You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sicko...

Chris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I watched this last night. I can understand Chris' frustration at the way certain things were presented.

The Cuba/Gitmo part of the film was stupid, I think the USA are already breaking human rights laws by keeping the 'terrorists' there but leaving them to rot would be a step too far I believe. I do think there was a lot of staging done in this section but the point of it was to show the difference in price of prescriptions, it was done to shock and so it should. It's an absolute disgrace the way pharmaceutical companies here are raking in profits.

They could have easily gone to any Prison in USA and shown murderers getting healthcare treatment, again you can't leave people who are the resonsibility of Federal or State governments to rot.

Showing the best hospitals in the UK and France was fine with me, even though the point of healthcare being free was laboured. The reason for that is that lots of Americans are simply unaware that free healthcare is available in other countries, Canada excluded where they're repeatedly told how crap it is.

The bottom line for me is the man that chopped his fingers off on the circular saw had to choose his Wedding ring finger ($12,000) over the other one ($60,000?) would have a full set of digits in the countries that were shown.

Michael Moore, a man with enough money to live in any country he chooses. He chooses to live in the country he constantly criticises.

Bull. Moore wants to effect change in those parts of America he perceives as unfair. Why would he live elsewhere if he wants to change HIS country.

You're right about Kermode though, he is a little shit.

Generally, I like Moore's films as they do raise serious issues that need to be addressed, but he is a self-publicist. I really didn't like the stunt in which he sent an 'anonymous' cheque to his arch-internet-enemy. That didn't sit well at all. But Sicko did make me thankful I don't have to subject myself to the US healthcare system.

Bull. Moore wants to effect change in those parts of America he perceives as unfair. Why would he live elsewhere if he wants to change HIS country.

You're right about Kermode though, he is a little shit.

Generally, I like Moore's films as they do raise serious issues that need to be addressed, but he is a self-publicist. I really didn't like the stunt in which he sent an 'anonymous' cheque to his arch-internet-enemy. That didn't sit well at all. But Sicko did make me thankful I don't have to subject myself to the US healthcare system.

I thought the same thing about the cheque but maybe his thinking was that it wouldn't be accepted if his internet pal knew who it was from?

Far be it from me to agree with Hermes, but Mark Kermode really is a tit. He is so full of his own self-importance and doesn't recognise the possibility that film can be a medium of simple pulp entertainment, rather than high art (unless it's The Fucking Exorshits).

Your crap sense of humour has no place on here.

Far be it from me to agree with Hermes, but Mark Kermode really is a tit. He is so full of his own self-importance and doesn't recognise the possibility that film can be a medium of simple pulp entertainment, rather than high art (unless it's The Fucking Exorshits).

I'd say he does, many of his reviews comment on films being enjoyable/watchable yet throwaway. I;d don't agree with all of his reviews but he is generally worth listening to.

I see you also failed to spot Hermes "unique" brand of humour.

Your crap sense of humour has no place on here.

I'd say he does, many of his reviews comment on films being enjoyable/watchable yet throwaway. I;d don't agree with all of his reviews but he is generally worth listening to.

I see you also failed to spot Hermes "unique" brand of humour.

It's the price you pay for skim-reading.

• 4 months later...
People should see his films. They're a vital piece of social and political discourse for our time. But they need to be viewed with a forewarning of his questionable methods. The dude is a force for good but also an arrogant rampant self-publicist. His films are like one long Michael Moore handjob. I'm glad he exists, but I think he's a twat.

yup. I concur, your very long post was excellent.

I watched this last week and was actually moved to tears in places at the disgusting treatment (non-treatment?) of some America's ill and critically ill.

That old boy who had to work in a supermarket in to his 80's just so he could pay for his medicine was just so, so sad.

I watched this last week and was actually moved to tears in places at the disgusting treatment (non-treatment?) of some America's ill and critically ill.

That old boy who had to work in a supermarket in to his 80's just so he could pay for his medicine was just so, so sad.

Spot on, its a joke.

The NHS is a beacon of light in a somewhat pile shite at times. Its a pain sometimes but at the end of the day it could be so much worse for poor people in this country.

He's had 64 years of potential working life to prepare for old age. If he chose to squander his previous earnings on other things that he thought were higher priority at the time, then that's his choice.

I've just finished watching it and two things stand out for me.

If you're not American as a purely pseudo documentary (and highly emotive and persuasive) piece it doesn't make any difference to you at all, interesting still.

The part where he yaks on about giving his rival 12k to get his wife treatment smacks of "Look at me, look at me". I liked his previous stuff, but that bullshit was really hard to swallow. Totally buying the fella off. And to have it at the end, chee-sey.

Worradick.

I agree, but would the GenPop of the US bother paying to watch real unbiased well argued, and for the general US punter, rather boring 'all grey areas included' documentary? I haven't seen Sicko, haven't payed a vast amount of attention to his work beyond agreeing with its gist but not its oversimplification, but can see why he does things as he does, and suspect that he realises it's the only way to get any aspect of his message across in the environment he's in?

Excellent piece up there, by the way.

I was just about to post something very similar.

Fair enough his methods didn't work in 2004, but there are a hell of alot of Americans who'll eat this up regardles of whether he's 'mediating' the truth. They're the same people who don't want to watch 'a rather boring 'all grey areas included' documentary' as Ig has said and they're entitled to the same one vote as those of us who can see what the situation is for ourselves. Which brings us back to the 'license to vote' debate...

He's had 64 years of potential working life to prepare for old age. If he chose to squander his previous earnings on other things that he thought were higher priority at the time, then that's his choice.

Yeah. What a fucking loser that cunt is.

Shut up, Hermes.

Hermes has a point though. I don't mean in the ol fella's case - that just mental - you can save enough to live, put a bit by and hope it's enough, the crippling cost of medication could screw anyone up no matter how fiscally sound.

But in this country we do have a problem, the sooner the government enforces pensions in work the better. IMHO