You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest ShoePiss

Guest ShoePiss
ha ha just yankin ya chain mate. Agree with you about controlling the temp on a wood burner, closest I get is using the weber temp indicator for indirect cooking. That meat must fall off the bone after 14 hours, but haven't the guests all gone by then:P

It does fall off the bone, 14hrs for a 7-10lb chunk of pork, I'd upload a pic up but I'm out in the sticks camping and connecting on a really slow connection through iphone. You'll be pleased to know I cooked dinner on the open fire tonight...only because I forgot my portable weber gas grill!

Got my Mum over from Liverpool so I've taken her to the coast in this thing called a Yurt, it's like a tent but has power, heating and beds...I'm sure Melons will not approve but the place is superb.

Check it :- Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

deluxeyurts.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
The beauty of these, I assume, is that the cream cheese fights off some of the fire in the chillies, but still lets the heat come through.

Sounds good to me.

Exactly right, jalapenos aren't that hot to start with and when they've been cooked they become a little sweet but the cream cheese defo takes the edge off them. Heart attack food so I only have one or two but they're quick, easy and cheap to make. I've not met anyone that doesn't like them, even weird vegetarians like them without the bacon.

Recently had bone-in rib eye steaks. Delicious. Then a few days later cooked a whole pork tenderloin - made the outside crispy and the inside very tender. It didn't dry out. A very good way to cook a whole pork joint. Loving the bbq. Having it 2-3 times a week at the moment. Bratwirst. Ribs. Steak. All good stuff. Recently cooked corn on the cob on the bbq for the first time (fresh, still in the huusk) - absolutely delicious.

Guest ShoePiss
Stumpy - where can I get me one of those Perfect Flame machines? I've just spent literally minutes scouring the interweb but to no avail. Can you only get them in P-Town?

Perfect Flame at Lowe's: 36" LP Smoker

I want a bigger one now, I think it's like boats. Once you buy one you always think you need a little more room.

Those disposables are so crap its unbelievable. They literally seem to have about 6 charcoal briquettes in them. I've never managed to cook more than about 3 sausages on the things.

I find those lumpwood bags where you light the whole bag are great. At the weekend I couldn't get any and had to do it with those awful briquettes. Took me about 2 hours to get the thing going even with lighter cubes in there. A cup of Methylated spirit was the only thing to get the buggers burning.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that gas barbecues stink from all the fat? Friends have them and rave but i find the smell of old rancid fat quite nauseating. I know you empty that little drip tray but even so they do seem to hum a fair bit.

That Yurt in Oregan looks the absolute dogs' danglies.

I'd like to get something like this, it's electric and has an automated system so when one of the hockey puck like pieces of wood is burnt another one is loaded

Bradley Smokers

That's the one I have. The construction is shoddy, (took 3 goes before we got a motorized advancer thingy that worked and the pucks stick in the stack on occasion) and each puck only lasts 20 minutes, so if you like to cold smoke it costs a fortune. I only use it when I'm going to smoke a whole bunch for a get together or if I'm going deep freeze it.

Those disposables are so crap its unbelievable. They literally seem to have about 6 charcoal briquettes in them. I've never managed to cook more than about 3 sausages on the things.

I find those lumpwood bags where you light the whole bag are great. At the weekend I couldn't get any and had to do it with those awful briquettes. Took me about 2 hours to get the thing going even with lighter cubes in there. A cup of Methylated spirit was the only thing to get the buggers burning.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that gas barbecues stink from all the fat? Friends have them and rave but i find the smell of old rancid fat quite nauseating. I know you empty that little drip tray but even so they do seem to hum a fair bit.

That Yurt in Oregan looks the absolute dogs' danglies.

The bags of charcoal are very good but don't last long enough. I like to spread the cooking our over a couple of hours, so find the charcoals much better and just addd handfull every hour to keep it going. When trying to get it started though, the box says you need 2/3 firelighters but I always use between 7-10 just to make sure!

Gas bbq's are shit and just don't smell right at all.

I've cast off artificial barbies some years ago. They're a bit passe in this neck of the woods. Plus of course, I am Man. I make fire (in my Weber round barbecue). You can cook anything in it.

My mate goes the whole hog, quite literally, and his otherwise perfectly manicured garden is strewn with scorched pits, a bit like a heavily mined Laos orchard, from where he's been up since the crack of dawn burying most of a pig under hot coals. Always tastes great, but his neighbours are surely suspicious of him manhandling huge wads of dead flesh and burying them at the bottom of the garden before anyone in their right minds has risen from their beds.

Guest ShoePiss
That's the one I have. The construction is shoddy, (took 3 goes before we got a motorized advancer thingy that worked and the pucks stick in the stack on occasion) and each puck only lasts 20 minutes, so if you like to cold smoke it costs a fortune. I only use it when I'm going to smoke a whole bunch for a get together or if I'm going deep freeze it.

Interesting and I suppose you can only use their pucks too. $45 for 120 on their website.

Traeger is another one that interests me. Even smoke and temperature but they're ridiculously expensive. So much for supporting local businesses, they're based not far from me. The one I've got works fine, even did some smoked cheese over the winter but it would be nice to have a set it and forget it set up for long smokes like pork shoulder.

Interesting and I suppose you can only use their pucks too. $45 for 120 on their website.

Traeger is another one that interests me. Even smoke and temperature but they're ridiculously expensive. So much for supporting local businesses, they're based not far from me. The one I've got works fine, even did some smoked cheese over the winter but it would be nice to have a set it and forget it set up for long smokes like pork shoulder.

Yep. The pucks are some weird compressed chip board stuff, engineered for a smooth consistent burn or some other such BS.

Guest ShoePiss
Hmm, the smell from the one I have going outside is lovely.

Brahma's and BBQ's. Beautiful

get some pics up and tell us what you did.