You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

So what you're saying is Emma Little-Pengelly is smoked salmon vol-au-vents, and Michelle O'Neill is cheese and pineapple on a stick.

Emma made a peaceful legitimate request for pineapple on a stick whilst Michelle wanted pizza

14 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Cara Hunter is a fantastic name to pronounce in a northern Irish accent.

Hahahaha "Listen, I'm not into any weird shit or anything but could you possibly say your full name over and over during the shenanigans?" 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha "Listen, I'm not into any weird shit or anything but could you possibly say your full name over and over during the shenanigans?" 

Stringvest saying his name over and over during shenanigans is not something you’d classify as “weird shit”.

Each to their own I suppose, and I applaud your openness as to your sexual wants and needs. 

11 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Stringvest saying his name over and over during shenanigans is not something you’d classify as “weird shit”.

Each to their own I suppose, and I applaud your openness as to your sexual wants and needs. 

If you'd met him in real life you'd understand. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2024/0208/1431164-belfast-shootings-1972/

"The soldiers involved were members of the Military Reaction Force, a shadowy undercover unit which operated in plain clothes and used civilian cars." 

But you MUST wear your poppy to remember those army men who wandered around in plain clothes killing your innocent friends and family members. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Carradona said:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2024/0208/1431164-belfast-shootings-1972/

"The soldiers involved were members of the Military Reaction Force, a shadowy undercover unit which operated in plain clothes and used civilian cars." 

But you MUST wear your poppy to remember those army men who wandered around in plain clothes killing your innocent friends and family members. 

I'm not gonna wade into this because I know fuck all about it, but this is the problem when you use soldiers in civilian areas. It's a different mindset to policing, and a different type of person that's attracted to it as a job.

I remember when the fire brigade went on strike over here years ago, I was working in a pub and a load of Welsh guards were in there who'd been manning green goddess fire engines in the area for a while, and they were laughing about someone they'd pulled out of a fire who was black and charred from the fire. I was like 'hmmm'. 

A lot of people who join the army, for all the king and country and 'learning a trade' patter, quite like the idea of killing someone, or at the very least would probably be desensitised to the idea of it. 

If the coppers went on strike and you put troops on the streets of Liverpool, I'd give it two weeks max before someone got killed.  

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not gonna wade into this because I know fuck all about it, but this is the problem when you use soldiers in civilian areas. It's a different mindset to policing, and a different type of person that's attracted to it as a job.

I remember when the fire brigade went on strike over here years ago, I was working in a pub and a load of Welsh guards were in there who'd been manning green goddess fire engines in the area for a while, and they were laughing about someone they'd pulled out of a fire who was black and charred from the fire. I was like 'hmmm'. 

A lot of people who join the army, for all the king and country and 'learning a trade' patter, quite like the idea of killing someone, or at the very least would probably be desensitised to the idea of it. 

If the coppers went on strike and you put troops on the streets of Liverpool, I'd give it two weeks max before someone got killed.  

It also doesn't help the situation when the Army and the local (sectarian at the time) police force were in cahoots with the Loyalist paramilitaries, feeding them intel. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across a documentary on BBC iPlayer last night about the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash in 1994, that wiped out virtually all of the senior NI security apparatus from MI5, RUC and the Army.

Seasoned Special Forces pilots, one of whom was on the Bravo Two Zero operation in Iraq, apparently flying too fast and too low in fog.

The pilots' gross negligence initially found to be the cause, but there were serious flaws in the Chinook HC2 variant and eventually by 2011 the original decision was overturned. It was implied that there has been a cover up of the proportions of Bloody Sunday and Hillsborough, and that the official records into the inquiry won't be released until 2094.

Not massively relevant to the current situation over there, but recommended viewing for anyone interested in the history of the conflict.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001vxy8/chinook-zulu-delta-576

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine your home being pillaged, your home town being overrun. Treated like shit and abused. Can’t get a proper job, always under superstition etc in your own fucking country. 

“The British were never in Ireland by invitation so you tell me who’s the fucking terrorist” 

Always worth a thought that last line. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Imagine your home being pillaged, your home town being overrun. Treated like shit and abused. Can’t get a proper job, always under superstition etc in your own fucking country. 

I can’t as I’ve never lived in Runcorn.