You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso-The Liverpool Maestro

SCOUSE TAPAS

Which part?

Both.  Can you imagine Alonso putting in the sort of midfield performances we've seen from Henderson and Can this year?  He would find it impossible to play that badly.  And Benitez had already decided he didn't want him the previous season.  Any subsequent noises were just hogwash to placate the simpletons.

Both. Can you imagine Alonso putting in the sort of midfield performances we've seen from Henderson and Can this year? He would find it impossible to play that badly. And Benitez had already decided he didn't want him the previous season. Any subsequent noises were just hogwash to placate the simpletons.

Of course not. Under Benitez we aimed to win the league of the CL though. Different standards to now. Rafa didn't want him to leave after 08/09. I'm pretty sure you can find quotes from Xabi himself on that. He also said he didn't leave Liverpool because of Rafa. He wanted to join Real.

Of course not. Under Benitez we aimed to win the league of the CL though. Different standards to now. Rafa didn't want him to leave after 08/09. I'm pretty sure you can find quotes from Xabi himself on that. He also said he didn't leave Liverpool because of Rafa. He wanted to join Real.

The gift that doesn't stop giving. 

• Upvote 1

The gift that doesn't stop giving.

"Yes, I can admit that my relationship with Rafa wasn’t as good as it had been in the first year,” he says. “But I didn’t ask to leave because of that. I had been five years at Liverpool. I had the feeling it was the right thing to do."

"Moving from Liverpool to Madrid was the most difficult step to make in terms of the decision. But I felt that I had new things to learn, new challenges to take."

From https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/02/xabi-alonso-i-want-to-win-everything-there-is-to-win-with-bayern-munich-liverpool

"Yes, I can admit that my relationship with Rafa wasn’t as good as it had been in the first year,” he says. “But I didn’t ask to leave because of that. I had been five years at Liverpool. I had the feeling it was the right thing to do."

"Moving from Liverpool to Madrid was the most difficult step to make in terms of the decision. But I felt that I had new things to learn, new challenges to take."

From https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/02/xabi-alonso-i-want-to-win-everything-there-is-to-win-with-bayern-munich-liverpool

So the fact that Benitez had tried to ship him out the year before, and he wasn't getting on with his manager had no bearing on his decision.   Course not. 

Alonso is a professional. I do believe he wanted to go. He went, and what followed was a car crash with everyone fighting to get out of the door.

I agree with most of that. Rafa was one of a few within the club who stood up and took the fight to the owners publically, and unfortunately it cost him his job.

Rafa tried to shift him after a moderate season and the outcome was his best season ever in a red shirt and then he left for many of the same reasons rafa ended up leaving and torres ultimately ended up leaving as the clubs owners did not match their ambitions and were operating on the cheap

Here we go with the 'Alonso was poor for two seasons' narrative. Simply isn't true and is up there with the whole 'see the logic' of trying to sell him for Gareth Barry line that people were trying to spin that summer. It was one of Benitez's biggest mistakes trying to, and subsequently managing to, sell him.

• Upvote 3

Gareth Barry was not in Alonso's class, but I wouldn't mind a young Gareth Barry now.

Loved Alonso as a player , can't post clips on the FF for some reason but love that goal against Luton in the cup when Gerrard is screaming for a pass as Alonso shoots from the half way line...

You can see Stevie is going to give him grief then starts to applaud as he sees it's going in

Here we go with the 'Alonso was poor for two seasons' narrative. Simply isn't true and is up there with the whole 'see the logic' of trying to sell him for Gareth Barry line that people were trying to spin that summer. It was one of Benitez's biggest mistakes trying to, and subsequently managing to, sell him.

Wouldn't go as far as saying he was poor for 2 seasons but definitely in 07 season there were some people questioning his role. After the CL in 05 and the cup in 06 everyone thought 07 was gonna be the league and we must've got off to a bad start and that fucked us and maybe xabi bore a bit of that. As a sidenote, I remember watching the 06 cup final and we were all getting carried away saying we'd win the league and one of my mates saying 'you can't even beat West ham'

That 06 FA Cup Final win was fantastic - not just because of the way we won it, but I have a lot of hammers mates, and it was a great evening in the pub laughing while they wept.  I'm a terrible person. 

Watched it in the fleet and firkin in Pompey. About 6/7 people supporting Liverpool and the rest of the place including my mates were rooting for west ham. There was a table of west ham fans sat in front of the big screen and I was getting stick from all corners all game especially after Konchesky scored. When Gerrard hit that screamer I jumped on the table in-front of the big screen cheering my fucking head off. How I didn't get a hiding is beyond me but to be fair I was with about 8 fellas myself at the time.

It was a happy atmosphere even when they lost and most of them were congratulating me and shit until about 20 minutes after we lifted the cup a few of the hammers fans filled in a lad in the garden out the back. Poor lad was a student , only about 18 and had gone for a smoke with his liverpool top on. Fucking shithouses. Didn't have any idea it had happened till a riot van pulled up outside. 

• Upvote 1