You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's my Mrs's hometown and we go over a few times a year, it breaks my heart this as it's a lovely place with lovely people. My Mrs was on the outskirts of town when the bomb went off with her mate, she said her mum and dad heard it from miles away and were frantic trying to get hold of her, it was the age before mobile phones.

She wasn't that close to it as she was on the outskirts of the town centre but she cried when she told me about it once and said she didn't even know why she was crying.

Her mum is constantly worried about the troubles coming back. It's just not fair on the people or the place.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

What is the level of support for dissident Republicans in the nationalist community (among people, not the political establishment) at the moment, is it on the rise or dwindling, compared to like five or then years ago?

It's hard to say (I have no particular insight into republican mood) but my instinct is pretty low and probably about the same as it was five/ten years ago. You're not going to find many people openly admitting support for it anyway. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SasaS said:

What is the level of support for dissident Republicans in the nationalist community (among people, not the political establishment) at the moment, is it on the rise or dwindling, compared to like five or then years ago?

Dissidents are absolute scum of the earth who are threatening the relative peace that took so long to achieve. I have mates in Belfast, Derry, Donegal, Dublin and Cork and have never heard any of them talk about support of dissidents. 

It doesn't help that there are politicians stirring up hate at the moment, with stupid people happy to lap it up.

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, SasaS said:

Some decent and interesting insight into dissident republicans in the first segment of this show last night.

14 hours ago, Carradona said:

Dissidents are absolute scum of the earth who are threatening the relative peace that took so long to achieve. I have mates in Belfast, Derry, Donegal, Dublin and Cork and have never heard any of them talk about support of dissidents. 

It doesn't help that there are politicians stirring up hate at the moment, with stupid people happy to lap it up.

This is completely irrelevant. The ONLY people who should be shouldering any blame whatsoever for this are the few dickheads who planned it, carried it out and support it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

This is completely irrelevant. The ONLY people who should be shouldering any blame whatsoever for this are the few dickheads who planned it, carried it out and support it.

It's hardly 'completely irrelevant' at all. Of course whoever did this is responsible but to suggest the hate that politicians stirring up isn't a factor is nonsense. Look at the migrant stuff in the UK. They know full well what they're doing. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Some decent and interesting insight into dissident republicans in the first segment of this show last night.

Thanks, I will check it out.

I have not been following it much over the past years (used to be much more clued up on it), but some five to ten years ago, from media and other reports, the support for dissidents was still marginal, but growing, as they were successfully tapping into the dissatisfaction of primarily disenfranchised youth (or at least youth that saw themselves like that) in towns like Derry. Not necessarily support for bombing and assassination campaigns, but definitely as rejection of what they perceived as the continuation of self serving "Armani brigade" in the Republican establishment and obviously, betrayal of the cause through accepting the Good Friday Agreement.

So I was wandering how is this going now in post-Covid times with all types of anti-establishment rhetoric and movements on the rise, with electoral successes continually moving mainstream Republicans into... well... general political mainstream

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

It's hardly 'completely irrelevant' at all. Of course whoever did this is responsible but to suggest the hate that politicians stirring up isn't a factor is nonsense. Look at the migrant stuff in the UK. They know full well what they're doing. 

Which politicians are stirring up hate that would lead to someone shooting a policeman? 

44 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

What are the feelings of those living there? Is there a sense of inevitability that the troubles start again or is it very much marginalised?

I'm absolutely no expert on this at all, but from my own in-laws and Mrs's friends, the older generation worry about it coming back and the younger generation can't get their head around it. 

Personally, just from a practical standpoint, I can't see the troubles ever coming back to anywhere near that degree, for the following:

Religion is declining both north and south of the border. 

There's far less funding available to dissident groups. 

The Republicans are likely to get a united Ireland anyway at some point the way things are going. 

Also, the security services have advanced massively in the last few decades and the terror groups haven't. It's all about surveillance now, information, data. 

They'd be fight the war with whatever bombs and guns they could scramble together, MI5 and the likes probably know where they all live and how often they take a shit.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Religion is declining both north and south of the border. 

