You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Generation Gap

Bloodred

Today in work I mentioned Robocop and Chewbacca to the two 17 yr old part timers who work for us. The lads in question had no idea what I was talking about and one hadn't even seen Star wars! They're not scallies or nerds (nor am I:whistle:) but it brought to light the fact that.....shit. Am I getting old??....Or are these kids missin out?

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Would hate to be a kid growing up these days.

The house i live in i have always lived in. I was brought up in it and had the house given to me.

The neighbourhood where i grew up has gone downhill during that time as for example i consider myself to have been brought up well but i was allowed to go out with mates or even play out on my own without my parents fretting as they knew i would be alright.

I would never let my daughter out on her own and the poor bugger gets driven to her mates then plays at their house then i go pick her up.

There is no innonence in youth these days and thats a shame as you are only young once and should make the most of it.

True Coop true. T'is a sad state of affairs these days, I remember walking everywhere as a kid. Its just sad that we are so scared these days to even risk our kids safety by letting them walk the streets.

Do you think the modern media plays a part (as in making us aware of every rape, abduction etc) ....or is that for another thread......

Fuck me, Robocop to this - export really is strong!

I had a similar instance in work today when I likened someone to the Gorgs who used to try and eat the Fraggles down at fraggle rock, I was looked at as if I was speaking fucking Chinese. The thing that hurt me the most was the mere fact that the joke fell on death ears.

I had a similar instance in work today when I likened someone to the Gorgs who used to try and eat the Fraggles down at fraggle rock, I was looked at as if I was speaking fucking Chinese. The thing that hurt me the most was the mere fact that the joke fell on death ears.

Mama I caught a fwaggle!!

I know what you mean. Went out with the other half and her 18 year old friend and her boyfriend. Talkng about films the fuckwits hadnt even seen Lost Boys, Big Trouble in Little China and a whole host of other classics. Made me realise how young they are bet the fuckers still watch the teletubbies.

They are really nice apart from that though.

Best I experienced was when I mentioned Danger Mouse and TDK C90's in the same coaching session to a 17 year old.

A look of blankness and I felt like I was the stupid one.

My 3 year old cousin is well int the old Transfomrers, Ulysess 31, Thundercats and Star Wars. It's all about the parents educating them.

I was a big Thundercat fan as a kid and I bought a T-shirt last year, you know big 'Eye of Thundera' thing.. red on a black backround. I was in a shop with it on in the week and some random fella went 'ha ha ha MUUUMMMRAAAHHH - ah I loved that'

Gotta love that shit where we have to form underground clubs!!!

Not yet having my own kids I have been educating my cousins who are all much than I. They have all seen Star Wars, the goonies, big trouble in little China etc... Have even bought the Thundercats dvds. Have pointed out to my missus that this is a great investment for when we do have kids that they will not have to watch some of the nonsense that is peddled to todays kids.

Not yet having my own kids I have been educating my cousins who are all much than I. They have all seen Star Wars, the goonies, big trouble in little China etc... Have even bought the Thundercats dvds. Have pointed out to my missus that this is a great investment for when we do have kids that they will not have to watch some of the nonsense that is peddled to todays kids.

Good work! The classics will never get boring! These films you can watch over and over again! Oh and as for what Liam said, I am only 25!

Malarkey doesn't know who the master control programme is because he's never seen Tron, this is fact.

We also need to realise that there's a generation of kids out there who don't know that Christopher Reeve IS Superman. I pity the fools (not that they'd get that reference either)

I also echo Coop's sentiments, all my 13-year-old sister does for fun is fuck around on MSN all evening worrying about "what he said" or "what she thinks", it's tragic really, an adult before her time.

Kids very rarely play out by ours either, wheras I can still remember how shit it felt when it was raining outside and I couldn't go out. Plus there are no quality kids shows anymore, except for brainwashing shit like 'lazy town' which tries to get you fit. Where's the fucking GUNS!?!?

Games are shit these days too, Racing games with "more realistic mud than ever before"

These kids today, they don't know...etc etc

Weren't there 4 directives?

(1) Serve the public trust

(2) Protect the innocent

(3) Uphold the law...

(4) classified (don't harm any OCP senior employee)

Anyone who played the arcade game would've had the first three at least burned into them, as it was the introduction to every level.