You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spirits

Guest PaddyBerger15
Irish Whisky for me, Bushmills etc,

I used to drink Southern Comfort in my late teenage years, but it turns me into someone who thinks he's a love god. A few shots of that on top of the lager, usually ends up with me going round the pub chatting to any women who would have me.

Spot on dude, I used to do the same...it was always a So Co chaser or a Wild Turkey chaser with a pint of Kronie in the mad years....these days Bushmills is a good relaxing drink.

Truth is that Id drink floor cleaner if it got you hammered and Id run out of other stuff....but I guess Vodka Black Bush or Bushmills would be the drink of choice.

I went to a Deadwood party (ace) at the weekend and swore to my lady I never drink spirits. Before I was about to tuck into my first beer someone suggested a round of tequilas. I managed to finish the even of tequlla, vodka, burbon and red wine. No hangover (of sorts) either.

I now love spirits. I can see myself becoming a Mike Baldwin within 5 years who has a drop of scotch every night from his decanter.

Look I already have the drinks cabinet!

drinkieslq2.jpg

I cannot stand neat spirits - or at least I thought I couldn't until I discovered "frozen" vodka. If you keep it on the freezer, you lose the sting but retain the kick. I also like a nice G&T, a Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer and lime juice) and rum and coke (dark rum, mind - not the gay girls' stuff Bacardi). I really don't like Whisk(e)y either, but then I've never tried any really good single malts.

I cannot stand neat spirits - or at least I thought I couldn't until I discovered "frozen" vodka. If you keep it on the freezer, you lose the sting but retain the kick. I also like a nice G&T, a Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer and lime juice) and rum and coke (dark rum, mind - not the gay girls' stuff Bacardi). I really don't like Whisk(e)y either, but then I've never tried any really good single malts.
Whiskey you either like or don't, doubt a single malt will change that. Mind you depends how much you've tried- if it's just bourbon then I wouldn't blame you- I hated Bourbon at first especially JD but now quite like it. But nothing quite beats a generous whiskey on the rocks in winter by a fireplace and all the other stereotypes that go with it!

G&T is usually my drink of choice if I'm not going with beer, but a glass of Highland Park is always nice if I'm having a cigar, or smoking pipe tobacco. If I want to get trashed, cheap Russian vodka all the way. To this day it's still the only spirit I can drink a liter of and not have a hangover, and it's a neat party trick. If I've brought a bottle of vodka to a party, it's not for me to share. I plan on finishing it myself, and occupying your couch for the remainder of the evening.

Whiskey you either like or don't, doubt a single malt will change that. Mind you depends how much you've tried- if it's just bourbon then I wouldn't blame you- I hated Bourbon at first especially JD but now quite like it. But nothing quite beats a generous whiskey on the rocks in winter by a fireplace and all the other stereotypes that go with it!

I am not so sure. Cheap whisky is just kick and offers no flavour or depth. Sipping a good whisky is completely different. I would recommend Paul gets a half bottle of something nice like laphroaig and gives it a go. He is a man of taste and I think he'd like it.

Irish Whisky for me, Bushmills etc,

I used to drink Southern Comfort in my late teenage years, but it turns me into someone who thinks he's a love god. A few shots of that on top of the lager, usually ends up with me going round the pub chatting to any women who would have me.

SoCo? I never understood how people could drink what tasted like cough syrup.

JD, Southern Comfort, Mount Gay rum, Gelnfidich single malt, Martell Cognac.

Discovered that when me and the missus when to Barbados. Fantastic stuff, but made me sleep walk naked outside the apartment:whistle:

I'll really only drink vodka otherwise, maybe Southern Comfort neat at a push.

Haven't touched scotch/whisky in about 17 years. A friend and I drunk a bottle of it and was sick as a dog the next day. As soon as I can smell it, I get reminded of that day:sick:

So is Bourbon actually Whiskey, then? I mean, I know that's what it says on every bottle of JD, but I thought that was just US nuttiness. I like JD with lemonade. Unfortunately that's probably just about the gayest way to drink it, but there you go.

This thread has inspired me to go fix myself a drink. I was given a bottle of something called Power's Gold Label Irish Whiskey. Is that a good thing? I just had a little tot neat and hated it, so I've now doused it in coke. We also have a bottle of Jamos that we keep for a mate of mine. What's the GF opinion on it? I reckon it's got to be OK because McNulty always leathers it when he goes for "a taste" on The Wire.

If your not sure what what whisky to start with two I would recommend are Glengoyne 10 and Balvenie 12. The former being light and easy to drink the later being rich and warming (no more than 25 quid a pop).

Unless you have tried them before and know you like em I would avoid the west coast malts particulary Islay malts These can be full of peat and smoke and an aquired taste.

These are my favourites but not for everyone.

A taste of laphroaig at the wrong time can put some off for life.

Unless you have tried them before and know you like em I would avoid the west coast malts particulary Islay malts These can be full of peat and smoke and an aquired taste.

These are my favourites but not for everyone.

A taste of laphroaig at the wrong time can put some off for life.

Is absolutely spot on.

• 3 years later...
I'm brushing my teeth with this shit right now, some of that new bud stuff, Gentleman Jack (I look a bit like Commander Adama) and a cigar. Great stuff.

The new lightly carbonated stuff? '66? looks decent, what's it's like any different from the normal stuff? I picked up some Peroni for tea. Loving spiced rum lately tho, drinking it neat is deadly I'm half cut before I know it (",)

The new lightly carbonated stuff? '66? looks decent, what's it's like any different from the normal stuff? I picked up some Peroni for tea. Loving spiced rum lately tho, drinking it neat is deadly I'm half cut before I know it (",)

Yeah it's alright the new bud, a bit sweeter and lighter like a poor man's south American beer, nice enough but not a patch on Brahma and its ilk.

Just bought some of this stuff, on offer at ASDA for £22, should be £30.

Get on it, it really is absolute sex, smooth as fuck and easy to drink neat.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyo6GEoZy2HpuJB9BQNRsa1iFOASpuy7Ae8jSdFErPwHth1Mk&t=1&usg=__vK0Nm34uNuTo_UDibqCt_HmuUFw=

I bought some in duty free last month and am also drinking it tonight.

Very nice, and as you say much smoother than normal JD.

• 4 years later...