You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
That's not what you were saying before we signed him!!!!!

To be fair to Seraf, his knowledge of serie a is far, far greater than anyone else's on here, lets hope he is right.

It's encouraging how highly the natives seem to rate him

Always said he was good, just concerned about his injuries also considering the kind of physical contact you have in Premier League. Juventus chased him for a long while...

Considering that Juve paid 25 mil € for Diego, I think Aquilani was a bit expensive but still a good signing.

To be fair to Seraf, his knowledge of serie a is far, far greater than anyone else's on here, lets hope he is right.

It's encouraging how highly the natives seem to rate him

Yeah, no shit Sherlock.

Just saying that what he first said when we were linked with him, to what he's saying now, are two 'slightly' different things to say the least.

Definitely agree about the last part.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Yeah, no shit Sherlock.

Just saying that what he first said when we were linked with him, to what he's saying now, are two 'slightly' different things to say the least.

Definitely agree about the last part.

Must be your memory, as the verdict at the time was pretty much as above as far as I can remember.

Why? What did I say?

I was surprised to see Liverpool linked to an Italian player who had been out for a while (also considering that Dossena was a major flop over here)

Again if he stays fit I can see him doing really really well (he will need a couple of months though to adapt and then to play at his best)

However, if his injuries carry on this season he will struggle a lot and I can see how fans will criticise his capture...

No he wasn't, I meant Aquilani was injured for a while.

Regarding Dossena there isn't much to say really, we all know why he failed...

And let me add that if he genuinely was a great left-back one of the top three Italian clubs would have got him before Liverpool...

My only concern about Aquilani (bar his fitness), is whether Rafa will let him have the sort of freedom he had at Roma, to play his natural game. From the times Rafa has spoke about Aquilani, it seems this will be the case (e.g. the comment about him being able to play more forward than Mascherano and Lucas), but we all know Benitez likes his two central midfielders to be disciplined and play to specific instructions which sometimes limit their strengths as players. Really excited to see him play though, as he could potentially give us another dimension in our play from midfield.

This may be considered sacrilegious by many on here, but have you considered that he may end up playing behind Torres with Gerrard starting next to Mascherano, but with freedom to roam? Without having seen both in the same side, I am not sure which would suit best, but from the kind of player Aquilani appears to be I have a feeling he would be as suited to either role, as would Gerrard. It may even turn out that Aquilani playing forward of Gerrard is in fact better for the team.

No he wasn't, I meant Aquilani was injured for a while.

Regarding Dossena there isn't much to say really, we all know why he failed...

And let me add that if he genuinely was a great left-back one of the top three Italian clubs would have got him before Liverpool...

I dont know what was the cause of Dossenas move to Napoli collapsing but if it was over personal terms, hes obviously happy to be 3rd choice left back for us, No world cup for the tubby 1 next summer.

Can I ask why no Italian top 3 team went after Aquilani if that is par for the course for top Italians?

I suspect it is the injuries but if not any info would be interesting

He was a bit of a local Roma hero wasnt he, bit like Totti is, maybe thats why?

yes that has a lot to do with it. Aquilani is a Roma born and bred and for him it would have been much more complicated to sign for Juve, Milan and Inter.

Then of course his injuries kept all the big teams away. Italian clubs can't afford to gamble that much on players nowadays, Juventus for instance needed someone good and fit straight away and they signed Diego. Inter went for Sneijder...

Captain: I am not saying Aquilani is going to be a flop just because Dossena was a flop, but sometimes you have to take into account style of play and nationality when you judge a player.

Ex: In Italy many believe Spanish players don't suit Serie A...Lazio for instance got so screwed with Mendieta.

So I thought Liverpool would have been reluctant to sign another Italian player after Dossena and didn't expect them to go for Aquilani as simple as that.