You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wire

Brownie

I know there's definitely some threads already about this but i'm scared of spoilers so decided to start a new one! I got the first season on DVD the other week after a few recommendations and i've watched the first disc (the first three episodes).

I'm hooked already, it's fucking boss.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work.

I'll be honest at first I just though it was 'good', but soon I'd nearly reached the end of the first series and didn't know how I'd gone through them so fast, it's one of those shows that gets better the more you watch it too.

I watched the first season again last week and I noticed plot points I'd not even picked up on the first couple of times. There's just so much going on and so many characters.

One thing I'll never know though is how the creators (two middle-aged white men) mastered all that project slang?!?

I know there's definitely some threads already about this but i'm scared of spoilers so decided to start a new one! I got the first season on DVD the other week after a few recommendations and i've watched the first disc (the first three episodes).

I'm hooked already, it's fucking boss.

I cant beleive you are hooked after just the first disc. It took me about a year and a half to get to the second disc. I found it really hard to get into.

I can only tell you that if you like it this early then you are in for a treat with the rest of it.

Everyone should be made to watch The Wire, then, just then, we may demand more programming that if it was even half as good, would be worth our while watching. I have a feeling I will probably watch it year on year, like I do with Band of Brothers.

Its awesome Brownie, you'll be hooked and using B-more slang in no time.

Thanks to Paul, Drewy, Kev S and others who repeatedly recommended it.

Makes you realise how shit most TV is though.

For instance when you watch another cop show, and it's basically goodies chasing baddies, with a few token ethnic and female coppers thrown in for good measure. They all do the job for some high-minded reason and they're all super slick, when in actual fact evryone knows the force is often dysfunctional.

Don't ANY detectives sit there taking the piss out of dead bodies in real life? Don't they turn up late for work pissed? Don't they fuck up? Doesn't the 'system' (and especially the paperwork) ever get in the way of their jobs?

Greatest show ever.

just stop right there.

i'm unsure anything can top soprano's but i'll still reserve judgement.

i'll have to get series 1 on dvd and get into this.

just glad that at least in the last couple of years, there's been some good tv shows made, and i'm just going to go ahead and say that the likes of lost and prison break are definitely not included in that prognosis.

on the topic of the wire, i think the whole scale of it is frightening but then everyone says that this is what makes it so good so i'll just have to get watching.

Whether it's the best ever is (mostly) a subjective opinion. What is beyond dispute is that it is truly unique in both conception and ambition. I don't think anything comes close to it in terms of writing, acting, dialogue and dramatic tension. It's not fast paced like The Shield, but that's a deliberate decision to create a more naturalistic show. It is the best TV I've ever seen and I find it very hard to conceive of anything ever topping it.

I bought the 1st season when I was away at work and stayed in hotel for 3 days. I popped in the first episode to jhave a look and before i knew it three hours had passed and I had watched all episodes on disc 1. It struck me immediately. And luckily for me i discovered the show at the time season three were released, so before I had even finished with season 1, I had bought season 2 and 3.

Absolutely brilliant.

I pre ordered season 5 yesterday, and the only thing I dont like with the series is that season 5 is the last one.

Don't ANY detectives sit there taking the piss out of dead bodies in real life? Don't they turn up late for work pissed? Don't they fuck up? Doesn't the 'system' (and especially the paperwork) ever get in the way of their jobs?

Bang on the money.

*Spoilers alert*

I loved the bit at the start of Series 2 when the police find those dead girls in the container and none of them want the deaths in their area as it will kill their stats. You can imagine the police doing that.

Bunk and McNulty's drinking, Bunk's crusade for pussy. Brilliant.

Politics and murders? Well a similar thing happens at the end of S4.

Edited by Paul

I'm shit at watching series on TV. I never see the start of them and can never get into them later on.

How long has The Wire been going? What channel is it on? Can someone tell me what it's about (basically) as you lot obviously think it's ace and I wouldn't mind getting into something good.

I'm shit at watching series on TV. I never see the start of them and can never get into them later on.

How long has The Wire been going? What channel is it on? Can someone tell me what it's about (basically) as you lot obviously think it's ace and I wouldn't mind getting into something good.

It's not on Terrestrial TV and I think even the obscure satellite channel showing it is starting the 5th series so you need to either get it on DVD or get your download on