You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guillem: There is an interesting situation surrounding Xabi Alonso - who probably thought at one point that he would be leaving Liverpool and, instead, he has risen to the challenge of trying to prove to everyone that he was good enough to be at Liverpool. And he is having probably his best season at...

Benitez: The first year was really good and this year he is also playing really well. You know that we had an offer from Juventus: we were asking for a big price because he is a big player. They couldn`t give us the price that we wanted so that`s it. In the end, Xabi has been having a very good season; he has been playing well in a lot of games and is a key player for us.

Guillem: You are counting on him for the near future?

Benitez: Yes, we have a lot of confidence in him because he is playing really well and he is a player we want to keep because he has the quality, and the game, that we need.

Rest of the (yet again, brilliant) interview here: Guillem Balague Football Website | Rafa Benitez on Signings, Silva and Scouse

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hoping my instincts are not true but since when has Rafa said about not selling a player has it not happened. He has a habit for it. If Xabi leaves, bar essien, Xavi or Iniesta coming in we will be a far weaker side for it.

I hope to fuck he stays but i'll only be happy when he signs a new deal. I'm notsure that'll happen tbh

I wouldn't read too much into this. Managers and clubs always say things like this, 'he's the player we want to keep,' 'this or that player is not for sales,' etc. But if the price is right, anything can happen. I believe everybody wanted to keep Zidane but yet he moved to several clubs. And in Xabi case, the only reason he's still here was that Juventus didn't match the price WE asked. So I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

I just read Fabregas interview and in it he says Alonso is his best mate and they talk every day. Wouldn't rule out both of them playing for Real Madrid next season.

The thought of The Great Beard soiling himself by playing alongside snidey fucks like Fabregas and Ronaldo deeply saddens me.