You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

• 2 weeks later...

How about developing an interest in attracting birds into your garden?

Is it an old people's thing? I'm not sure. Anyhow, I do seem to have become quite interested in the birds that come into the garden and the possibility of attracting other varieties. To be clear, I'm talking about 'nice' birds here, not horrible ones like seagulls, magpies and pigeons, bullying, thieving things that they are

• Upvote 1

Is it an old people's thing? I'm not sure. Anyhow, I do seem to have become quite interested in the birds that come into the garden and the possibility of attracting other varieties. To be clear, I'm talking about 'nice' birds here, not horrible ones like seagulls, magpies and pigeons, bullying, thieving things that they are

During my single days I found a hot tub to be most useful for this.

Arf arf.

• Upvote 1

Last night I had a weird dream that our local conservative MP came to our house to canvas for votes and I gave him a polite but very awkward grilling touching on his alleged corruption and conservative policies on the elderly, the poor and the disabled making him squirm.

It was quite satisfying but ultimately quite sad that I dreamed about this.

Fat balls, soon there will be birds passing through en route to wherever and you'll be surprised what might stop off. A Redstart by ours and having a smoke outside the local alehouse two Wheatears stopped on the roof , great stuff.
  • Upvote 2

I'm all over this Champ, was a member of the YOC from an early age.

As I was cleaning paintbrushes before I had a woodpecker on my fat balls.

*snigger*

I'd have to check but I think it's a Great spotted. Not seen one in the year since I moved back to this house so your comment on this thread has clearly brought it back.

Had a couple of Nuthatches before Christmas and every day get Goldfinches, long tailed tits and all the other common tits.

*snigger*

Fat balls and niger seeds Champ.

Goldfinches love the niger seeds.

• Upvote 1

Fat balls, soon there will be birds passing through en route to wherever and you'll be surprised what might stop off. A Redstart by ours and having a smoke outside the local alehouse two Wheatears stopped on the roof , great stuff.

Sweet birdspotting.

Never seen either of them.

Also had a Blackcap in ours, but not seen it for a while.

Sweet birdspotting.

Never seen either of them.

Also had a Blackcap in ours, but not seen it for a while.

Blackcaps will be back soon though you're more likely to hear them first before spotting them. Nuthatches are boss , we have a Yellow Wagtail now and again but not seen it for a while, hope it doesn't come back and knock tap on my window , as that'll mean my impending doom.

I'm all over this Champ, was a member of the YOC from an early age.

As I was cleaning paintbrushes before I had a woodpecker on my fat balls.

*snigger*

I'd have to check but I think it's a Great spotted. Not seen one in the year since I moved back to this house so your comment on this thread has clearly brought it back.

Had a couple of Nuthatches before Christmas and every day get Goldfinches, long tailed tits and all the other common tits.

*snigger*

Fat balls and niger seeds Champ.

Goldfinches love the niger seeds.

Hidden depths, Richy

Oo, this is exciting. Do you think there are others amongst us. I want to know all about it. Are there certain places you should position your feeding stations? How did you learn to identify all those birds you've just described?

I confessed to a friend the other day and she whipped out her phone to show me a woodpecker feeding in her garden but she's lives out in the countryside so dismissed that we could ever achieve such heights. Maybe there is hope?

I'd quite like to do this but it would be like creating an interactive hunger games arena for my cat.

• Upvote 3

Hidden depths, Richy

Oo, this is exciting. Do you think there are others amongst us. I want to know all about it. Are there certain places you should position your feeding stations? How did you learn to identify all those birds you've just described?

I confessed to a friend the other day and she whipped out her phone to show me a woodpecker feeding in her garden but she's lives out in the countryside so dismissed that we could ever achieve such heights. Maybe there is hope?

I'm full of nerdy surprises, Champ.

I doubt there's any other bird nerds other than easytoslip, you and I. It's a niche level of nerd.

I had heaps of books as a kid, but this is the future---> https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/identify-a-bird/

Although it doesn't compensate for a good quality book.

I position mine on a pole that isn't easy for cats and squirrels to get up, away from where they can be ambushed by Jensons cat, so not too close to the hedges and where I can see them when I'm stood washing up/cleaning paintbrushes.

I was gonna photograph the woodpecker this morning and send it to you but i had my hands covered in paint.

• Upvote 1

I'm full of nerdy surprises, Champ.

I doubt there's any other bird nerds other than easytoslip, you and I. It's a niche level of nerd.

I had heaps of books as a kid, but this is the future---> https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/identify-a-bird/

Although it doesn't compensate for a good quality book.

I position mine on a pole that isn't easy for cats and squirrels to get up, away from where they can be ambushed by Jensons cat, so not too close to the hedges and where I can see them when I'm stood washing up/cleaning paintbrushes.

I was gonna photograph the woodpecker this morning and send it to you but i had my hands covered in paint.

Oh,I like the identifier thingy. Thanks