You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

We have the same issue. It means it’s got a small leak and the leak detector at the bottom is turning it off to stop it flooding the kitchen. You may find yourself doing this quite regularly until you fix the leak, depends how bad it is. Ours does it every few months so I can’t be arsed getting it fixed. 

Every few months is sound. 

I started painting my kitchen last year. Did the first coat and never went back. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

We have the same issue. It means it’s got a small leak and the leak detector at the bottom is turning it off to stop it flooding the kitchen. You may find yourself doing this quite regularly until you fix the leak, depends how bad it is. Ours does it every few months so I can’t be arsed getting it fixed. 

I hope mine doesn't spring one.

I imagine them Tena Lady things ain't cheap.

54 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Every few months is sound. 

I started painting my kitchen last year. Did the first coat and never went back. 

I carefully painted our bedroom. I subsequently took off the Tv bracket then got distracted by events elsewhere and never painted the little white square bit. It’s been 5 years now. Comes up regularly as an example in arguments with Mrs Willard about my inadequacies as a husband. We should have a thread on lazy half arsed DIY. 

E7DD56AE-ED7E-415D-B16A-09EE03F4E8D7.jpeg

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I carefully painted our bedroom. I subsequently took off the Tv bracket then got distracted by events elsewhere and never painted the little white square bit. It’s been 5 years now. Comes up regularly as an example in arguments with Mrs Willard about my inadequacies as a husband. We should have a thread on lazy half arsed DIY. 

E7DD56AE-ED7E-415D-B16A-09EE03F4E8D7.jpeg

It would help if you finished the painting around it too.

Used to work with a lovely young Irish lady whose dad was a plumber, and her family had been getting showers with a black bin bag sellotaped over the non-finished tiling for over a year before the mum put the dad in the spare room. Got sorted out sharpish thereafter.

• Upvote 1

There's been a piece of rebar sticking up out of the gravel road near ours for the last six months. Someone helpfully tied a piece of tape around it so no-one runs over it and punctures a tire.

I've been drving by it since, waiting for the day I was going to either dig it up or cut it off. Biding my time, plotting, planning.

Today was the day.

Dug down a few inches, used the angle grinder to cut it off well below surface level, then filled in the hole.

Roar!

• Upvote 7

• 2 months later...

Spent 2 hours yesterday unrolling 3 rolls of top up insulation in the loft. That's about 24 square metres. Fuck me, respect to the lads who instal loft insulation for a living. Had to wear an old boiler suit, mask and gloves and was sweating like a pig by the time Id finished.

Got to get some loft stilts to raise some loft boards I put down years ago and use the final roll of insulation under the boards. A thankless task.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some cunt in a 4x4 took the wing mirror off my van by straying into my lane in the opposite direction on Tuesday. On a 60mph country road near Ely. Could have killed me if I hadn't swerved onto the verge, the twat. 

Quoted £117 + vat plus £50 + vat fitting.

Managed to find a brand new one for £53, just fitted it myself. 

Grrrrrrr. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Some cunt in a 4x4 took the wing mirror off my van by straying into my lane in the opposite direction on Tuesday. On a 60mph country road near Ely. Could have killed me if I hadn't swerved onto the verge, the twat. 

Quoted £117 + vat plus £50 + vat fitting.

Managed to find a brand new one for £53, just fitted it myself. 

Grrrrrrr. 

Love that. Ebay and YouTube make anything possible these days.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been -35C here the past few nights, and the drain of my bathroom sink froze.

Tried everything inside I could think of to thaw it out; but decided that now that it's warmed up to -5 I'd have to crawl under the shack and thaw it out after Christmas breakfast. 

Got home, started to gather up the gear, checked the sink, it had somehow miraculously thawed itself.

It's not going to get any better than that.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

It's been -35C here the past few nights, and the drain of my bathroom sink froze.

Tried everything inside I could think of to thaw it out; but decided that now that it's warmed up to -5 I'd have to crawl under the shack and thaw it out after Christmas breakfast. 

Got home, started to gather up the gear, checked the sink, it had somehow miraculously thawed itself.

Where do you live?

16 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

You took the credit for doing it though, right? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Amazing what peeing in the sink can do

• Upvote 1

Half the baseboards frames built and installed for the OO scale railway in the garage. Built these early December before I caught the lurgy.

Adjustable feet on the legs make getting everything level pretty easy. The legs will need braces for extra rigidity. Got to fit one maybe two double sockets which will be spurred off another socket on the other side of the wall.

Need to order some more wood early in the New Year to build the framework for the other side. That's going to be a little more complicated as I have to build either a swing gate or lift up section as the old girl's knees cant take a crawl under. After that, it's getting some exterior grade plywood to go on top of the frames.

The Metabo (Hitachi) mitre saw is a great bit of kit. Makes cutting the wood a piece of piss.

P_20221206_161318.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Half the baseboards frames built and installed for the OO scale railway in the garage. Built these early December before I caught the lurgy.

Adjustable feet on the legs make getting everything level pretty easy. The legs will need braces for extra rigidity. Got to fit one maybe two double sockets which will be spurred off another socket on the other side of the wall.

Need to order some more wood early in the New Year to build the framework for the other side. That's going to be a little more complicated as I have to build either a swing gate or lift up section as the old girl's knees cant take a crawl under. After that, it's getting some exterior grade plywood to go on top of the frames.

The Metabo (Hitachi) mitre saw is a great bit of kit. Makes cutting the wood a piece of piss.

P_20221206_161318.jpg

Looking good so far. Keep us posted on progress.