You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thin Lizzy

Lurtz

Loving some of these recently. For an ugly, affro headed, moustacheoed fucker, Lynott was one cool bastard. Anyone have a particular favourite?

[YOUTUBE]cSo9CC2wKVI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CgvD4A0y3Ks[/YOUTUBE]

Think this has to be my personal favourite:

[YOUTUBE]gipG6jTb1Zs[/YOUTUBE]

I heard recently that this one never sold as many as it should have as radio 1 boycotted it because it had a picture of Peter Sutcliffe on the cover:

[YOUTUBE]2QTtXqDjNP4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZaGNAL_u-SU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oMFYs3gfgis[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TehFZ38kt6o[/YOUTUBE]

RL - just looking now at the single of "Killer....." that I bought at the time and it has a picture of a Chinese dragon on the front, so unless the Sutcliffe pic was an earlier version that was withdrawn I dont remember that. It probably didnt get a lot of airplay because the sentiments in the lyrics were a little uh....direct.

Still, a great band, my own personal faves besides the above would be "Bad Reputation"and "Opium Trail"

Edited by sparta7

Emerald is a great tune but in reality nearly every Lizzy track is monumentalily fucking superb. 3rd album is the best. Eric Bells guitar work is simply incredible. Philo is a true rock legend as well. Probably the greatest band to come out of Ireland. Nice one Lurtzy. Good way to start the afternoon.

Cowboy song look up live at Sydney Opera house on you tube. Great line up at that time. Saw them in dublin on LIFE/LIVE tour all the great guitarists played that night. Come to think about it has there ever been a band (that changed lineups) that had so many superb lead guitarists ? Eric bell / gary moore / brian robertson/ snowy white/ John Sykes / Scott gorham

Cowboy song look up live at Sydney Opera house on you tube. Great line up at that time. Saw them in dublin on LIFE/LIVE tour all the great guitarists played that night. Come to think about it has there ever been a band (that changed lineups) that had so many superb lead guitarists ? Eric bell / gary moore / brian robertson/ snowy white/ John Sykes / Scott gorham

Yeah when you look at those names its amazing the talent they had and Philo was a mean bass player as well.

blacked out stage bass intro for Renegade (not my favourite track but) spotlight comes on big phil one leg perched on speaker fuck me shivers down my spine. one word "Iconic".

He was a genuine rock star and followed the immortal line from Blade runner " the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and you burned very very brightly"

In saying that I saw Beyonce recently she would'nt move far up the bed.

I love Gary Moore his the best guitarist ever absoloute legend. Like some of Thin Lizzy songs but mot all. But i have every Garry Moore album there is and legit.

i actually have a decent Lynott story

i was working in a dudes house about 4 years ago, i arrive to tile his kitchen wall, during the day, i hear your man playing his base quitar, so obviously i ask, "are you in a band" (the dude was in his 50`s, no kid mind), and he says, "yeah, im actually Van Morrisons session bass guitarist", anway, one thing led to another, and he gets onto Phil lynott, telling me about Phil, how he was in Phils band, how much of a mad bastard he was, and obviously how he still misses him

anyway, he tells me this one story

the band where doing a tour of Germany, all of the band members where heavy into heroin and coke (besides the drummer, a youngish guy),

so, the band are in this plush hotel in Hamburg at about 3 am, the drinks are flowing and they have more fraulien groupies then you could shake a big stick at, BUT, they have no smack

Lynott asks 2 of the members to go meet some turkish dealer in such and such a place to buy 10 grands worth of smack!! a fair chunk, this was the early 80`s remember

so, the 2 band members go off to meet the dealer, when they meet the dealer, they expalin who they are, and what they want, the dealer was expecting them,

so, the dealer tells them to go back to the hotel, and he`ll bring the stuff(no money handed over), so thats grand, the lads get back to the hotel, and the dealer arrives after with the stuff, Lynott was in a back room playing pool, and as the guy that told me the story says, "very poorly, he was of his face on drink and could barely stand"

when the dealer asks for the money, Lynott propositions the dealer, "you beat me at pool, ill pay double, if i beat you, i pay half", the dealer takes one look at this drunken irishman and simply cannot belive his luck

so the game starts, and Lynott is missing everything, he can barely stand, never mind play pool, the turk is easily winning, just coming up to the black ball, the turk is lining up his shot, and lynott whips his kegs off and plonks his flute right on the table

the turk then proceeds to miss his shot and cannot concentrate one iota since lynott now has his cock on the table and everyone else is laughing their bollocks off

lynott then proceeds to clear up, and gets his smack for half price :thumbsup:

tiling the kitchen took me about 4 hours, but i listened to this guys stories for another 4, he was showing me photos, telling me Phil wrote "the boys are back in town" in about 10 minutes one day, i dragged the job out that i can tell ya

for me, their best tunes where

or

cowboy song

I love the lizzy.

Saw them loads of times, right back to the jailbreak tour in 1976 when I was a spotty faced teenager.

Whiskey in the jar holds great mems for me as copping off with some girl at a party. Played it loads of times that night.

Another of my favs is "A Night in the Life of a Blues Singer".

I saw then in Poole and blagged a photo pass and got to take their photos back stage, Phil was totally off his face.

Never tire of listening to Lizzy.