You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Animal Tournie Tag team deathmatch: 1st Semi

Remmie

Tag team winners  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Tag team winners

• Giant Squid & Snow Leopard
    • Polar Bear & Badger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling here...I see the polar bear as a huge favourite, but the giant squid is the obvious outsider, and I can't stand that stupid badger. He's the Josemi of the animals: he has no right to be where he is right now. Luckily he was shipped off eventually, I'm hoping for the same outcome here. Squid and leopard win. I feel for the polar bear, he could've walked this if he was paired with the alligator.

Haha, that's brilliant NR. The king of photoshop.

I had to look up Remmie's classic Find me a picture-thread to confirm that NR really was (and still is) the king of photoshop. Some great pictures in there, I liked the sausage/sprout/spud one best.

I had to look up Remmie's classic Find me a picture-thread to confirm that NR really was (and still is) the king of photoshop. Some great pictures in there, I liked the sausage/sprout/spud one best.
What about my Giraffe Monkey band?

Northern Red: A genius and a prophet.

Unfortunately for the Polar Bear he is fighting for two as we all know a giant squid is pointless and harmless outside of it's home environment.

Think you've got yourself mixed up there Minty, Polar Bear is on the Badger's side and fighting against the Squid

Giantsquidphoto2.png

This is a still taken from a video somewhere in Japaenese waters in 2004. It is the only time a live giant squid has been caught on film that's how hard it is.

Here is an extract from Wikipedia:-

Giant squid possess the largest eyes of any living creature, with possible exception of those of the Colossal Squid, over 1 foot (30 cm) in diameter, and their arms are equipped with hundreds of suction cups in total; each is mounted on an individual "stalk" and equipped around its circumference with a ring of sharp teeth to aid the creature in capturing its prey by firmly attaching itself to it both by suction and perforation. The size of these suction cups can vary from 2 to 5 centimeters in diameter (1–2 in), and it is not uncommon to find their circular scars on the head area of sperm whales that have fed — or attempted to feed — upon giant squid. The only other known predator of the adult giant squid is the Pacific sleeper shark, found off Antarctica, but it is not yet known whether these sharks actively hunt the squid, or are simply scavengers of squid carcasses. Because sperm whales are skilled at locating giant squid, scientists have attempted to conduct in-depth observations of sperm whales in order to study squid.

One of the more unusual aspects of giant squid (as well as some other species of large squid) is their reliance upon the low density of ammonia in relation to seawater to maintain neutral buoyancy in their natural environment, as they lack the gas-filled swim bladder that fish use for this function; instead, they use ammonia (in the form of ammonium chloride) in the fluid of their flesh throughout their bodies, making it taste not unlike salmiakki. This makes the giant squid unattractive for general human consumption, although sperm whales seem to be attracted by (or are at least tolerant of) its taste.

Like all cephalopods they use special organs called statocysts to sense their orientation and motion in the water. The age of giant squids can be estimated by "growth rings" in the statocyst's "statolyth" much like counting tree rings. Much of what is known about these animals come from estimates based on these, and from undigested beaks found in sperm whale stomachs.