You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Habañero Chile Peppers

Owen

Have just ordered some bhut jolokia (ghost naga) chillies, will try one raw when they arrive (and only one!) Well I'll chomp into half of one anyway, then see if I can hack eating the rest of it.

I bet that would've been pain once he was done, what chilli did it have in it?

Yeah he was in serious trouble the rest of the night, very ill and delirious, needed to sit down a lot and take deep breaths. Felt better the next day until he farted "and some juice came out".

Apparently it's puréed Naga chillies.

Yeah he was in serious trouble the rest of the night, very ill and delirious, needed to sit down a lot and take deep breaths. Felt better the next day until he farted "and some juice came out".

Apparently it's puréed Naga chillies.

Ouch, yeah that really doesn't seem like it would've been much fun, judging from what I felt like after eating just one of them. I wouldn't mind trying some of something like that, but maybe just a spoonful or so, not the full bowl!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Complete clowns, bread and fucking water? If they'd had milk and yogurt they might not have been so bad. Paul Bosland here is supposed to be one of the leading experts on chilli, he thinks milk is actually the best thing : https://newscenter.nmsu.edu/Articles/view/12012/nmsu-researchers-say-milk-works-best-to-extinguish-the-heat-from-chile-peppers

Complete clowns, bread and fucking water? If they'd had milk and yogurt they might not have been so bad. Paul Bosland here is supposed to be one of the leading experts on chilli, he thinks milk is actually the best thing : https://newscenter.nmsu.edu/Articles/view/12012/nmsu-researchers-say-milk-works-best-to-extinguish-the-heat-from-chile-peppers

Cool factoid from that link:

An interesting situation happens when astronauts put hot sauce on their food in space, because it doesn’t taste as hot as it does on earth. Bosland said researchers are still trying to figure out why that is.

I had a lovely "Vesuvius" pizza last night. Got a feeling I'm going to regret it later though.

• 3 years later...
On 24/09/2015 at 21:01, Aw Geez said:

Nutters. Anything above standard 'hot sauces' and I get bad volcanic arse-aids

So now I have ordered:

Da bomb

Mad dog 357 Ghost pepper sauce

Daves Gourmet Insanity Sauce

The first 2 have arrived and I have tried a cocktail stick dipped in the bottle, and WOW. Not sure how im going to put any meaningful amount in food.