You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maradona ...

Jokerman

... banned for two months from all footballing activity, whatever that may mean. Think it's a bit harsh myself ...

Diego Maradona receives two-month ban for World Cup qualifier outburst | Football | guardian.co.uk

Diego Maradona receives two-month ban for World Cup qualifier outburst

A Fifa Disciplinary Committee has given the Argentina coach Diego Maradona a two-month ban "from all football related activity" and a 25,000 Swiss francs (£14,815) fine following his outburst at the end of his side's World Cup qualifier against Uruguay last month.

Maradona lashed out at his critics following his side's 1-0 win in Montevideo on 14 October, which secured their place at next summer's finals in South Africa.

The 49-year-old apologised for his comments at the hearing in Zurich today but Fifa opted to impose the ban as well as the fine.

Argentina struggled in their qualification campaign, and looked in danger of missing out on the World Cup finals before last month's narrow win secured their place.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it's a bit rich that journalists and commentators are allowed to push any bile-ridden agenda towards people , often having a massive impact on those people's lives & then when somebody has a good go back at them they pull up their petticoats & start squealing about being hard done to.

I often wish Rafa would get rid of some of the media vultures who hover around us & build a siege mentality instead of being thanked for always putting himself in front of the media and then getting filleted by them.

... banned for two months from all footballing activity, whatever that may mean. Think it's a bit harsh myself ...

Diego Maradona receives two-month ban for World Cup qualifier outburst | Football | guardian.co.uk

Diego Maradona receives two-month ban for World Cup qualifier outburst

A Fifa Disciplinary Committee has given the Argentina coach Diego Maradona a two-month ban "from all football related activity" and a 25,000 Swiss francs (£14,815) fine following his outburst at the end of his side's World Cup qualifier against Uruguay last month.

Maradona lashed out at his critics following his side's 1-0 win in Montevideo on 14 October, which secured their place at next summer's finals in South Africa.

The 49-year-old apologised for his comments at the hearing in Zurich today but Fifa opted to impose the ban as well as the fine.

Argentina struggled in their qualification campaign, and looked in danger of missing out on the World Cup finals before last month's narrow win secured their place.

Does it mean 2 month match ban or plain 2 months

I do think it's a bit rich that journalists and commentators are allowed to push any bile-ridden agenda towards people , often having a massive impact on those people's lives & then when somebody has a good go back at them they pull up their petticoats & start squealing about being hard done to.

I often wish Rafa would get rid of some of the media vultures who hover around us & build a siege mentality instead of being thanked for always putting himself in front of the media and then getting filleted by them.

Surely this isn't about the media causing problems; it's about the marketability of FIFA's product.

Surely this isn't about the media causing problems; it's about the marketability of FIFA's product.

You are totally correct Piscinin , but I do have a general dislike for the way sports journalism is going & having seemingly never-ending press conferences with these jackals will obviously light the blue touchpaper at times.

ps At least Diego never shot anybody this time so maybe he should have got a fair play award.

So, the Argentine FA has to continue paying Maradona for 2 months when he isn't able to do any work, due to a sanction imposed by FIFA. The same FIFA who have as vice-president, the president of the Argentinian FA, Julio Grondona. Who is himself a bit of a media whore. Appointing Maradona was a means for Grondona to appease the Argentinian public with a figure they almost universally adore, and gain some popularity back from the public who don't like him very much. I get the impression Grondona now thinks he fucked up by appointing Maradona, has had a few slings and arrows fired his way within FIFA's corridors, so now wants Maradona to jump rather than be pushed, as another face-saving exercise.

All while Brazil are looking healthy on the pitch, and can look forward to hosting the World Cup in 2014, with all the economic benefits that's likely to bring. It's one of the reasons why Brazil have largely managed to stay ahead, since however much they try to fuck things up for themselves politically and economically, the Argentines always manage to go one step further.

You are totally correct Piscinin , but I do have a general dislike for the way sports journalism is going & having seemingly never-ending press conferences with these jackals will obviously light the blue touchpaper at times.

ps At least Diego never shot anybody this time so maybe he should have got a fair play award.

I know what you mean. In their defence they'll say they only write what gets read and that they are what we make them and we've made them gossip columnists. They're not sports journalists by any stretch of the imaginationl nobody reads real sports journalists anymore.

So he'll miss one friendly against the Czech Republic.

I reckon Argentina ought to cancel that friendly, and tell the Czechs to submit an invoice for lost earnings to FIFA.

(pulling on Kevin Keegan mask)

I'd love it, just love it, to see Diego marching up the steps next year, to pick up the trophy from Sepp Blatter. Big grin on his face, and (the inevitable) tears rolling down his cheeks. And the FIFA apparatchiks just standing there, gritting their teeth.

:whistle:

I reckon Argentina ought to cancel that friendly, and tell the Czechs to submit an invoice for lost earnings to FIFA.

I'd love it, just love it, to see Diego marching up the steps next year, to pick up the trophy from Sepp Blatter. Big grin on his face, and (the inevitable) tears rolling down his cheeks. And the FIFA apparatchiks just standing there, gritting their teeth.

nah they would take care of that right away by telling the ref's to do their "work" just like in south korea when they got that far by awful corrupt decision going their way

YouTube - 2002 World Cup South Korea fixed games

cant embed it

Me too. With all the turmoil that's surrounded Maradona and Argentina since his appointment and the poor job he's done so far and the difficulty they went through in securing qualification despite the talent they have in the squad ... it's almost inevitable it'll happen too.

• 7 months later...