You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we sack Benitez now

Antynwa

Let's say Rafa stays and he's given some decent money, is he really going to change how he manages, how he approaches games and who he plays? How long have we been crying out for a winger and how long have those cries gone unanswered?

As of now we have defenders that can't defend, a midfield paring that are used for nothing more than breaking down attacks and wingers, and I use that term loosely, that rarely, if ever, beat their man. How many of these players are simply not good enough is debatable, who bought them is not.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last summer we spent £7M on Dossena, £19M on Keane and £8M on Riera all sold or about to be sold, this season we have spent £20M on Aquilani who he will not play and £16M on Johnson a fullback who cant defend.

If someone in any other business wasted funds like this he would be seen as a liability to the company.

How can anyone defend this shite, there are no excuses for his bizarre decisions, still people think he should get another season?

Unbelievable really..

This post sums it up for me. You can't waste money like that and get away with it. There are no excuses for those signings. Rafa has shown in two consecutive summers no instinct at all for what sort of player we need here. An impartial examination of the evidence would suggest that Rafa should not be trusted with a single penny of money. It upsets me saying this because I like the man but he's his own worse enemy. He signs dross, then blanks them and then when he's eventually moved them on they hit out at him in the press, it's embarrassing for him, the club and the fans.

Let's say Rafa stays and he's given some decent money, is he really going to change how he manages, how he approaches games and who he plays? How long have we been crying out for a winger and how long have those cries gone unanswered?

As of now we have defenders that can't defend, a midfield paring that are used for nothing more than breaking down attacks and wingers, and I use that term loosely, that rarely, if ever, beat their man. How many of these players are simply not good enough is debatable, who bought them is not.

Exactly. He could have 200m, but his tactics would not change. They are the main problem. This team and squad shod beat teams like Wigan and wolves, but they don't because of his negative tactics

Signing better players (and playing them)?

Playing a more enterprising and entertaining type of football?

I don´t buy the funds or net spend excuse. I agree it is a factor, but United are miles in front of Liverpool with only two players who may be considered unreacheable with Liverpool´s financial muscle, Rooney and Ferdinand. Yet they play a much more entertaining and effective brand of football.

Today´s Benitez starting midfield was Kuyt, Maxi, Mascherano, Leiva and Gerrard, with the only idea of stopping United and to try to catch them on the break. That should be unacceptable for a club that wants to compete at the top, but that is the only way Benitez knows.

What he said.

I wouldn't do anything until the summer.

We're not going to get 4th though, i'm absolutely convinced of that. If there are still fans who want him to stay if we finish outside of those top four places, i'd be staggered.

Oh there will be loads, the excuses will never end; he's been a good manager here and has been relatively successful, but his time is up, we're regressing alarmingly, it's time for a change.

Red-dy for the fight

Liverpool can't attract top stars, says Barnes

Last updated: 21st March 2010

It may have been a disappointing season for Liverpool, but John Barnes reckons the club are not too far from where they should be.

The Anfield legend joined Ian Payne and Chris Kamara on the Goals on Sunday sofa to discuss the state of his former club and he admitted Liverpool have been too inconsistent in the last decade.

Last season the Reds finished four points behind champions Manchester United, but they are struggling to repeat that form this time around and are involved in a race with Tottenham, Manchester City and Aston Villa for the fourth Champions League spot.

However, Barnes is confident Liverpool will finish in fourth - and says that is arguably where they should finish given the players that Benitez has at his disposal.

"Over the last 10 years they have not been consistent enough," Barnes said.

"Last year, for example, they finished second and I thought it was a great season for them. I happen to believe they overachieved last year because to get that close to winning the league - with what they have - shows what a great job Rafa did.

"They missed Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres a lot so to finish second - when you look at what they have - they overachieved.

"The squad is not as good as Chelsea's or Manchester United or even Arsenal's for that matter, so for them to do what they did last year was incredible.

"This year I expected them to be better, but even though they aren't doing better I wouldn't go as far as to say it breaks my heart because I know things can change.

"I still think they can finish fourth, which in many respects you could argue is where they should finish.

"Should they win the league? No, not with what they have. So it's been a disappointing season but I still think they'll finish fourth."

Sums

Benitez has been criticised for spending large sums of money on players such as Alberto Aquilani, who has struggled to command a place in the first team.

However, Barnes says Liverpool have not been able to attract the world's top players for several years and it is difficult for them to compete financially with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United.

However, he says the club can still win trophies and suggested that next season could be an important one for Liverpool.

He said: "I think the problem that Liverpool have now is one they've had for a while - and Liverpool fans hate me for saying this but it's true.

"If the best players in the world are coming to England, they're not coming to Liverpool. It's a fact.

"They're going to go to Chelsea, they're going to go to Manchester United and they're going to go to Arsenal, apart from Torres and that's because of the relationship and the Spanish thing.

