You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WTF is wrong with Gerrard?

Red Mist

His performances for both club and country have been appalling in recent weeks. For a guy we rightly believe is one of the best footballers in the world, he has looked shockingly poor. Phil Neville would have done better against Russia had he played instead of Gerrard.

And Stevie has no excuses anymore. He's playing in his absolutely favourite role for both England and Liverpool. In the centre of midfield as the key creative midfielder. No more defensive donkey work for the Reds because Masch, Alonso and/or Momo can do that, while Barry does it for England.

Personally that I think is the reason for his decline. He's been pampered and indulged, he's taking his place in the team for granted. He knows he'll never be dropped as long as he's fit, and this has led him to become casual and sloppy.

His passing has been woeful, his tackling lacking any conviction whatsoever. Gone are the driving runs, tough tackling and the non-stop action displays.

Instead he's becoming like Fat Frank, hanging around only in the attacking 3rd of the pitch, waiting for the ball so he can attempt shots and ineffectual passes.

Rafa needs to sort him out ASAP. Maybe dropping him to the bench might dent his ego enough for him to come back wanting to prove a point.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it can't have anything at all to do with the fact that he broke his foot not too long ago and was rushed back. Only a suggestion like.

He fractured his toe. Hardly a 'broken foot'. And the medics at the club deemed him fit for duty. Therefore the last injury he sustained is no longer an excuse.

Heard something on the radio the other week, 5 Live I think, but can't for the life of me remember who. Anyway, they suggested that what was wrong with Gerrard, and even Liverpool in general, was not Rafa's rotations, but the one he didn't rotate - Gerrard - and the fact that he was playing him consistently in the CM role.

He compared him to Beckham playing at Utd where Kean was put in the centre and Beckham forced out onto the right where he then reaked havoc coming in and splaying balls around. Likewise for England. He went on to say that his 'best' game for England against Greece, was only remembered as such for his free kick, which he could have taken regardless of where he played, whereas the rest of the time he ran round like a headless chicken and achieved nothing.

He reckoned Gerrard was experiencing the same thing now. He scored 20 goals playing on the right, and now he's going missing week in week out!

Anyone hear that themselves, and if so who was it that said it?

I aint no doc but he sure looks like he is a man with alot of problems at moment.He started the season looking like the Gerrard of 2 seasons ago.He played outstandiing game against Chavs with broken toe.He then went to England and has not been same since.It can't be the toe as that is supposed to be ok now.I know hitting that kid in his car was something he supposed to have been troubled over.He probably got bollocking of Rafa to for playing for England after the Chav game,this is what i first put it down to another sulking .Now I really don't think it is that.He's not just lethargic at moment he seems to be on diffrent a pitch to everyone else.It can't be confidence thing because he was on fire first few games.

I blame

• Rotation

• Alex

• Rafa

• The Abos

• England

• Phases of the moon

• Pako

• Global warming

• Those boots they wear these days - they're like carpet slippers

• Zonal Marking

• His car accident

• Canada

at various times and in no particular order.

Heard something on the radio the other week, 5 Live I think, but can't for the life of me remember who. Anyway, they suggested that what was wrong with Gerrard, and even Liverpool in general, was not Rafa's rotations, but the one he didn't rotate - Gerrard - and the fact that he was playing him consistently in the CM role.

He compared him to Beckham playing at Utd where Kean was put in the centre and Beckham forced out onto the right where he then reaked havoc coming in and splaying balls around. Likewise for England. He went on to say that his 'best' game for England against Greece, was only remembered as such for his free kick, which he could have taken regardless of where he played, whereas the rest of the time he ran round like a headless chicken and achieved nothing.

He reckoned Gerrard was experiencing the same thing now. He scored 20 goals playing on the right, and now he's going missing week in week out!

Anyone hear that themselves, and if so who was it that said it?

Think it was Gab Marcotti. I remembered listening and agreeing with what was said. It was also in a Tony Barret article I think, don't quote me on that.