You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk mulling over future

Thants

Cut & Paste if you please.

Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt is set to take a few days off in order to consider his future.

The Holland international has been linked with a summer switch to The Premiership with Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool all mentioned as possible suitors.

However, interest in the 25-year-old has cooled somewhat following Kuyt's low-key World Cup and it has been suggested he could remain at De Kuip.

Newcastle remain focused on strengthening their strike force with Michael Owen on the sidelines and Alan Shearer retiring and could be poised to step up their interest in the hit-man.

Kuyt has spoken with Feyenoord coach Erwin Koeman and it has been agreed that he can take a break from training to mull over whether to seek a fresh challenge.

"I have an arrangement with coach Erwin Koeman that I can take some more days to think about my future," Kuyt told AD Sportwereld.

Trezeguet on loan or Kuyt for £10 million - Trezeguet everytime for me.

I know alot of people on here dont rate Trezeguet but I think hes quality, hes that fox in a box type player that we have been crying out for, for years.... I think if he came he would be awesome especially with Gonzalez darting forward and Alves (if he comes).

Rafa won't be the slightest bit arsed about the world cup. He's been scouting the fella for two years, he's not going to be swayed by a couple of low key performances. Financial constraints will be the thing that puts him off, either because they want too much or because he would have to sacrifice another potential signing to bring in Kuyt.

It's impossible to say what will happen because there are so many different scenarios depending on prices. For example, a couple of weeks ago we bid for Pennant but it was turned down. If that had been accepted, would we still be interested in Alves? Or would we have gone with Trabelsi and Pennant and used the rest of the cash for Kuyt?

The Italian sitaution and possible loan deals may free up the extra cash for Alves, but there's just no way of knowing what will happen. Rafa himself probably doesnt know at this point.

Two weeks ago Rafa told someone I know he was going for Trabelsi, Pennant and Kuyt. A day or two later Trabelsi flew in for talks, and shortly after that we bid for Pennant. Maybe Birmingham want more for Pennant that we were expecting, and thats changed the plans again, or maybe the price for Kuyt is too much.

It seems that all of our targets at the moment are interlinked with others being available too.

I just cant wait til its over, as this time of year gets on my nerves.

Rafa won't be the slightest bit arsed about the world cup. He's been scouting the fella for two years, he's not going to be swayed by a couple of low key performances. Financial constraints will be the thing that puts him off, either because they want too much or because he would have to sacrifice another potential signing to bring in Kuyt.

It's impossible to say what will happen because there are so many different scenarios depending on prices. For example, a couple of weeks ago we bid for Pennant but it was turned down. If that had been accepted, would we still be interested in Alves? Or would we have gone with Trabelsi and Pennant and used the rest of the cash for Kuyt?

The Italian sitaution and possible loan deals may free up the extra cash for Alves, but there's just no way of knowing what will happen. Rafa himself probably doesnt know at this point.

Two weeks ago Rafa told someone I know he was going for Trabelsi, Pennant and Kuyt. A day or two later Trabelsi flew in for talks, and shortly after that we bid for Pennant. Maybe Birmingham want more for Pennant that we were expecting, and thats changed the plans again, or maybe the price for Kuyt is too much.

It seems that all of our targets at the moment are interlinked with others being available too.

I think its fair to say Dave that Alves is Rafas number 1 target. Pennant according to the weekend papers is valued at £7 milllion so Rafa has obviously decided to back to Alves and get it sorted once and for all.

If we do pay want Sevilla want then i would have thought thats us done for buying players this summer and any more new players would have to be on loan.

Kuyt is much more of a Rafa player then most of the other strikers we have been linked with but if sacrificing Kuyt to get Alves also meant we could get Trezeguet on loan then im afraid its off to Newcastle for Kuyt.

I heard Birmingham want £7m for Pennant. If that's the case it's no wonder Rafa has gone back to Alves. Pennant for £7m or Alves for £12? Obvious choice i'd imagine.

I don't want Kuyt for the prices that have been mooted. If we decided to go for him then we would be expected to pay anywhere between £10m-£14m which is far too much for someone like him.

From what I have seen of Kuyt, he is a real trier but he lacks genuine class that, at the top level, makes all the difference. I just don't think he is worth the risk.

It does seem there is a tremendous amount of talent available this summer. Even more with the Italian thing going on. Off the top of my head there are Anelka, Mido, Bent, Kuyt and Trezeguet who Rafa may want as strikers to replace Moro. While rafa seems to fancy any one of Pennant, Trabelsi, Victor, Simao and Alves as the solution to our right sided problem. Its getting two of those for around the 15m (Since Dave has said Rafa may want Pennant and Kuyt, Im guessing the 'low' for those two would be around 15m, 10m for Kuyt and 5m for Pennant) mark that seems to be our goal.

Why has the Barragan deal been held up ? Is he a bragaining tool for the Alves deal ?

Transfer gossip has that Groundhog Day feel to it this summer, same stories with the same quotes week after week. Alves deal not dead, Kuyt to decide on future etc.

And you also get the same annoying people doing the same thing every day. You just can't punch them in the face like Murray can.

It does seem there is a tremendous amount of talent available this summer. Even more with the Italian thing going on. Off the top of my head there are Anelka, Mido, Bent, Kuyt and Trezeguet who Rafa may want as strikers to replace Moro. While rafa seems to fancy any one of Pennant, Trabelsi, Victor, Simao and Alves as the solution to our right sided problem. Its getting two of those for around the 15m (Since Dave has said Rafa may want Pennant and Kuyt, Im guessing the 'low' for those two would be around 15m, 10m for Kuyt and 5m for Pennant) mark that seems to be our goal.

