You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Conspiracy Theories

Plewggs

But I like being preachy!!

It's not a question of opinions, it's just the observation that lots of very clever people have made lots and lots and lots of observations, which all point in the same direction.  Hardly anyone has looked at the data and come to a different conclusion.

• Upvote 2

But I like being preachy!!

It's not a question of opinions, it's just the observation that lots of very clever people have made lots and lots and lots of observations, which all point in the same direction.  Hardly anyone has looked at the data and come to a different conclusion.

That's just not true.

Reckon you know where I'll stand on this one Mr. Spy Bee! I'll try not to preach!!

It's about as nailed on as science gets that the vast majority of the current warming is man-made - it's not even a debate anymore as far as I can see? More greenhouse gases = higher temperature, and the converse, is a regular theme that's happened untold numbers of times in the planet's history, which has then been locked into the rock and geological record so we can see trends. It happened previously from natural causes such as increased volcanism, changes in ocean and land plantlife, methane hydrates etc., but it's blatantly obvious, because we can measure it, that this time it's humans adding the additional greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Anyone who doubts that is in tinfoil hat territory - christ, compare how much CO2 from billions of cars goes into the atmosphere, compared to CFCs from fridges and aerosols pre-1990s - there's no comparison in volume, yet we had gaping holes in the Ozone layer because of them. It's not an infinite system that we can pump what we like into forever, it's pretty fragile and small changes have big consequences.

Greenhouse gases are increasing in our atmosphere? Check.

Greenhouse gases are a very potent way to heat up the planet, borne by massive amounts of geological data? Check

Planet's heating up despite no significant changes in solar output? Check

Planet's heating up even though long term trends suggest it should be cooling? Check

Greater amounts of heat energy trapped in the oceans and atmosphere are resulting in higher energy storm systems? Check

Ice sheets and north polar ice coverage reducing significantly each year due to warming, which is much more significant at the poles than the equator? Check

Albedo (reflectiveness, affects global temperature) of the earth is reducing because there's less ice reflecting sunlight back out to space? Check

Fresh meltwater from this runoff is screwing up the ocean current conveyor which has the potential to move the Gulf Stream? Check

Weird weather for UK this year as a result of the Gulf Stream wobbling and not being where it normally is? Check

OK if I say Check one more time I'm going to fist my nostril, but anyway, know-it-all preaching aside, I don't get that there's even an argument here, and I can't help but think that those that oppose human-instigated global warming as an accepted tenet are head-in-sand flightless birds // people who just want to crack on with the lifestyle they're used to without any guilt? Not saying you are, as I know you're coming at it from an anti-establishment Sceptic (with a capital S) POV, but more generally I think that applies.

Do we ever seperate the survival of the planet with the survival of mankind. Maybe it's one or the other.

The planet will be fine in the long run without us, unless we REALLY fuck up, it's whether we want any kind of half-decent biosphere to live in while we're here, and whether we can keep the planet sufficiently human-friendly (pollution, extreme weather, fresh water, breathable air etc.), that's the issue.

Chances are we'll invent stuff to sort out our mess after the fact, but there'll be one fuckload of human cost, likely by the poorest, before we get to that point.

We are a shit species made worse because we are capable of fucking brilliance. Humanity needs wiping out. It would be best for humanity if everyone was wiped out except for me Christina hendricks, lucy pinder, some sexy female doctors, survivalists, engineers. Let's try again.

• Upvote 1

So it ill sort itself out then anyway!

Absolutely, eventually :) Not before we get some blockbuster weather news stories that kill a billion or so poor people first though  :wacko:

(which again if you take the heartless long view, is the natural world at work culling excess population that's gone above the carrying capacity of its environmental niche)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...