distance himself from speaking his mind about things after the match. During a match you support for the better of the club.

Twisting things around again i see. In football it's about what you are doing now and where you have done it. Plus i know what CV means without you telling me you condescending tosser.

Twisting things by giving you a definition of the word you used?

Wenger hasn't done anything for five years - do you think no one would take him?

You really are wierd!

You sung his name last night? so tell me then, why the hell do you start threads like these..

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/89805-can-we-sack-benitez-now.html

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/85853-rafa-we-trust-go-fuck-yourself.html

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/90779-cynicism-frustration-we-need-carragher-our-manager.html

Why do you slate him to fuck but sing his name at the match, you need to see a fucking head doctor you mate.

Because I was at the match init

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that though, for someone who slaggs him off as much as you do then why don't you just keep silent when his name is being sung at the match? Why do you feel the need to sing his name then run straight to your keyboard and stick a knife in his back? Stand by your convictions.

I've given my reasons before if you look back.

Two thing:

1) The Liverpool way is dead. The sooner you accept that, the easier it is to come to grips with everything else around the club.

Yes probably and sadly for us all right with that

2) I question the wisdom of starting a thread, particularly in such a self-righteous manner, like this on what is an increasingly divided and volatile *f. It's not going to end with tears and hugs but, far more likely, 5 pages of "cunt" being thrown around. Sound if you're into that type of thing and are spoiling for a arguement, however it's counter-productive to debate for the rest of the forum.

He wasn't self righteous, he only posted the comments of others....that is all.

Well I was called only as recent as last week a ''self contradictory cunt'' last week by The Boy for a start, just for questioning the Aquilani signing. I mean come on.

It is hardly new, though.

I distinctly remember a game against Sunderland in Marcg 1991, just after Kenny resigned, when a guy next to me in the Kop repeatedly slagged him for beinjg a 'selfish, self-serving cunt who left us in the lurch'.

Daglish!!

It happens, it is wrong, but it happens.

The original poster makes a good point about the loss of the 'liverpool way' among the fans. Very sad set of quotes he has assembled.

That said, I wonder what understanding of 'the Liverpool Way' our current manager has when he and his despicable agent have been negotiating with Juventus for three months now (and Benitez even met with Bettega in Manchester two weekends ago) He's manager of our club, we pay his ample wages, and he's been negotiating behind our backs for months. Despicable and he should be sacked immediately without compensation [and how many managers have such high=profile agents!? Him and Hiddink are the only two I can think of]. And of course he did it to Valencia too. Expect him to launch a lawsuit against us when he leaves, for spurious compensation, as he did with them.

In terms of character, Benitez is no longer fit to lay claim to the Liverpool Way.

Guest TK-421

My post was cobbled together fairly quickly and some quotes are out of synch with the rest in terms of their tone, as Bigal and Welsh have pointed out, and we have PMd each other to discuss it.

I'm glad I started the thread as it has lead to some good discussions so thanks to everyone for contributing.

Some great posts on this thread (repped those involved, apologies to anyone I've missed).

The standard counter argument goes something like this: internet forums like this are just the 21st century equivalent of a quiet after match pint with your mates. Venting, etc. Don't take it so seriously.

My $0:02 (plus change):

- they're not the same. The 21st century football forum is the equivalent of standing outside the gates after the game, and screaming your views with a loudspeaker. Its public (very public, depending on the forum involved), not private. The only difference is that the relative anonymity allows some to grow some (non-existent) balls, and say shit they would never say in person.

- just saying something is inevitable (insults after a loss), doesn't mean it should be condoned, or allowed to pass. Throwing shitty personal insults at our manager isn't something which is right - no matter what whiny excuses people make for their state of mind at the time.

When your defence starts to resemble the courtroom drama's "yes your honour, I stabbed that man in the back, but I was of unsound mind at the time ....", then you ought to realise you're on sticky ground.

- no, objecting to villification of the manager is NOT a demand that everyone must believe he is the best, or the right one for the job, or even any good at all. Those are purely subjective football opinions (as long as you realise that I'm right and you're wrong ...).

Bringing this up (once already on this thread) is just a fake argument.

- ok, so "supporters" (I use that term advisedly) step way out of line. What to do? Let it pass? (cue above arguments of "its an inevitable reaction" or "its just a private rant on a forum")

Or pull them up for it? (this thread)

You can't undo what was done, but you can still show that it was CROSSING THE LINE. The next time someone wants to do it, they'll know. They're CROSSING THE LINE.

Don't object? Pretty soon - "supporters" will start crossing the line, without even knowing it was there (thats a lesson for many things more important than just football, btw)

- where does it stop?

The whole Gerrard thing, and how some of our esteemed supporters have acted (abusing the wife of one of our players, in public, based on internet gossip about their private life)

Do you think that happens in a vacuum? As expectations of what it means to be a Liverpool supporter become eroded, then behaviour will follow suit.

Which brings us back to the original title of this thread. Yes, the "Liverpool Way" does have implications for supporters as well.

The Liverpool Way......see below.

It might be outdated, it might be old hat, but it defined us for many years.

If it has gone, and it probably has, then I see no harm in reminding myself what it was.

Maybe our new owners, if they ever show up, should take a look at it, the existing ones don't seem to have done!

The Liverpool Way means many different things and everyone has their own take on it. However, my view is that, while it obviously encapsulates the culture of the club and therefore the fans, it is primarily about the team; specifically winning and being the best, but doing it with class. However, in that equation the winning was just as important as the class bit, if not more so. My football education took place on The Kop throughout the 1980s and winning was inherent in everything I ever knew about Liverpool. To my mind, that should never change, regardless of the mountain we have to climb in order to get back to doing so again.

Guest Pistonbroke

Bringing happiness to the fans, to the people of Liverpool. A club which was based around the working man. Where winning meant everything and the politics were left to those who knew how to handle it behind closed doors.

Modern day football is more of a business these days and the two don't go hand in hand. Although we all love watching live football the shear amount on the TV and the constant 24/7 discussions has changed the way the modern day fan behaves.

It's been taken away from the snotty kids and working man and been sold to those who are used for their money. I doubt it will ever go back to the way it was, in fact it will only get worse imo.

But those days we cherish and yearn for again are in the memory banks and will never be forgotten.

The Liverpool Way means many different things and everyone has their own take on it. However, my view is that, while it obviously encapsulates the culture of the club and therefore the fans, it is primarily about the team; specifically winning and being the best, but doing it with class. However, in that equation the winning was just as important as the class bit, if not more so. My football education took place on The Kop throughout the 1980s and winning was inherent in everything I ever knew about Liverpool. To my mind, that should never change, regardless of the mountain we have to climb in order to get back to doing so again.

I have to diasgree.

In theory there's no reason why we should ever have to lose "The Liverpool Way", and yet just by not winning (for whatever multitude of reasons over the last 118 years and hopefully another 118 years into the future) you're saying we automatically lose a huge chunk of The Liverpool Way?

I'd like to think that however little we're winning we'd still be doing things The Liverpool Way, that meaning how we play our football and how we, those inside the club and us supporters, conduct ourselves.

This way, being able to identify with the club, it's creed and culture, is not dependant on success.

I'm not sure what 's depressed me more about this crisis, those two leeches owning our club or the unveiling of half our fans as spoiled bitter gobshites. Fuck off and support the Bluenoses where you'll fit right in.