You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do we need more flair in the team?

Glen C

Just asking the question to gauge what people think we are missing from the team. Obviously everyone is disheartened right now, but even though in theory its no longer in our hands we can still win it. My biggest issue is that we are just a functional unit and there isn't enough creativity in the team. We don't have anyone in our team to do the unpredictable. Its like our team is built to slowly wear teams down before we finally score and i just don't think you can get away with that all season. Plus i have a major issue with the lack of players we put in the box when attacking(but that's another issue). I just personally think that maybe we need to sacrifice someone to bring in more creativity.

Yes, we need more 'footballers' certainly. But i fear we'd still struggle by the lack of movement. Take Deco, early season Deco anyway, he was playing well because he has option all over the pitch. Same with Fabregas, put him in our side and i don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective as he is for Arsenal.

So yeah, more flair, but a change in approach is is even more greatly needed. IMHO.

We played some great stuff using the 4-2-3-1 formation towards the end of last season and were only lacking a more threatening option in Kuyt's position. I'll never understand why Rafa then invested £20 million in another striker (one he doesn't even rate) rather than a fast, skillful right winger. We're horribly narrow and static down the right with Carra/Kuyt and this allows to teams to congest the rest of the midfield and man-mark Torres, Riera etc. out of the game.

I cant see why we have Babel in the squad with Carra and Kuyt down the right we had to rely on the left side to open them up that is nothing against either player but its just a fact Babel would have given a threat on the right and it has to be said that we look better with Gerrard off Torres than we do wih Keane off Torres and i thing we will revert to that at the weekend in the cup

Just asking the question to gauge what people think we are missing from the team. Obviously everyone is disheartened right now, but even though in theory its no longer in our hands we can still win it. My biggest issue is that we are just a functional unit and there isn't enough creativity in the team. We don't have anyone in our team to do the unpredictable. Its like our team is built to slowly wear teams down before we finally score and i just don't think you can get away with that all season. Plus i have a major issue with the lack of players we put in the box when attacking(but that's another issue). I just personally think that maybe we need to sacrifice someone to bring in more creativity.

good thread.as there is soo much post match crap after these games.

Flair,creativity missing, kuyt, keane, babel, all average players, we are playing a league and were 4 teams from that league who have a good chance of winning the champions league. that means that we need excellence in every position. running around all game and making a few tackles won't cut it here, just not good enough for a club that is one of the best at the moment in the world.

Match winners we need! apart from gerrard and torres who else can take a game by the scruff of the neck, we need people on the bench who can turn games for us

exactly match winners, are kuyt, keane, yossi, babel, regular match winners

NO

you can only have soo much heart,sweat and effort, but if you can't pass, control the ball properly or beat a defender. then the games up for u

gerrard, torres have had bad games, but they have the basic quality to

turn a game, none of the above have that. get rid of them in the summer. im sick of hearing about them

gerrard, torres have had bad games, but they have the basic quality to

turn a game, none of the above have that. get rid of them in the summer. im sick of hearing about them

Its been hard enough to get rid of Pennant, What are the funds available? Will Benitez still be in charge? Are we gonna recoup any of the funds we paid for the above players

Good thread. We definitely need more flair in the side but rafa is far too much of a cautious manager to introduce additional flair. With flair players you've got to appreciate they'll be times when the ball is lost from time to time, I know this an extreme example but look at Luis Garcia he'd show moments of class for 10 minutes of a game then the rest of the game his contribution wouldn't always be that great. It is clear this isn't what Rafa likes.

Other flair players have failed at Anfield under the manager;

Jermaine Pennant

Harry Kewell

Craig Bellamy

Ryan Babel

Yossi Benayoun

Jose (MARC) Gonzalez

Morientes

You could even argue Robbie Keane another flair player that maybe about to fail if a partnership isn't established quickly with Torres?

Rafa has proved he can manage a team defensively but do his attacking creditentials mirror his defensive genius?

Can he managed flair players?

Edited by Kopite82

If I had a pound for everytime i came away from Anfield in the last 10 years (since Evans) and said we need a top class wide man Roman Abranovich would be shitting him self on that rich list!

We need a wide man that can get to the byline and produce the goods. A Theo Walcott type player. Torres would score 40 a season with more service! How many of his goals are tap ins.....?