Has it ever been about religion though?

I'd say from my vantage point that the main reason is that what they used to call the Orange State has been dismantled by the peace process, so there is much, much less chance of situation in which one community would see an explosion of "defenderist" attitudes. There is probably more chance of some Protestant (Unionist) paramilitarism becoming more active down the line, if unification appears on the horizon as a realistic possibility.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Which politicians are stirring up hate that would lead to someone shooting a policeman? 

This might be worth a read? 

Most Unionists Would Now Ditch the Good Friday Agreement, According to Polls – Byline Times

I'm sure Carradona can speak for who he was referring too but I was mainly talking about politicians in general. Politicians whip people into a frenzy. They don't pull the trigger but fuck me they aren't 'irrelevant'. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This might be worth a read? 

Most Unionists Would Now Ditch the Good Friday Agreement, According to Polls – Byline Times

I'm sure Carradona can speak for who he was referring too but I was mainly talking about politicians in general. Politicians whip people into a frenzy. They don't pull the trigger but fuck me they aren't 'irrelevant'. 

Yes, I'm aware that unionist support for the GFA isn't great. What's it got to do with dissident republicans shooting a police officer? 

Again - which politicians, in your opinion, are whipping people into a frenzy that would lead to someone shooting a policeman? 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Yes, I'm aware that unionist support for the GFA isn't great. What's it got to do with dissident republicans shooting a police officer? 

Again - which politicians, in your opinion, are whipping people into a frenzy that would lead to someone shooting a policeman? 

The DUP are very inflammatory. Are you suggesting they aren’t? Are you really suggesting that inflammatory words from politicians don’t fan the flames of violence and activism? Really? 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The DUP are very inflammatory. Are you suggesting they aren’t? Are you really suggesting that inflammatory words from politicians don’t fan the flames of violence and activism? Really? 

Of course I'm not suggesting that. I haven't said anything like that. That can and does happen, yes. 

I've been talking about this specific example. It seems like you're suggesting that the DUP are in some part to blame for dissident republicans shooting a police officer. That's absolutely and unequivocally complete bollocks so if you are suggesting that, then explain specifically how and why. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Golden Eel said:

Of course I'm not suggesting that. I haven't said anything like that. That can and does happen, yes. 

I've been talking about this specific example. It seems like you're suggesting that the DUP are in some part to blame for dissident republicans shooting a police officer. That's absolutely and unequivocally complete bollocks so if you are suggesting that, then explain specifically how and why. 

Read back. I was talking in general (which I clearly typed). Politicians whip up hatred and often it has consequences. That’s what I’m saying. If you disagree or find that difficult then that’s on you. If not then ask Carradona who he meant. I’ve posted a link for you. 

Im not chatting bollocks here at all. If you’re suggesting politicians in Northern Ireland aren’t a cause of tensions increasing then it’s you who is chatting absolute bollocks 

Mind you, I’m not convinced yet that it was dissidents who shot the copper. Far too convenient timing for me. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Read back. I was talking in general (which I clearly typed). Politicians whip up hatred and often it has consequences. That’s what I’m saying. If you disagree or find that difficult then that’s on you. If not then ask Carradona who he meant. I’ve posted a link for you. 

Im not chatting bollocks here at all. If you’re suggesting politicians in Northern Ireland aren’t a cause of tensions increasing then it’s you who is chatting absolute bollocks 

Mind you, I’m not convinced yet that it was dissidents who shot the copper. Far too convenient timing for me. 

Yeah, so you haven't got a clue what you're talking about basically... 

• Upvote 1

And before you start coming the big man. 

Carradona said it doesn’t help that there are politicians stirring shite 

You said it’s completely irrelevant. 

That’s the shit that’s being chatted.

It’s not completely irrelevant at all. It never is. I’ve posted a link you’ve conveniently ignored. It isn’t irrelevant at all. As I’ve said , they didn’t pull the trigger but to call it “completely irrelevant” is absolute bollocks.