"So what do they do? Do they buy players which are as good as what they have but aren't going to improve them? Or do they not spend the money?

"Because they're under pressure to spend money, what you do is you spend money and you don't really increase the quality.

"You're under pressure to spend money and buy players so you pay £20million for Aquilani, who may be a decent player but has been injured.

"What they have to do is they have to galvanise themselves, come together and say 'maybe we haven't got the best players, but we can still achieve'.

"It's a difficult thing. How often are we going to say it's a transitional period because a transitional period is every other year - and it shouldn't be.

"But it's a big season for Liverpool maybe this year. Depending on where they finish, next season's going to be a big season."

Drought

Barnes played in Liverpool's last league-winning team in 1990, but says supporters shouldn't be surprised at Liverpool's title drought.

He pointed to various example of teams falling from grace throughout football history and said any club can slip from the top if they do not continually strive to improve.

"That's football," Barnes concluded.

"You have to keep your eye on the prize and you have to be focused because it can easily happen.

"You look at the history of football and you look at great clubs like Preston North End and Wolverhampton Wanderers. These were the top clubs.

"I'm not saying Liverpool are going to go like they have gone, but nevertheless, particularly nowadays when money is so important, you really have to try and keep in the top four and try and push on every year.

"Last year they finished second and it hasn't happened this year, but Liverpool are still a huge football club.

"They'll be in the top four no matter what."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Red-dy for the fight

£20m spunked on keane, 7m on dossena, another 20m on aquilani who's now tipped to be shipped out in the summer.

Would you really give benitez 'decent' money?

His transfer record with 'decent' money is shocking. Only Torres and Reina (who cost 6-7m tops) People mention mascherano as proof of his good mega buys but he was on an 18 month loan before he signed him. If he couldnt get that right he really would have been shown to be shit.

Put another way, if keane, dossena, degen, lucas, kuyt etc had of been on an 18 month loan, do you think he would have signed them? Oh, er, wait a minute..............................

He's lost the players, time to go.

I am not having a go here but I would like to at least say that is just conjecture. What evidence is there to support this?

A lot of the players actually seem fired up, they are getting frustrated...and this could demonstrate that they care.

The results are a cast iron fact and they can't be argued against, but where does this "He has lost the dressing room" come from? Taxi drivers? Friends-of-friends-neighbours?

Like I say not having a pop here - just looking to be educated by someone in the know.

One bad season, 4 seasons of mediocrity and 10 weeks of one season where the 'shackles are off.'

Strange sense of perspective you have there! Each to their own.

Says that lad who in the red more than Gillett and Hicks. I value your opinion.

At least I know king emlyn is a good lad, you've had a pop and i havent got a clue who your are.

I am not having a go here but I would like to at least say that is just conjecture. What evidence is there to support this?

A lot of the players actually seem fired up, they are getting frustrated...and this could demonstrate that they care.

The results are a cast iron fact and they can't be argued against, but where does this "He has lost the dressing room" come from? Taxi drivers? Friends-of-friends-neighbours?

Like I say not having a pop here - just looking to be educated by someone in the know.

TBH, any player would \ should be fired up playing against united. I've been to all the home league games this season plus a few aways. The players body language is all wrong. They dont believe in what they are being asked to do or play. They make simple mistakes. Its my opinion and I dont see anything to change it.

Says that lad who in the red more than Gillett and Hicks. I value your opinion.

At least I know king emlyn is a good lad, you've had a pop and i havent got a clue who your are.

Shows how much you know about realities when you depend on a web forum rep or neg to make an inform decision!

Signing better players (and playing them)?

Playing a more enterprising and entertaining type of football?

I don´t buy the funds or net spend excuse. I agree it is a factor, but United are miles in front of Liverpool with only two players who may be considered unreacheable with Liverpool´s financial muscle, Rooney and Ferdinand. Yet they play a much more entertaining and effective brand of football.

Today´s Benitez starting midfield was Kuyt, Maxi, Mascherano, Leiva and Gerrard, with the only idea of stopping United and to try to catch them on the break. That should be unacceptable for a club that wants to compete at the top, but that is the only way Benitez knows.

Are you saying this wasn't positive?

Gerrard (although ineffective) was the supporting attacker.

What was their midfield? What was their game plan?

Yes, they won, but not by a great deal (I know, I know...) and no-one is calling Fungusface for his caution.

Are you saying this wasn't positive?

Gerrard (although ineffective) was the supporting attacker.

What was their midfield? What was their game plan?

Yes, they won, but not by a great deal (I know, I know...) and no-one is calling Fungusface for his caution.

If benitez ever won 10 or 11 league titles, everyone could call him dull boring defensive etc etc. But he hasnt and willnever win one PL title so long as he has a hole in his arse.