You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Rafa be sacked and replaced?

Kopite

Should Rafa be sacked?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rafa be sacked?

I haven't read the replies yet, but this thread is crazy. Rafa is doing a very good job. The past two seasons we have finished third and third in the league. While this isn't quite where we want to be, it is solid and comfortable champions league qualification, so the bare requirement is met. Added to this is the CL win and the runner up. In 20 years at Man Utd Alex Ferguson can't match that, and, for all his giftendness with developing young talent, nor can Wenger.

The one main area of improvement for Rafa is the league. We are well placed and the season is but a few games old. Let's see what we can do this season.

The poll is way too premature. If we come fifth this time then by all means, put it up. But I am very happy with Rafa, and I'm sticking to my guns on no.19. Rafa will bring it home.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sack Rafa!! - how very ridiculous but there are muppets on teletext letter pages and round the net and even on here who think thats the way to go. Sad really.

Sacking the manager is what teams like Newcastle, Man C and Spurs do regularly and look where its got them. Also Chelsea have always been that type of team in the past and despite their recent success do not seem to have learnt that stability is so important and that regular manager sackings is a tactic which will spell only disaster long term. Mark my words.

No the good teams like us, Arsenal and Man U appoint a good manager with a good track record (which Rafa is), let him do the job his way and stick by him unless it was obvious as in the case of Souness, Evans and Houllier that it was not working and a parting of the ways was agreed to be for the best by all concerned.

I am ashamed that I voted "yes" but I also forgot to add that I do not want him sack during this season (I am not back tracking what I said earlier).

I think he has earnt the right to prove until the end of the season at least.

Rafa is great tactician but that alone will not make him succeed and he needs help from others such as having reliable assistant and coaches that works other aspect of the team development. Will he realised and remedy this? I doubt so as he just lost his right-hand man yet stubbornly refuse to replace.

We need to improve our corners, free kick and general passing of the ball , all of which are basic and even ordinally folks like us can identify since the beginning. I mean, he work with the team daily and I am sure he cannot be blind to see that.

We are still not as comfortable on the ball as we should be and there are so many deficiency within the team that one has to question what he's been doing the past three years.

I'll admit that the current team is a lot better than GH years and he had to rebuild the team from scratch etc. but after three years and our general play hasn't improve that much.

We never manage to build a cohesive team due to the amount personnel joining and leaving the club during past 3 years.

I mean why buy a striker like Bellamy, Crouch and not play to their strenght?( by the way, I was never in favour of either purchase)and why bring back Fowler? It was better to keep Pongolle as he would have offered much more as a late sub.

There were too many bizarre decision. I wonder who was advising him or are they all "Yes" man.

Just because Bellamy was cheap doesn't justify the purchase. Yes, we did get our money back but there were greater cost as Bellamy was not the first/right choice and not featured enough during last campaign and that had negative effect. The same thing is happening now with Crouch. There were just far too many unnessary buys and too many quick fix buys that never worked out.

It is no suprised that most of trasnfer took ages to materialised since the people that deal with those matter have to get rid of dross which take up considerable time before concentrating on the "real/important" targets.

I am sure anyone with experience in running the business will tell you that massive turnover of staff is never going to add to stability of any organization.

I think that Rafa is trying to take on far too much responsibilties and struggling to fit all into daily schedule.

He was a simple coach/manager that concentrate on team playing during his most succesful time at Valencia. He didn't have to deal with all the admin side of things. Are these extra duties putting unnecessary burden on him and lose track of most important things that he does best?

I mean all this is just my humble opinion from reading and listening to what is available just like all of you, none of us know what really goes on inside the club.

I must reitterate that I love Rafa and want him to succeed and he deserve our support at least until the end of season but ultimately it's Liverpool FC that I care most.

Will he succeed and prove all doubters wrong and hang their head in shame? I sincerely hope so as nobody deserve success more than him but put all the emotion and bias aside, are you really confident after seeinfg the last three years that he will see his shortcoming and change them?

I really hope that answer is YES.

