You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crappiest place you've been to in the UK

Harry Squatter

Stu monty negged me for some reason for my reply on this thread because i said manchester was the worst place ive visited in the UK.

My reason for this is that its the only place ive been to in the UK that i've got hassle for being irish.

Anyway that's not the point,not only did he neg me (which frankly i don't give a fuck about) stu monty was also kind enough to leave a comment calling me a mong.

This i am fucking livid about and have good fucking reason to be.Its a terrible fucking slur to call anyone that let alone somebody you don't even fucking know or know their circumstances.

I sent stu a message to ask who the fuck is he calling a mong but no reply.

Either stu is a silly uneducated person who doesn't understand the phrase mong or has serious issues.

Hopefully stu can get back to me and explain his stupid fucking comment he left me for answering a question on a forum because as i said im fucking livid.

Hope he can justify using that term for such a silly reason, or any bloody reason for that matter.

Of course I can justify it. You said Manchester is shit when it is clearly pretty fucking good; hence that makes you a mong. Glad to be of service.

I second Leigh, Widnes, Barrow-in-Furness, Rhyl, Blackpool, St Helens, Halifax.

I would also put forward Gorton (East Manchester), where the sense of foreboding would have even Algernon Blackwood checking his own pulse.

Also - Any of those 'Robinson's' pubs in the Peak district and environs. Grey. Pebble-dashed. Chilling.

I doubt anyone here will know the place. Snowdown in Kent has to rank as the most pointless village in the UK: It's like they cut away some arse-end piece of south london and grafted into the beautiful Kent countryside. In akll the time I was there (a day) no birds flew over that town.

I know it - it was a pit village - the pit closed down and whatever point it had ceased to be. Aylesham nearby is pretty horrendous too - full of aggresive psychos with weird Kentish Yorkshire accents.

The Medway Towns in a string of depressingly shit towns with one nice little bit in the centre (Rochester town centre). For combining 4 shit towns into one megashitopolis it can compete with anywhere.

I spent a couple of hours in Swindon once - looked like some horrendous 70's fail of a town.

The isle of man

Yes its very pretty , yes its very safe ( for your kids etc ) but

1. its boring

2. its boring

3. its boring

If i dont get off this island soon i will do myself some harm , i swear!

Don't you have pubs, gyms and stuff? That's what the rest of us do.

Talacre's actually quite nice. If you're looking for places in North Wales try Flint or Connah's Quay, Talacre is not a bad town at all and it has a lighthouse.

Used to love it there when I was a kid before it got ruined. Couple of boss arcades (with a sit-down Star Wars game in) a post office that sold comics, a nice familiy run chippy and fields full of cows, that was pretty much it. Then that Talacre Beach camp started expanding more and more and now it just seems like Speke on tour.

Undoubtedly milton keynes. Totally, totally anonymous place.
Negged for having a go at the Keynes.

Why is it that criticisms of Milton Keynes are always frustratingly untangible like the above or saying it has no soul?

I'll tell you what, my cousin from Australia who has lived on beaches all his life is absolutely loving Milton Keynes and all it has to offer.

Awesome things about MK:

- Very green

- Loads of entertainment - ski dome and indoor sky diving possible within metres of each other

- Low crime levels

- A low unemployment rate

- Racists are actually in the minority

- The roundabouts that everyone whinges about actually mean it reduces traffic problems significantly

- I live here

- Concrete cows, yo!

The Medway Towns in a string of depressingly shit towns with one nice little bit in the centre (Rochester town centre). For combining 4 shit towns into one megashitopolis it can compete with anywhere.

I was brought up there. In Strood to be precise. It wasn't too bad when I was down there and I have some pretty good memories of the area, especially Rochester, although admittedly I left and moved up north 22 years ago. I went to visit about 5 years ago and couldn't believe what a shit tip it had become.

I read recently that the "City" of Rochester lost it's city status because of a massive administrative fuckup by the council, which I thought was rather funny. I think it's the only cathedral town in the UK which doesn't have city status.

Negged for having a go at the Keynes.

Why is it that criticisms of Milton Keynes are always frustratingly untangible like the above or saying it has no soul?

I'll tell you what, my cousin from Australia who has lived on beaches all his life is absolutely loving Milton Keynes and all it has to offer.

Awesome things about MK:

- Very green

- Loads of entertainment - ski dome and indoor sky diving possible within metres of each other

- Low crime levels

- A low unemployment rate

- Racists are actually in the minority

- The roundabouts that everyone whinges about actually mean it reduces traffic problems significantly

- I live here

- Concrete cows, yo!

I've never been to MK but I really want to. The new town aspect intrigues me and I'd love to see how it's planned.

RJ - have you ever been? What did you think?

Talacre's actually quite nice. If you're looking for places in North Wales try Flint or Connah's Quay, Talacre is not a bad town at all and it has a lighthouse.

Flint is bad but Connah's Quay is a lot worse as are Shotton, Queensferry and Bagillt. Never understood why Talacre has got such a bad rep though.

Well well my good Doctor. I would have wagered a tidy sum on your nomination. You forgot the preponderance of red Manc shite supporters, the smell and the trams. Croydon is the fourth circle of hell. But have you considered Swindon, Wrexham, Barnsley and anywhere in the west midlands which is one amorphous swathe of misery.

I've never been to MK but I really want to. The new town aspect intrigues me and I'd love to see how it's planned.

To be fair I think an architect I know wasn't over enamoured with what's been done here as a lot was built in the 70s which I gather wasn't a golden era for architecture.

However the infrastructure is interesting with our grid system, AKA "fucking roundabouts" saving on a lot of traffic (though we still get it).

In essence I know fuck all about this sort of thing. But if you do end up here I've got a couch you can kip on and a load of bars I can show you to help with your research.

I work in Ellesmere Port, and though it is admittedly a bit grim, there are far, far worse places in the UK. There are far, far worse places within a ten mile radius - Rock Ferry, North End of Birkenhead, Ford Estate, Seacombe. Don't even get me started on the other side of the water. Anfield, Everton, Kenny, Bootle, Speke - all worse than Smellesmere Port.

I've not been to MK, so can't really comment on with any certainty.

You would imagine that its a widely studied case in my profession. Truth is, its not as much as you might think. You don't often get chances to work on such a canvas as MK or new plan out new towns; its all a bit too Sim City which is defo not what we do. Most of work in planning surrounds exsiting built environments rather than blank canvases. So it doesn't really offer much in the way of lessons as you might think.

But, I have studied some of things MK has done and is doing. They introduced a Infrastructure Levy which is the Government's pilot, and we have had a look at that for local tolerance of what could be raised in tax etc.

TBH, I'd imagine MK would actually be quite a nice place, building on its principles I'd imagine its greener than most places. Most model towns/suburbs are usually pretty decent as they go for densities that most of us enjoy; even they are not the most sustainable.

While MK probably doesn't have many historical buildings and is still not quite established culturally as many places, I'd bet its got more leisure facilities than towns of a comparable size.