You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If not Mourinho... how about Schteve?

Archimede

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to sound like I am endorsing McClaren as a choice for manager, but the guy deserves to be judged on his achievements, which right now appear to be pretty epic.

Epic? Really?

Winning the Carling cup in England and nothing with England or in Holland?

Mclaren....Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! That's all I have to say about that suggestion. But on a brighter note, O'Neill and Hodgson are good suggestions. I'd rather have Roy than Martin, but that's only because I believe Roy Hodgson has the ability to take the team to that next level on a smaller budget. O'Neill also irritates me to the point of death at times, so all round Roy would be the better option for me.

Firstly, I don't want Steve McClaren to replace Benitez.

Right, now that I've got that out of the way...

Secondly, I think the man deserves a lot more respect and think he's a very good manager. Look at his CV: He was assistant manager at Man Utd when they won the treble in 1999, he took previously trophyless Middlesbrough to Cardiff and won the Carling Cup and also took them to europe via a good league position in 2005 before they reached the UEFA Cup final losing to (For losing to see anihaliated by) a very good Sevilla side. And now he's got everybodies attention in Holland.

His biggest mistake was taking on the England job, though again look at his CV he was a big part of the England set up as coach. It's the worst job in the world for any manager to take due to the amount of pressure you're put under and if it goes wrong you can expect the worst abuse from the gutter press and once that shit is thrown it sticks - and the public buy into it aswell.

His record with England wasn't that bad. They were a point away from qualifying for the Euros but lost out to Croatia and Russia - managed by Bilic and Hiddink, two managers who are consistently talked about on these boards as being potentially good replacements for Benitez...

He was never a popular appointment as he wasn't fashionable enough. Look at the reaction at halftime when they played Andorra and it was 0-0 - roundly booed by the morons in the crowd and press box. 2 years later Cappello's side went there and went in at halftime at 0-0 and there wasn't a peep from anyone.

He deserves a bit more respect.

I agree (sort of).

I don't think Steve McClaren is a world class manager by any stretch of the imagination, but he deserves some respect for what he's achieved at Boro and Twente.

Does deserve respect for what he has done there. The league is poor at the minute but still its agood job hes doing. Despite Celtic and Rangers being truly awful this year, no one has got close to winning that league ahead of them. Steve has done a great job over there. Dont want him here, but neither do i want Mourinho, ONeill or Hodgson.

Does deserve respect for what he has done there. The league is poor at the minute but still its agood job hes doing. Despite Celtic and Rangers being truly awful this year, no one has got close to winning that league ahead of them. Steve has done a great job over there. Dont want him here, but neither do i want Mourinho, ONeill or Hodgson.

istockphoto_6004995-head-scratching-question.jpg

He deserves a lot of respect alone for having the balls to try himself abroad unlike the likes of O'Neill and Allayrdici who just stay in Britain all of the time.

Good point. He's gone abroad and done well, and I've a lot of time for him and his comedy voice acting. I'd not want him anywhere near the club though.

Agree also with the notion that the shithouse press turned on him and rewrote history because he didn't succeed at international level. When it comes to Ingerlund, I tend to judge a manager's record slightly differently, due to the number of insufferable cunts he'd have to put up with - journos, the FA, the LMA, Ginsoak, Mongo, Max Clifford, paparazzi, Rio Ferdinand, etc.