Why has the Barragan deal been held up ? Is he a bragaining tool for the Alves deal ?

When have we ever been linked to Mido, ever? I'm not getting at you here, it's a genuine question... quite a few people have suggested Mido, so has there ever been any inkling of that from the club, or is it just pure speculation?

When have we ever been linked to Mido, ever? I'm not getting at you here, it's a genuine question... quite a few people have suggested Mido, so has there ever been any inkling of that from the club, or is it just pure speculation?

AFAIK Pure speculation. BUt also cos I like Mido and I think he fits our bill in that hes a strong target man type, who also scores his share of goals, so for me would be an ideal replacement for Moro. Ive not really seen us linked to Anelka either apart from some dodgy turkish newspaper report. I just thought up strikers who arent bad and who are cheap, to illustrate the point.

EDIT: ANd Saviola, forgot him ! Another one on the cheap who could do a job. (though of course, he's more a Cisse replacement than a Moro replacement so Idoubt we'd be interested).

Mido would be a decent option I reckon. The only reservation I have about him is his attitude and temperament. He seemed to be ok at Spurs but they never took up the option of signing him, and you have to wonder why?

If we are after a player similar in style to Crouch, then Mido would be ideal to rotate with him.

I'm with Dave on this by the way - I usually get really excited about new signings etc but I just can't wait for it all to be over.

AFAIK Pure speculation. BUt also cos I like Mido and I think he fits our bill in that hes a strong target man type, who also scores his share of goals, so for me would be an ideal replacement for Moro. Ive not really seen us linked to Anelka either apart from some dodgy turkish newspaper report. I just thought up strikers who arent bad and who are cheap, to illustrate the point.

Rightio.

I agree with your initial point but I can't agree with Mido though! He's a bit too fat and lazy for Rafa I think.

Mido would be a decent option I reckon. The only reservation I have about him is his attitude and temperament. He seemed to be ok at Spurs but they never took up the option of signing him, and you have to wonder why?

If we are after a player similar in style to Crouch, then Mido would be ideal to rotate with him.

I'm with Dave on this by the way - I usually get really excited about new signings etc but I just can't wait for it all to be over.

Agree on the whole trasnfer thing. Ever since Zidane didnt sign in 99, Ive hated trasnfer specualtion. When it happens it will happen.

As for Mido, yep, agree entirley. Moro has gone, Rafa will want someone of that ilk and Mido is one of those players. But your right, his temprement if suspect. That said, if he was an optionm that freed up the cash for Alves, Id be happy.

Rightio.

I agree with your initial point but I can't agree with Mido though! He's a bit too fat and lazy for Rafa I think.

Yep,while I like him I dont dispute those things and since Kuyt looks a typical Rafa player, in that he works his damn socks off, Mido seems the complete opposite. As Dave has said its all about options and Mido is just one of those, even if I agree he's probably not Rafas ideal signing.

Guest Paul Mc

Crouch isn't the greatest player in the world, but what I like about him is that he's disciplined, he knows his role and sticks to that one smallish area and keeps things ticking over with the team in mind. I'm not sure we'd get that with Mido. He plays for himself.

Crouch isn't the greatest player in the world, but what I like about him is that he's disciplined, he knows his role and sticks to that one smallish area and keeps things ticking over with the team in mind. I'm not sure we'd get that with Mido. He plays for himself.

As I said to Jose, I dont think he's a typical Rafa man, thogh I do like him myslef. I just used him as an example of another decent player who is available on the cheap.

Hi I'm karlos long time lurker, first time poster........

Personally I'm getting pissed off with Kuyts situation, sure it may seem like Rafa sees him as a possible target but he has hardly gone out of the way stating that he wants to play for us. Everytime he is quoted its only in reference to playing in the premier league and mentions a few teams. As opposed to our other recruits who have publicly stated that they want to be at Anfield.

If Kuyt wants to mull over his future then his mentality is not right. We need players who have that desire to pull on the red shirt.

Hi I'm karlos long time lurker, first time poster........

Personally I'm getting pissed off with Kuyts situation, sure it may seem like Rafa sees him as a possible target but he has hardly gone out of the way stating that he wants to play for us. Everytime he is quoted its only in reference to playing in the premier league and mentions a few teams. As opposed to our other recruits who have publicly stated that they want to be at Anfield.

If Kuyt wants to mull over his future then his mentality is not right. We need players who have that desire to pull on the red shirt.

Makes you think that we can't have approached him yet, no? If he came out and said, "woo hoo, Liverpool are interested and I want to go there" and we didn't bid for him, then he'd look pretty foolish and it might put other clubs off. Wouldn't put the Geordies off obviously.

Makes you think that we can't have approached him yet, no? If he came out and said, "woo hoo, Liverpool are interested and I want to go there" and we didn't bid for him, then he'd look pretty foolish and it might put other clubs off. Wouldn't put the Geordies off obviously.

So you think we have made absolutely no contact with him at all and he is basing all this speculation on what he has read in the press?

You know, We know, We all know that Rafa is interested, I'm not saying he should strip nekkid and run around the streets of feyernoord proclaiming that Liverpool is the club he is going too but at least give us a little sign that he is willing to play for the biggest club in europe!

That or never put the words Liverpool and Newcastle in the same sentence unless there is a "twats" seperating them.