You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bench/Weights Advice

Brownie

The bloke in the picture above isn't anything particularly extreme. I'd wager he's probably genetically gifted if he looks like that as a fighter but genuinely if people work hard enough you could attain it without over a few years of your sole goal is bodybuilding. I've gained and lost about 20 stone of muscle over the last 15 years and wonder where I could have been had I actually kept going. The only thing that's stopped me being similar in body composition to him was my absolute loathing of getting to the low level of body fat he has.

For me it takes over my life to do it hence doing it for six months here and there sometimes several years apart. The advantage for me these days is that regaining size and strength is so easy now because I've had it before.

I started myself again two weeks ago after noting that I looked like the Incredible Hulk on the picture with my first son and Betty Ross in the picture with the other.

The guy in the picture spent most of his childhood in extreme poverty as a farm hand. Hot that farmboy strength. Being Brazilian though would not be shocked in some roids were involved as iys pretty common snd apprantly legal there

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this whole thread and there is an awful lot of shit spoken in it.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but if I was new to this game I would be in a complete whirl.

Why would anyone new to training do bicep curls or different sets of tricep exercises.

Smallest muscle group in the body and what do you see people doing in the gym. Bicep curls.

I'm no body builder and have a fair belly on me but I can deadlift 500lb and squat a bit as well.

Kids in one of gyms I go to (the fancy brush your hair before you go one) ask me what I do for arms as they are solid.

I say Squats and deadlifts. they look at me like I am from Mars.

Do you squat I ask them and usually its a no because my knees or it hurts or my back. 

Pick heavy shit up off the floor.

Lift heavy shit above your head.

Plant your arse on the floor then try to stand up with heavy shit on your shoulders.

Guess what you will get big arms legs chest and shoulders.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504

"if you just stick to a basic strength-training program, you can expect a certain wonderment about what the hell you were doing all those years, why nobody told you it was this simple before, and why nobody else in the gym appears to have heard the good news."