You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

Well, it's hard to maintain complete respect for someone - whoever he is - who says just six weeks ago that Torres would "never" be sold, "not for any price", and that if the club sold him "I would walk". Then yesterday - just 6 weeks later - says the club would have to consider a hypothetical bid of £100m as it may be in the club's best interests? Yes, I find that behaviour inconsistent and thus difficult to respect.

I'm not saying the manager is solely motivated by cash, but that he seemingly won't walk and thus miss out on £15m+ in compensation. Oh, and there is no way that Madrid under Valdano and Perez would be an attractive proposition for Rafa.

Ok then.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's hard to maintain complete respect for someone - whoever he is - who says just six weeks ago that Torres would "never" be sold, "not for any price", and that if the club sold him "I would walk". Then yesterday - just 6 weeks later - says the club would have to consider a hypothetical bid of £100m as it may be in the club's best interests? Yes, I find that behaviour inconsistent and thus difficult to respect.

I'm not saying the manager is solely motivated by cash, but that he seemingly won't walk and thus miss out on £15m+ in compensation. Oh, and there is no way that Madrid under Valdano and Perez would be an attractive proposition for Rafa.

So you can't actually see what Rafa is doing here? You really can't?

Still amazes me that people are so happy to turn a blind eye to great work that Rafa does in making sure the total shitness of our owners is kept in the public eye as much as possible. This is yet another case of Rafa using an issue where he could have easily just said "no, he's not for sale for any price" but instead used it to point out to the people that don't know that the owners are refusing to invest in the team and that it could kill this club long term. But no, Rafa is somehow seen as only looking out for himself. Amazing. Another case of how shite are owners are been put in the press to raise awareness, and it is used to have a go at the person who did it. really fuckin amazing.

So you can't actually see what Rafa is doing here? You really can't?

Still amazes me that people are so happy to turn a blind eye to great work that Rafa does in making sure the total shitness of our owners is kept in the public eye as much as possible. This is yet another case of Rafa using an issue where he could have easily just said "no, he's not for sale for any price" but instead used it to point out to the people that don't know that the owners are refusing to invest in the team and that it could kill this club long term. But no, Rafa is somehow seen as only looking out for himself. Amazing. Another case of how shite are owners are been put in the press to raise awareness, and it is used to have a go at the person who did it. really fuckin amazing.

You think he is being scheming and machiavellian; I simply don't. I think he has sided with Hicks over the past 18 months because he knows that a change of ownership means he is out of his job. In your predictable rush to defend every utterance that comes out of Rafa's mouth (and they are increasingly erratic and bizarre), i think you're neglecting the fact that actually he gets on very well with Hicks now, who sided with him over Parry and then over his contract. You cannot simply ignore that.

If he wanted to put pressure on the owners, he does it far, far more effectively by saying - as he did six weeks ago - that Torres cannot be sold and that he would walk if the board sold him against his wishes. Instead, he's doing the owners dirty work for them by making this seem reasonable, rational and good 'business', which he would discuss with them.

Indeed, following your reasoning that Rafa's motivations are always cunningly hidden and that nothing he says can be read at face-value, then maybe one could actually conclude it is actually a machiavellian scheme to force Gerrard (whom he is clearly on icy terms at the moment) and even Torres out of the club?

You think he is being scheming and machiavellian; I simply don't. I think he has sided with Hicks over the past 18 months because he knows that a change of ownership means he is out of his job. In your predictable rush to defend every utterance that comes out of Rafa's mouth (and they are increasingly erratic and bizarre), i think you're neglecting the fact that actually he gets on very well with Hicks now, who sided with him over Parry and then over his contract. You cannot simply ignore that.

If he wanted to put pressure on the owners, he does it far, far more effectively by saying - as he did six weeks ago - that Torres cannot be sold and that he would walk if the board sold him against his wishes. Instead, he's doing the owners dirty work for them by making this seem reasonable, rational and good 'business', which he would discuss with them.

