You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

DUBAI TO MAKE BID

WeAreTheBest

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your joking Rash arent you.

Parry still has a job and Moores has an extra £8 million quid. Of course they didnt investigate Hicks and Gillett.

Hicks and Gillett are getting a lot of shit on here and so they should but we all should remember who let them through the door in the first place.

The worrying thing is people think its bad now but imagine if they stay.

Corinthians are one of the most famous clubs in Brazil and not so long ago were challenging for the top honours. Hicks takes over runs them to the ground and they get relegated.

Thanks for Maildini for the info in his thread and the sooner we get them out the better.

Thats the thing though, do you honestly think Hicks gives a flying fuck what a small group of people (it is small in world terms) thinks about him?

As long as he is lining his pockets he wont give a shite.

Unfortunately true. As long as fans keep turning up to games and the tv money keeps rolling in he's got no reason to leave, really.

Problem is they got the club so cheap they can fuck it right up and still sell it for a profit probably.

The Hicks and Gillette bid was accepted purely because both Moores and Parry would be retained by the Americans and it was a more lucrative deal.

There is a lot of revisionism being talked on this thread - I'm not just directing this at this post. Hicks and Gilletts bid was accepted because DIC walked away. Moores had a legal requirement to listen to all offers - he had to consider offers not in the interests of himself or the club, but in the interest of all shareholders. Unfortunately for a Ltd company the decision is not about what is best for the company ongoing, but for the shareholders on the day of the offer. If Moores had turned down the £5k per share offer from G&H, I feel sure major shareholders such as ITV would have been able to block the sale to DIC - had they still been at the table (which they weren't).

DIC did not complete the deal for the club within the exclusivity period - the people to blame for all this are actually DIC for not getting their fingers out and completing the deal in the time they were alloted. Once that period ended, they were outmanouvred by GG and because they didn't like it, ran away with a titty lip.

There is a lot of revisionism being talked on this thread - I'm not just directing this at this post. Hicks and Gilletts bid was accepted because DIC walked away. Moores had a legal requirement to listen to all offers - he had to consider offers not in the interests of himself or the club, but in the interest of all shareholders. Unfortunately for a Ltd company the decision is not about what is best for the company ongoing, but for the shareholders on the day of the offer. If Moores had turned down the £5k per share offer from G&H, I feel sure major shareholders such as ITV would have been able to block the sale to DIC - had they still been at the table (which they weren't).

DIC did not complete the deal for the club within the exclusivity period - the people to blame for all this are actually DIC for not getting their fingers out and completing the deal in the time they were alloted. Once that period ended, they were outmanouvred by GG and because they didn't like it, ran away with a titty lip.

You're right about DIC walking away but it wasn't a case of them not completing a deal. It was a case of us not accepting the deal, i.e. DIC were waiting for us to accept BEFORE they could conclude the deal.

They got pissed off waiting and pulled out.

Hicks bid to keep control

EXCLUSIVE

By David Maddock 18/01/2008

Tom Hicks insisted last night he is determined to ride out the storm of protest building against him and resist any offer to buy his stake in Liverpool.

And the American billionaire (above) indicated that he and partner George Gillett will announce plans within the next few days relating to a new stadium and the finance to build it.

That will rule out any opportunity for Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, the world's richest man, to buy into the club. Sources within Anfield yesterday suggested that the events of the next few days will prove to be some of the most important in the club's long history.

Gillett is understoo0064 to have major doubts about his partnership with Hicks, and is now seriously considering an attempt to persuade his fellow American to sell out to DIC, the investment arm of the Dubai Government, with whom he hopes to join forces.

Dic still want to buy into Liverpool - despite losing out to the Americans a year ago, and it is understood that they are preparing a £150million bid for Hicks' 50 per cent stake.

That bid would carry weight if Gillett threw himself firmly behind it, by stating publicly what it is understood he believes privately: that his relationship with his fellow American has collapsed.

Certainly, Gillett has so far failed to fully support Hicks' plans to raise cash to pay for shares and the stadium build, leading to further speculation that he instead wants DIC to come in. But Gillett is wavering, and last night it appeared he was reluctant to go that far.

If Texan Hicks decides to sell, then the Arabs have promised to invest significant funds into the club, and help pay for the construction of a new

70,000-capacity stadium that will finally bring in desperately needed extra revenue.

But if - as seems likely - he holds on to his investment, the future of Liverpool will take a very different turn.

That would effectively signal that Hicks has won control of the powerbase at Anfield, and would then decide the direction the club will take.

It would also not only spell the end for manager Rafael Benitez - but also honorary life president David Moores, and chief executive Rick Parry, who oppose Hicks' plans to borrow heavily against Liverpool to pay for the stadium and the purchase of the club.

Last night a spokesman for Hicks insisted that the Texan was adamant he would not sell - despite DIC's renewed interest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...9520-20289532/

Lewis, a Mirror journo reviewing the papers on SSN this morning, claimed that while it is true Hicks is not “contemplating the sale of the club” he will consider doing so after the offer from DIC is received.

The journo emphasised the wording of the Hicks denial, claiming it was not a categorical statement that Hicks would reject the DIC bid after it is received.

We live in hope.

