You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who was our biggest unsung hero of 2008/2009?

Liverpool for a long time was known as a one player team, and without Stevie G we were regarded as weak. Then the arrival of Torres changed this to a two player team, but in my eyes this is totally wrong and completely derogatory to the rest of the team so with this in mind who do you believe is the biggest unsung hero to grace the green green grass of anfield? is it Kuyt, Carra, Masch, Alonso or my own personal opinion Pepe.

I don't think anyone who plays well for Liverpool consistently is ever "unsung", however as a long-standing fan of both Kuyt and Alonso, I was quite angry at some of the abuse meted out to both of them before last season, so seeing both players have such good seasons was very satisfying.

Although unsurprising, as quality players will quite often have good seasons, because they're quality players.

Yossi Benayoun and Fabio Aurelio.

Two players I wouldn't have been too sad to see leave last summer. How wrong I was.

We'd pay £15m - £20m in today's market for a player of Yossi's ability, he really had a cracking second half of the season.

Aurelio was a revelation too bar two shockers against Arsenal and Chelsea at the end of the season. A real goal threat from set pieces now too. Another devastating blow for him and us if the rumours about his injury being a serious one are true.

Liverpool for a long time was known as a one player team, and without Stevie G we were regarded as weak. Then the arrival of Torres changed this to a two player team, but in my eyes this is totally wrong and completely derogatory to the rest of the team so with this in mind who do you believe is the biggest unsung hero to grace the green green grass of anfield? is it Kuyt, Carra, Masch, Alonso or my own personal opinion Pepe.

For me its Kuyt, 12 goals 8 assists and some crucial ones aswell.

Reina, Aurelio, Carra also get honourable mentions.

Pepe for me too probably. One of the best keepers in the world but he never gets the acclaim that he deserves. He played well week in, week out last season, giving us a sound base yet the guy is never mentioned by anyone in the media or by anyone outside our club.

One day they'll all catch on.

I'll say pepe aswell. in overall he is very important to the way we play, his distribution, awareness is second to none. in my opinion he is as good as casillas.and still young too.

special menton to : Fabio,Riera(I mean it).

Pepe for me too probably. One of the best keepers in the world but he never gets the acclaim that he deserves. He played well week in, week out last season, giving us a sound base yet the guy is never mentioned by anyone in the media or by anyone outside our club.

One day they'll all catch on.

I didn't realise to such extent how true this is - i went out for some ale with a mate of mine one day and obviously football was a main topic. I told him that there were 10 keepers better than his in the Premiership - he's a gooner by the way, and he got really arsey when i suggested Reina was in the top 5 keepers in Europe. A manc recommended i take off my rose tinted spectacles in the past, for saying Reina is better than Van Der Sar.

Reina is rarely given the accolades and its always annoyed me why no one else can see how good he is - given our long list of error prone keepers in the past, you would think as he hardly ever drops clangers these days, the rest of the footballing world might cop on a bit. But then again i suppose the slightest mistake would be highlighted by sly or MOTD and thats what most 'fans' base their opinion on.

Fuck them, Pepe is the best in the Prem as far as im concerned, and if he continues doing what he does, under the radar - thats fine by me.

yea sopt on, as a whole the media see's liverpool as a two player team but over the course of last season this impression has started to ease off with the help of a good title run. Pepe like all goalkeepers does make the odd mistake but not too would require superhuman abilities but the fact that he reached 100 clean sheets in 197 apps and has won the golden glove award for the past 3 seasons (only just missing out this season) it amazes me how he still fails to recieve the superlatives he deserves.

I think everybody agrees that Alonso had a great season so I'll leave him out of it. Benayoun did really well particularly in the second half of the season and kept both Babel and Riera out of the side by the end but I think Dirk Kuyt had his best season for us. he's made the right side position his own and he chipped in with I think his best seasons tally of goals. It goes without saying that he is the hardest working in player in the world ever but he hasn't been able to match work rate with end product until last season.

footnote on Arbeloa. I think he is a decent player, a good option at right back but he had that position to himself last season and he couldn't make it his own. His passing and willingness to get forward and his ability to get back are good but his defending and inability to cross the ball came very much to my attention last season. I think his flaws were exposed last season and it was probably his worst season since he came here. That said I don't think he is finished, he could still become a top class full back if stays and works on his weaknesses and I think he is good enough to challenge Johnson for the right back slot and Rafa likes to rotate his full backs more than probably any other position so it wouldn't be like he wouldn't play much if he stayed

Pepe like all goalkeepers does make the odd mistake but not too would require superhuman abilities but the fact that he reached 100 clean sheets in 197 apps and has won the golden glove award for the past 3 seasons (only just missing out this season) it amazes me how he still fails to recieve the superlatives he deserves.

It's not that amazing really. He isn't going to win that many headlines because he rarely has to make match-winning saves. There's been plenty of games in the last few years where any one of us could have gone in goal and kept a clean sheet. That's not to say Pepe isn't up there with the best, but there are a lot of games when he has little more to do other than take a couple of goalkicks.