You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal CL First Leg match thread

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yellow cards are a worrying aspect of tonight's match: we have three players who are one away from a ban (Gerrard, Carra and Aurelio) and a referee (Pieter Vink) who has handed out 14 bookings in his last four CL matches. However, The Arse have five players in the same situation: Emmanuel Adebayor, Emmanuel Eboué, Alexander Hleb, Gaël Clichy and Denilson. Does anyone know what happens if we progress? Are slates wiped clean again or what?

Yellow cards are a worrying aspect of tonight's match: we have three players who are one away from a ban (Gerrard, Carra and Aurelio) and a referee (Pieter Vink) who has handed out 14 bookings in his last four CL matches. However, The Arse have five players in the same situation: Emmanuel Adebayor, Emmanuel Eboué, Alexander Hleb, Gaël Clichy and Denilson. Does anyone know what happens if we progress? Are slates wiped clean again or what?

I think they are all carried forward now Paul to the final. The only time they are wiped is after the group stage (I think).

I think they are all carried forward now Paul to the final. The only time they are wiped is after the group stage (I think).

Oh shit. Four massive games to get through with two of our most important players a referee's whim away from a suspension? Not good news.

There is no way this lot are going to beat us over two legs. We have the experience to beat these and in the 2nd leg Gerrard will be back. I'd play two midfielders this game with Kuyt up front and Pennant on the wing.

We will beat them no problems. This is OUR competition.

"It is an exciting tie," said Toure. "Last season we played them four times (meeting in the FA and Carling Cups as well as the league) and we showed how strong we were - we beat them in three of those games.

"It is going to be really tight, we know that, but we have the quality and I think they will be scared to play against us.

"We need to show them that we have continued to improve and are even stronger than last season."

If this cunt had any sense, or recollection of the past, he'd play down the idea of us being underdogs in the CL.

See you next week Kolo.

There is no way this lot are going to beat us over two legs. We have the experience to beat these and in the 2nd leg Gerrard will be back. I'd play two midfielders this game with Kuyt up front and Pennant on the wing.

We will beat them no problems. This is OUR competition.

Fucking hell, Rash. Ever heard the one about pride and a fall? These are the toughest opponents we've faced in Europe under Rafa, in my opinion. They even edge out Barca when the added English dimension in considered.

They are a team in very poor form, we should be looking to beat them tonight while their confidence is low. If we sit back and end up losing Rafa will play a weak team at the weekend, we may lose again and then have to face them in the second leg with their confidence fully restored.

Seize the moment Rafa.

I'm not really looking forward to tonight at all. Obviously it's a European game, which is different to the league games, but still I think we have our work cut out against these.

They're a great side when it comes to playing football and our lack of quality ball retention tends to show up more against them.

I hope i'm wrong but I can see us losing two or three nil tonight.

Just look at their form for a minute. They've conceded twelve and scored twelve in their last ten matches. Six of those goals have been conceded against Bolton, Birmingham, Boro and Villa. They've won three, drawn five and lost two of those games. If we can't get at least a score draw at their place tonight, then we shouldn't be playing football.

I'm not really looking forward to tonight at all. Obviously it's a European game, which is different to the league games, but still I think we have our work cut out against these.

They're a great side when it comes to playing football and our lack of quality ball retention tends to show up more against them.

That's very much how I feel. I'm quite depressed about it TBH. But I did feel that way before Chelsea last year so maybe I'm wrong again. I love the European games but the thought of Arse, Chelsea and the Mancs ahead in order to win this one fills me with dread. Mancs are most definately the strongest side of the 3 but Arsenal are most suited to European footie. As for the form book I don't think it counts for a lot. They showed a lot of mental strength to come back against Bolton and they'll be drawing on that tonight. I'm still not sure that we're as tough a side mentally as we were in 05 and 07.

6 months ago I'd have agreed Ian, and said that we probably wouldn't stand much chance over 2 legs. Not now though. Its going to be very close, decided by a single goal over the 2 legs I reckon.

They are a team in very poor form, we should be looking to beat them tonight while their confidence is low. If we sit back and end up losing Rafa will play a weak team at the weekend, we may lose again and then have to face them in the second leg with their confidence fully restored.

Seize the moment Rafa.

My thoughts exactly. Despite the comeback against Bolton at the weekend, they're in their worse run of performances for a while but experience suggests that it probably won't last long. One occassion when kicking a man when he's down, and very hard, is to be encouraged.

if we lose by more than one tonight i fear it's sayonara. i can see ut getting a draw though. after all it's europe!

We beat them 4-1 at Anfield last season. It'll be very hard but I never say never in Europe with Rafa in charge.

i just want to be in with a shout when we get back to Anfield.

Brownie if you are right, its over tonight.

Sanga, their first choice right-back, is injured for all three games. Their replacement full-backs are suspect and not as quick or reliable as Sanga.

It's a chance for Babel to shine.

We'll be fine, and undefeated in our next three games.