You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The greatest team that never was?

Red Mist

If Yugoslavia didn't break up, and Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, and Macedonia could collectively field a single team... they could have won the World Cup in 1994 and the European Championships in 1996. Look at the players that were around in the early to mid 90's for these countries...

Zvonimir Boban

Robert Prosinecki

Davor Suker

Robert Jarni

Dejan Savicevic

Predrag Mijatovic

Dragan Stojkovic

Sinisa Mihajlovic

Alen Boksic

And a few more I can't think of right now. Could've been a great team.

Even now, they would be fairly boss.

Begovic

Handanovic

Corluka

Ivanovic

Vidic

Kolarov

Krasic

Srna

Pranjic

Modric

Kranjcar

Eduardo

Jovanovic

Zigic

Olic

Pandev

Dzeko

------------------Begovic--------------

Corluka-----Ivanovic----Vidic-----Kolarov

-------------Srna------Pranjic---------

Krasic----------------------------Modric

--------------Dzeko---Pandev---------

Even now, they would be fairly boss.

Begovic

Handanovic

Corluka

Ivanovic

Vidic

Kolarov

Krasic

Srna

Pranjic

Modric

Kranjcar

Eduardo

Jovanovic

Zigic

Olic

Pandev

Dzeko

------------------Begovic--------------

Corluka-----Ivanovic----Vidic-----Kolarov

-------------Srna------Pranjic---------

Krasic----------------------------Modric

--------------Dzeko---Pandev---------

Don't forget Ibisevic. But anyway, most of the countries never wanted to be a part of Yugoslavia in the first place.

Don't forget Ibisevic. But anyway, most of the countries never wanted to be a part of Yugoslavia in the first place.

Very true,my wifes cousin he was in the UN married a girl from there in the mid 90's the stories she had to tell were shocking(most of her family murdered), next door neighbours who were friends before the wore basicly setting there former friends up for genicide, football was a very distant thought.

The Balkans have always produced technically excellent players and teams - their failing has always been their mental strength - when the pressure grows, they can't handle it.

But that Yugoslavia side won the 1987 Youth World Cup - and had some fantastic players - as did the 1991 European Cup winners Crvena Zvezda - who played great football until the Final - were they played for penalties - and won. Funnily enough, Marseille had Dragan Stoijkovic in their side.

Dejan Savicevic was an absolute gem, as was Zvonimir Boban. About a decade ago, Red Star had a brilliant winger called Perica Ognenovic, who went to Real Madrid. He was rated higher than Dejan Stankovic at the time, but he lacked the mental capacity to deal with playing at a higher level, so drifted out of the spotlight.

If Yugoslavia didn't break up, and Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, and Macedonia could collectively field a single team... they could have won the World Cup in 1994 and the European Championships in 1996. Look at the players that were around in the early to mid 90's for these countries...

Zvonimir Boban

Robert Prosinecki

Davor Suker

Robert Jarni

Dejan Savicevic

Predrag Mijatovic

Dragan Stojkovic

Sinisa Mihajlovic

Alen Boksic

And a few more I can't think of right now. Could've been a great team.

You missed one of the best of the lot: Zlatko Zahovic. Almost a 1 in 2 strike rate from midfield for Slovenia.

Begovic is Canadian.

Played in the U20 WC for the country that saved diabetics and Scottish sheep (invented insulin and the zipper).

He is not eligible for Bosnia and unlike that crocked pretty boy manc who learned his trade in Calgary Begovic recognized loyalty to the country that nurtured him.

Now, let's all put dresses and sing....

I'm a lumberjack and I'm all......

Begovic is Canadian.

Played in the U20 WC for the country that saved diabetics and Scottish sheep (invented insulin and the zipper).

He is not eligible for Bosnia and unlike that crocked pretty boy manc who learned his trade in Calgary Begovic recognized loyalty to the country that nurtured him.

Now, let's all put dresses and sing....

I'm a lumberjack and I'm all......

Then I wonder why he's got one international for Bosnia. He has a dual citizenship and playing U20 games does not mean you can't play senior games for another country.