Indeed, following your reasoning that Rafa's motivations are always cunningly hidden and that nothing he says can be read at face-value, then maybe one could actually conclude it is actually a machiavellian scheme to force Gerrard (whom he is clearly on icy terms at the moment) and even Torres out of the club?

You are all kinds of wrong here and it's so obvious it's almost like you're doing it on purpose.

I read that and genuinly didn't bother reading any more as it is the typically stupid reply to anyone who doesn't think Rafa is an idiot. I'll never understand why you people can't just have a discussion without resorting to rubbish like that. Had you ever read any of my comments on the manager you'd know you're just writing nonsense.

I'll never understand why you people can't just have a discussion without resorting to rubbish like that.

whereas your considered earlier repsonse of "really fuckin amazing" is the stuff of good, rational, intellectual discussion?! Right...

Yes, we disagree - let's leave it at that and neither of us should retort to cheap jibes!

You are talking about hypothetical situations and projecting to the future without the information necessary to have a measured opinion, taking the worst case scenario as your base line.

There are quotes flying every week. Above you mix some of the quotes by equating "the club" and and the manager. Then you proceed to speculate about Benitez and how he "seemingly won't walk", and then speculate about Benitez and RM, these both without any direct quotes.

We have enough existing problems, starting with the owners and culminating in the performances on the pitch, why add to them by parsing some articles in newspapers. Benitez will give tons of interviews before anything will happen regarding Torres and Gerrard. In some of them he will probably contradict himself. He is difficult to read, but most of his interviews and decisions are fairly logical and well thought through, you just have to wait a while and let the events run their course.

I read that and genuinly didn't bother reading any more as it is the typically stupid reply to anyone who doesn't think Rafa is an idiot. I'll never understand why you people can't just have a discussion without resorting to rubbish like that. Had you ever read any of my comments on the manager you'd know you're just writing nonsense.

Thats why i jibbed talking to him, blind hatred clouds all rational debate.

The pressure that comes with being in charge of a club that is desperate to win the league after 20 years but having a noticably smaller budget then the other top 4/5 clubs, your total lack of respect towards the current Liverpool manager is a joke, I noticed you said fuck all over the fact he could get far more money at Madrid if he wanted seen as you believe him to be motivated by cash.

TBH if Madrid wanted him/he wanted to go there, they would already have him. I think you are mistaken there. There is not a good relationship there.

TBH if Madrid wanted him/he wanted to go there, they would already have him. I think you are mistaken there. There is not a good relationship there.

Maybe not now but I dont see how anyone could deny they have wanted him in the past, the point was if he was financially motivated he could have moved on and got more money elsewhere but he isnt.

I think Rafa has had his chain pulled by the owners for stating that Torres would never be sold i think they have told him everyone has a price and if a figure mentioned is greater than the value Liverpool place on him then he would be sold, quite what that figure would be though is anyones guess

Reading between the lines the first statement was purley about Torres the second includes Gerrard from that i would read it as a way of telling clubs that we would consider bids for Gerrard in the summer?

What do you mean "you people"?

Onouha from city looks like the right back on loan

The lad can operate at right back aswel as centre back. From what ive seen of Onouha he seems to have potential, i think for England U21s in the championships just gone he played as a centre half, pretty quick and strong,IMO definatly seems to have a better understand of the game compared to his mate Richards, would be happy with this deal if it were to happen, bit strange Citeh would be willing to give us one of thier promising young players on loan, like atk said,it may be with a view to a permanent.

lets wait and see...

I'd be happy enough with Onouha, good defender, good in the air and exceptionally quick. I think he was a sprinter when he was younger. The only negative would be it'd push Kelly further away from the first team. Can't see city letting him join on loan though, it's not as if they need the money.

Better than Skrtel.

Is he fuck!

Skrtel was boss last season and just because he's not been on top form this season, does not mean we should forget how good he can be.

I think Onouha would be a good signing and he has a lot of potential, but he's not better than Skrtel. Who for some reason is getting slated by our fans.