You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Lucas

Section_31

I was replying to SM's post on the Indy IV thread and thought there was enough dismay here for a thread of its own.

Still haven't seen Indy, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

The Star Wars prequals though were monumental gash.

I tell you when I first had my doubts about Lucas it was when I heard that Samual L Jackson had been cast in the Star Wars prequals purely because he'd asked to be, he'd said on TV that he'd love the gig and so a role was created for him.

Not that I was against the decision for acting reasons, but I started to wonder then if there was any clear vision to what he was trying to achieve or whether he was just tryng to plug a gap and make some merchandising cash again.

One thing I admire about certain directors and producers is that they resist studio preassure to fuck around with their projects and to make their shows a 'vehicle' for any one actor.

Once you lose that clarity of purpose you've got to wonder whether a project is going to be any good at all.

So much of the prequals seemed ill conceived, even things like having a New Zealander playing the clone troopers and Boba Fett - and then dubbing over his voice in the Empire Strikes back when surely it would have been easier to just cast a yank.

The comment "the boy is dangerous master" basically undid, in one fell swoop, the ENTIRE point of the story about Anakin being a good man who is 'turned' because it implies he was always a danger, or always had the potential to be.

Jackson's quote "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi" comes totally out of the blue in Revenge of the Sith, nothing leads to it, he just arrives at it, and it sets in motion the 'end game'.

The Emperor's laughter as he gets thrown across his desk and his comedy gurning had me in genuine stitches at the pictures too.

George, what have you done?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember discussing the Phantom Menace with friends and colleagues when it came out. When asked to express an opinion, everyone was saying "yeh, it's good", but without any real conviction in their voices. Me included.

Because when it came down to it, everyone wanted it to be brilliant, nobody wanted to be disappointed, and yet, unless you were below 10 yrs of age when you left the cinema it was with a sense of real deflation. Becausee, as much as you wanted to like it, when it came right down to it the film sucked. As Wanyne Campbell would say, it sucked donkeys.

Loved star wars as a kid but the new ones weren't a patch on the originals except for the lightsaber duels but thats not enough.

Set himself too hard a task trying to plug those gaps in the story line.

From what I've read the emperor's fight with SL Jacksons character was a last minute decision, why?

As for the gurning, what was all that about?

Plus you could blatantly tell when it wasn't him, rush job!

Can see in a good few years time when special edition DVD's come out (they've yet to come together in a pack right?) the whole series will be chopped to fuck!

I remember discussing the Phantom Menace with friends and colleagues when it came out. When asked to express an opinion, everyone was saying "yeh, it's good", but without any real conviction in their voices. Me included.

Because when it came down to it, everyone wanted it to be brilliant, nobody wanted to be disappointed, and yet, unless you were below 10 yrs of age when you left the cinema it was with a sense of real deflation. Becausee, as much as you wanted to like it, when it came right down to it the film sucked. As Wanyne Campbell would say, it sucked donkeys.

Whenever I've watched that film I've made sure I've only watched the last half hour as the rest of it was living turd!

Its the only Star wars film I refuse to have on DVD as it doesn't deserve it!

Some of the stuff Lucas let himself get pushed into made me realise he just didn't give a fuck at that point.

Hayden Christensen asked if he could go intot he Vader suit for the final few scenes, and nothing was mentioned about the fact David Prowse was six foot fucking FIVE!

"Oh Haydan wants to do it, let him have his fun!" Er no, you're supposed to be telling a story here George, a story people have waited 20+ years to see you cunt!

Some of the stuff Lucas let himself get pushed into made me realise he just didn't give a fuck at that point.

Hayden Christensen asked if he could go intot he Vader suit for the final few scenes, and nothing was mentioned about the fact David Prowse was six foot fucking FIVE!

"Oh Haydan wants to do it, let him have his fun!" Er no, you're supposed to be telling a story here George, a story people have waited 20+ years to see you cunt!

Plus the fact it looked too big for him and he was nearly the same height as the emperor. Cobblers!

Also. What the hell was that changing of the end of Return of the Jedi. Why have him standing next to Alec Guinness's Obi wan and Yoda instead of the other bloke in the original? He died an old man not that talentless twat!

Rhubarb!

Lucas seriously dropped a bollock with those films. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were complete rubbish. Revenge of the Sith I thought was much better. A very dark film and much more like what I expected to happen.

I heard that Steven Spielberg had a word with George Lucas before Revenge of the Sith and pointed out why the first two films were shite.

What on Earth was George Lucas thinking with the first two? I can only imaging he had more than one eye on merchandising and computer gaming. He badly let himself and his own story down.

The 'turning' of Anakin was pretty fucking wank I thought.

"Oh no, what have I done!"

"From henceforth - you will be known as Darth Vader."

"Er, yeah go on then!"

Then when he's fighting with Obi Wan and he comes a cropper, "I HATE you!" said in Kevin the teenager style.

"Er why do you hate him?"

"I, don't know."

It takes more than jaundice eyes and a hood to convince me I'm afraid.

Luke's momentary turn to the dark side when he sliced Vader's hand off, now THERE was a well handled decent into fear and darkness. Oh fucking hell Lucas how could something so good become so fucking SHIT!

My problem with the newer Star Wars is the use of CGI.

I'd much prefer puppets or men in costumes. I'm just so glad the original three were made back in the day as you know Chewie and the Ewoks would of been CGI these days.

Same goes for Willow, the dog things would of been CGI and thus less scary.

The 'turning' of Anakin was pretty fucking wank I thought.

"Oh no, what have I done!"

"From henceforth - you will be known as Darth Vader."

"Er, yeah go on then!"

Then when he's fighting with Obi Wan and he comes a cropper, "I HATE you!" said in Kevin the teenager style.

"Er why do you hate him?"

"I, don't know."

It takes more than jaundice eyes and a hood to convince me I'm afraid.

Luke's momentary turn to the dark side when he sliced Vader's hand off, now THERE was a well handled decent into fear and darkness. Oh fucking hell Lucas how could something so good become so fucking SHIT!

You know why that was good?

Becasue they had a half decent actor doing that role.

Spot on with Anakin turning.

Far too easy.

What led him to dice up those kids as well.

Rush job.

The decent should've started in attack of the clones.

My problem with the newer Star Wars is the use of CGI.

I'd much prefer puppets or men in costumes. I'm just so glad the original three were made back in the day as you know Chewie and the Ewoks would of been CGI these days.

Same goes for Willow, the dog things would of been CGI and thus less scary.

But without cgi you wouldn't have had a sber wielding Yoda.

The best thing in clones and sith

Ha ha. I can't remember the name of the guy who played darth Maul, but wasn't he a hideously arrogant twat who tried to build a huge 'I was Darth Maul' career only to fall flat on his arse? You're no David Prowse mate, he was The Green Cross Code man as well.