You're right about DIC walking away but it wasn't a case of them not completing a deal. It was a case of us not accepting the deal, i.e. DIC were waiting for us to accept BEFORE they could conclude the deal.

They got pissed off waiting and pulled out.

Brownie it wasn't. They did not make an offer before the end of their exclusivity period. Once that passed, they could not accept the offer from DIC once we were talking to G&H ... effectively we needed to find a good business reason to reject G&H before moving back to DIC ... or DIC up their offer, which they wouldn't. The point remains that if DIC had placed an offer before the end of the exclusivity period, the board would have been required to consider it - the offer was not there. DIC thought they were home and dry and made a massive fuck up. They were then not prepared to accept the realities of business that when something becomes an auction, the price goes up.

Barry this is what happened according to Ansari.

A statement released by the DIC read: "Dubai International Capital LLC today announces that it has decided to end negotiations with Liverpool FC and Athletic Grounds plc about a possible investment in the club.

"Having completed due diligence, DIC submitted a comprehensive offer to the Liverpool board. The offer had been accepted in principle by majority shareholder David Moores. It appears that the Liverpool board and the majority shareholder David Moores were unable to approve these terms in order to allow DIC to make a formal offer to all shareholders.

"Liverpool is the most successful football club in English football history. It exists to win things for its supporters. It deserves to be in the hands of people who support it, who understand its history and legend and who share the enthusiasm and passion of its fans.

"As businessmen, we move on. As fans, we hope that the new owners would share the same vision as we had for LFC and, of course, in realising the new stadium that is so badly needed to ensure the club can continue to compete at the highest level in the Premiership and Europe."

So they did make an offer that was accepted but then Moores' head was turned. That's their official statement.

The media have proven to be correct, at least some of the time, in this whole fiasco, so the amount of 'chatter' around a DIC bid must have some truth in it. The way I see it, Hicks is currently briefing the press that he a) is about to get the refinancing and b) that he doesnt want to sell. This serves the purpose of trying to make his selling hand stronger. If it's known he wont get the refinance deal sorted and that he's desperate to sell, it becomes a buyers market, the price will fall.

The stories yesterday however, I see as open bargaining. DIC talk to Barret at teh Echo and say, 'Hey Tom were making you a bid of 150m for your share', Hicks replies through various press statements saying 'were not for sale' which really means 'On yer bike Arab, I want 200m for my share'.

One thing is for sure, we'll know alot more by the end of Feb, whether we can all survive that long, who knows.

I think you might be getting him mixed up with Alan Sugar? At the very first meeting of the Premiership chairmen, which he attended due to his position at Spurs, they were all discussing the initial bids. At the first opportunity Sugar relayed back to Sky that they had been blown out of the water by the ITV bid and needed to go in much stronger. Sugar was going to be providing the satellite dishes through Amstrad you see, so it made sense for them to win and make him richer. Just one of the many, many times that vested interests have played a role in the future of the top level of our game.

Hi Stu,

I'd not heard that. Maybe out of all that he said 'You're hired' to Slick. I was lead to believe that Parry was implemented in this, as he then got a bonus from Sky for the deal at completion. Maybe not ?

Either way, this and the sort of stuff Maldini put up today, from a few trawls of the net about Hicks, shows that Parry failed in his job. His job was not to find the highest bidder, his job was to get the best deal for LFC and highest bidder doesnt equal best interests of the club.

So they did make an offer that was accepted but then Moores' head was turned. That's their official statement.

I bought a house a while ago. I offered a shit load of money. Someone else offered more. I went to my limit and got it. I didn't fuck off crying after the other guys came in. I really don't get why DIC took their toys home the first time.

do you go out of your way to be stupid? Was it during the exclusivity period? No. Once that was over, the board is legally compelled to listen to all other offers - even if they wanted DIC, they have to listen to everyone else and if one is of a higher value than the other, they then have to have a good reason for the existing shareholders to refuse it. fuck me, it's groundhog day and i'm living last january all over again.

I bought a house a while ago. I offered a shit load of money. Someone else offered more. I went to my limit and got it. I didn't fuck off crying after the other guys came in. I really don't get why DIC took their toys home the first time.

Thet didn't cry because of the bid, they cried because Moores and Parry were not contactable for a week when they tried and our board were not keeping them informed. Instead inviting the American's to the away game at West Ham and wining and dining them.

Thet didn't cry because of the bid, they cried because Moores and Parry were not contactable for a week when they tried and our board were not keeping them informed. Instead inviting the American's to the away game at West Ham and wining and dining them.

And yet they're now coming back in to try and buy into the club, where Parry is still CEO and Moores honorary chairman, for a load more money than they would have had to pay had they just negotiated a bit the first time?

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

And yet they're now coming back in to try and buy into the club, where Parry is still CEO and Moores honorary chairman, for a load more money than they would have had to pay had they just negotiated a bit the first time?

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

They probably won't negotiate with them two tossers, they will negotiate with Hicks and or Gillett.

DIC will acquire Liverpool Football Club.

One thing I can’t understand. The yanks bought us for 219M last year. That was too much for DIC, they didn’t want to go above that. Now, all of a sudden, at a time when we’re out of the title race, they’re willing to pay at least 150M for 50%. Why?

Because they're genius businessmen, Liverpool fans, perfectionists, not bothered by the credit crunch and rolling in it.