You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kick my arse. Please. I need to do it, but I'm too weak. Is it best to set a date, or just do it on the spur of the moment.

I don't want to get addicted to NRT, and I've read Alan Carr's book. Is hypnotism any good, or those tablets?

I'm starting to get fit this week so I'm guessing now would be a good time.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick my arse. Please. I need to do it, but I'm too weak. Is it best to set a date, or just do it on the spur of the moment.

I don't want to get addicted to NRT, and I've read Alan Carr's book. Is hypnotism any good, or those tablets?

If you tell yourself it will be difficult it will be difficult. If you tell yourself hypnosis will work it will work.

Tell yourself you're doing it for your kids (my Mum's still devastated over my Nan dying from lung cancer nearly 3 years ago), and every time you light one up you let them down.

From what my mates have said, its best to just to it, planning it seems to make the build up to the day harder...

Ziaban is said to be alright, another came out recently though, cant remember the name.

Fair play, that'd be like me givin up chocolate... dont even think hypnosis would manage that...

My granddad died of emphysema due to smoking, my grandma is on her way but she continues to smoke 20 a day. My dad had been a 20 a day man since he was 17, until 7 weeks ago when he decided that was enough was enough and he didnt want to die in the next 5 years.

I guess that should be your motivation for quitting Liz.

My granddad died of emphysema due to smoking, my grandma is on her way but she continues to smoke 20 a day. My dad had been a 20 a day man since he was 17, until 7 weeks ago when he decided that was enough was enough and he didnt want to die in the next 5 years.

I guess that should be your motivation for quitting Liz.

My grandad went the same way, after previously being a shop steward for Wills' tobacco ... working in a fag factory and being involved with the unions lead him to an 80-a-day habit, which he kicked about 20 years before he died.

Much to the annoyance of my then-partner I woke up one day having smoked 30 a day and decided that I was not a smoker (something that lasted for 5 years until last November). I did stick on a load of weight though, as you know.

I don't think that "having this as my last cigarette" or setting a date/time is totally appropriate, and you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself as it will lead to stress and then wanting a cigarette. Which sort of defeats the object.

Just remember that smoking will generally result in a slow and lingeringly painful death, costs shitloads, is bad for the kids, and is quite antisocial.

Worst of all, if you continue to smoke you will have to have the decorators back in. Surely that alone makes it worthwhile giving up?

Zyban isn't an an antidepressant.

I gave up with Zyban, fantastic stuff. I went fro 30 odd a day to about 3 a day literally overnight. I was on it for a couple pf months but it was more difficult that I thought it would be after I was off the drug so I used lozenges for a couple of months. That was two and a half years ago.

Good luck Liz.

My grandad went the same way, after previously being a shop steward for Wills' tobacco ... working in a fag factory and being involved with the unions lead him to an 80-a-day habit, which he kicked about 20 years before he died.

Much to the annoyance of my then-partner I woke up one day having smoked 30 a day and decided that I was not a smoker (something that lasted for 5 years until last November). I did stick on a load of weight though, as you know.

I don't think that "having this as my last cigarette" or setting a date/time is totally appropriate, and you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself as it will lead to stress and then wanting a cigarette. Which sort of defeats the object.

Just remember that smoking will generally result in a slow and lingeringly painful death, costs shitloads, is bad for the kids, and is quite antisocial.

Worst of all, if you continue to smoke you will have to have the decorators back in. Surely that alone makes it worthwhile giving up?

Fuckin' Biff. :D

Zyban isn't an an antidepressant.

I gave up with Zyban, fantastic stuff. I went fro 30 odd a day to about 3 a day literally overnight. I was on it for a couple pf months but it was more difficult that I thought it would be after I was off the drug so I used lozenges for a couple of months. That was two and a half years ago.

Good luck Liz.

Yes it is. Bupropion is also used as an anti-depressant. I could bore you with the pharmacodynamics but I won't.

bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin XL) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com

MedlinePlus Drug Information: Bupropion

Bupropion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SKI, you need to get a firm grip on why you want to quit smoking. Write it down and don't fucking forget it. Then use those (hopefully important) reasons for motivation when the going gets tough.

I am actually starting to get fit as well right now. Got my bike out for the first time this year, and it felt better than feared on my first ride of the season. Really looking forward to using it, hopefully winter has finally let go up here.