Sorry again for the long boring post again (now you know why I don't post much)and poor grammer etc. Emotion is running high and finding it difficult to keep cool at the moment.

Regards to all fellow REDS.

I think some people are hiding behind the "he needs to change a few things" argument Paul.

He isn't going to change.

If I thought that then I'd want him sacked now. Even Rafa can't be that stubborn that he can't see the error of his ways. He's cost us 4 points already this season with his rotation madness. Add that to the capitulations by October in previous seasons for the same reason.

You keep doing the same thing, you get the same results.

If I thought that then I'd want him sacked now. Even Rafa can't be that stubborn that he can't see the error of his ways. He's cost us 4 points already this season with his rotation madness. Add that to the capitulations by October in previous seasons for the same reason.

You keep doing the same thing, you get the same results.

Exactly history shows us he is capable of change but normally when its too late.

The 82 point season it took into about 10 games before he moved Stevie out right and found the balance with Momo & Xabi in the middle

Last season it took a long time for him to find his best team but to be fair loss of form to certain key figures wasnt all his fault

but in both cases he did learn from his mistakes and we kicked on from there

Just hope he dosent have to blow another 6 points to find out what eveyone else on the planet knows. that you play your best players and rest them when the game is won

How many times, the reason we lost early on in the season last year wasn't rotation, infact the less we rotated in those early games the worse the results.

And if you have to complain have the bollocks to do it when we win ten games on the trot as well as when we draw twice.

Why did we only get a draw at Sheffield United?

I voted 'no', as sacking Rafa now would be a very foolish decision, but my god he's trying people's patience.

On one hand I admire the man for sticking so strongly to his belief's, but this stubborn streak may well turn out to be his downfall.

I don't understand how in some situations he seem's to acknowledge, and most importantly, seek to ammend his mistakes, (e.g. the swift selling off of any players that don't cut the mustard, or the easing up of pre season training) but then in other's he seem's incapable of considering that his idea's may be flawed.

I'm actually on board with the idead of rotation, but not in the way Rafa applie's it time's.

Firstly - I think changing more than three players from game to game does more harm than good.

Secondly - there are certain players who should be above rotation (except when they are genuinly in need of a rest. Something which shouldn't be neccesary untill the second half of the season) In Liverpool's cas they are - Reina, Carra, Agger, Finnan, Gerrard and Torres.

I think the world of Rafa, I really do, but my faith in him is starting to wain slightly, and I know this is the case for plenty of other reds.

It's crunch time now for Benitez, and he's within his right's to do thing's his way, as it's his neck which is on the line.

I just pray that come the end of the season he's got it right.

If we dont finish at least 2nd in the PL this season (regardless of all other competitions) yes he should be sacked. If he stops messing with moronic squad rotation and god awful tactics he should be safe.

You're that gimp that only came on last season when we lost and spouted rubbish. You're never here apart from that.

WUM.

You're that gimp that only came on last season when we lost and spouted rubbish. You're never here apart from that.

WUM.

Yes - I said last season that Rafa cant hack it in the PL and I'm still saying it. I hope I'm proved wrong cos I like Rafa but unless we get MINIMUM of 10 points from our next four league games (Wigan, Spurs, Everton & Arsenal) we'll prob be facing 3rd or fourth spot again - simply not good enough. We need to start dictating games and putting the fear of God into the opposition and I dont think Rafa can do it. We can no longer afford the luxury of giving managers 6 or 7 years to prove themselves in the league. No.19 is all that matters. Its a make or break season in which we must finish at least in 2nd spot in order to prove that Rafa knows what he's at.

Rant over.

No rafa shouldnt be sacked - no chance.

I admit im one of the people who want to see our best players (the spine of our team) remain the same for prem games unless someone is injured but im hoping RAFA can win the league doing things his way as being honest he doesnt look like changinghis methods but you never know.

whether he WILL win the league for us is hard to say but leaving top players out isnt giving himself the best opportunity.

I think he will get about 3 more seasons inc this to try and win the league and then i think unless he is very close the yanks may look to replace him