Good luck on quitting, you're doing both yourself and your kids a tremendous favour if you can pull it off!

Fair enough, just goes to show that some GPs talk out of their arses then. I asked my GP about the psychological side effects of Zyban when I went to ask him to prescribe me it and he said that there were one or two extreme cases recorded in America where consumers had 'gone on a downer' after taking Zyban, which would inticate to me that it's a depressant, not an antidepressant.

I've watched both my maternal grandparents die of lung cancer. My Mum has COPD, and I've had cancer myself. If that's not all the incentive I need then nothing is. I just can't do it.

I need people to shout and me and tell me what a twat I am.

That's the problem. You tell yourself you can't do it.

Fair enough, just goes to show that some GPs talk out of their arses then. I asked my GP about the psychological side effects of Zyban when I went to ask him to prescribe me it and he said that there were one or two extreme cases recorded in America where consumers had 'gone on a downer' after taking Zyban, which would inticate to me that it's a depressant, not an antidepressant.

It's not that simple, mate. Anti-depressants are known to increase suicidal ideation in vast numbers of susceptible patients. The brain has a fairly delicate chemical balance and nobody can predict with precision the exact effects these drugs have on any given person. Some people taking anti-depressants even become psychotic. The GP will have weighed up the pros and the cons and think that the risks of continuing to smoke are worse than the risks of taking Zyban.

It depends on the individual I think. Some sound advice from your Bro there though. My missus just stopped and that worked for her but then again that might not work for you. Give it a go thouh.

On another note, I never knew you smoked? That should make the gym tommorrow much more entertaining!! haha!

I think if you um and aah about it you won't do it. You just have to wake up one day and throw the tabs away. Don't know if you've ever done it before but you'll be amazed how much difference to everyday life it makes. No lethargy, clear-mindedness, taste, smell, it's amazing. The hardest part, like all addictions, is thinking you are a non-user and taking it for granted. It's almost better to say you are a smoker who just hasn't had one for x amount of years (hopefully). I gave up for about four years and the cravings came and went intermittently until one day I told myself I could be one of those smokers who only does it when they're drinking and now I'm a regular again. Also, be prepared to eat copious amounts of shit food.

I think, as mentioned above, if you have someone to do it for (i.e. family) you'll get through. Just think that you're letting them down if you smoke. Unfortunately I managed to block that one out but still feel guilty from time to time which stops the enjoyment. Really makes you wonder why you do it sometimes.

Best of luck.

I just stopped. And the philosophy I had in my head when I did it was:

Do, do not, there is no try.

Spot on. That's what I did, in effect. I tried to see quitting smoking as a neutral act, it wasn't good, nor was it bad, it helped remove the psychological baggage attached with stopping smoking.

Spot on. That's what I did, in effect. I tried to see quitting smoking as a neutral act, it wasn't good, nor was it bad, it helped remove the psychological baggage attached with stopping smoking.

Mate you should well grow a beard or something. Your a proper clever Proffessor of the Mind Dave. In fact, I will pay you just to sit in a rocking chair surrounded by books, with a long beard and glasses on the end of your nose smoking a pipe and looking ponderous! Thats the life for you!!

Mate you should well grow a beard or something. Your a proper clever Proffessor of the Mind Dave. In fact, I will pay you just to sit in a rocking chair surrounded by books, with a long beard and glasses on the end of your nose smoking a pipe and looking ponderous! Thats the life for you!!

Nah, it's just common sense. The more one stresses theirself about stopping smoking, the less likely they are to stop. Most smokers, over time, associate smoking and being stressed. When stressed, they light up, so in getting stressed when stopping, they still have a subconscious association with smoking. In my opinion, it's this association that causes the smoker to fail when trying to stop. If you smoke more when stressed, getting stressed is going to make you crave more. I think it's possible that one's perception of being stressed and the association of smoking and being stressed, perhaps, modulates one's cravings, although I concede this is just speculation on my part. The key is to remain positive, not to try and forcefully remove the cravings, just be. Accept them for what they are, no more, no less. It's not just about stopping smoking, it's about breaking down the associations one has with smoking. So if you smoke when drinking coffee, don't drink coffee, if you smoke in a particular seat, change seat, all these associations work at a subconscious level. It's not easy but it can be done, I've quit all sorts of substances, as my sister well knows.