You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Every player that ever scored 20 goals in a season is clinical then. Good. Glad we got that sorted out and I didn't have to get out the "Ladybird book of football".

which strikers have consistently scored 20-5 goals while not being clinical and which have scored a low amount consistently while being clinical.

It's a genuine question. I'm not being arsey.

which strikers have consistently scored 20-5 goals while not being clinical and which have scored a low amount consistently while being clinical.

It's a genuine question. I'm not being arsey.

I never suggested the second point.

I mentioned Cole as an example of a non-clinical player who was prolific. I really don't have pull up a list of players because if you are suggesting being prolific is the same as being clinical you are suggesting any player to have ever scored a fair few goals is clinical. Which is plainly rediculous.

Are we saying that Michael Ricketts is clinical, how about that big clown who played for Leicester?

from the NOW unfortunately -

LIVERPOOL: Rafa in transfer cash demand

SHOW ME THE MONEY

By David Harrison

RAFA BENITEZ last night piled the pressure on the Anfield board by demanding to know the size of his summer transfer budget.

The Kop boss is keen to start the next phase of his Anfield Rafa-lution as soon as possible so he can launch a more powerful assault on the Premiership next season.

Speaking on the eve of today's Anfield showdown against Bolton, he said: "I don't know at the moment what my budget is.

"I'm not really thinking about it although it will be easier to achieve what I'm trying to achieve if I have money.

"Before the World Cup I hope to know more about the financial situation.

"We can't wait until after the World Cup. We need to know before then and try and bring them in."

The Liverpool board have been negotiating with several potential investors, including Spanish millionaire Juan Villalonga, as exclusively revealed in the News of the World.

He was looking to buy a £42million share of the club but chairman David Moores is also considering selling it completely for around £200m.

We can reveal that Benitez's summer priority will be to reshape his strike force, with Fernando Morientes and Djibril Cisse on the way out.

The Liverpool boss has made inquiries about Real Madrid striker Ronaldo and Charlton's Darren Bent and is also pondering a move for Blackburn's Craig Bellamy. Benitez also hopes to have Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez back in the fold after a successful loan spell at Real Sociedad.

The Reds had trouble getting a work permit for Gonzalez.

But he now hopes to secure a Spanish passport and that will remove any obstacles. Argentina's midfield sensation Sergio Aguero, 17, is also high on the wanted list after he said he is keen on a move to Liverpool from Independiente. Benitez was promised a sizeable transfer kitty when he agreed to sign a contract extension last month.

The Anfield board promised him a new deal plus big money to spend on players after speculation that he was being enticed away from Liverpool by lucrative offers from Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

The Spaniard has not yet signed the extension but insisted: "My contract is not a problem.

"It's not something for now. I've still got three years left on my present contract so it doesn't have to be signed straight away."

Liverpool will have skipper Steven Gerrard back in action against Bolton today after serving a one-match suspension.

And his manager is convinced his captain will not coast his way through the end of the season to save his energy for the World Cup finals.

Benitez said: "Some players lose concentration before a World Cup. They're always thinking about the World Cup and are really selfish.

"But Steven's not like that. He knows how important the club is. He is more mature now and doing the right things for the club.

"Steven's very happy here and has been settled this season.

"Does he want to play abroad one day? I'm not sure. Maybe. Maybe we go together!"

I never suggested the second point.

I mentioned Cole as an example of a non-clinical player who was prolific. I really don't have pull up a list of players because if you are suggesting being prolific is the same as being clinical you are suggesting any player to have ever scored a fair few goals is clinical. Which is plainly rediculous.

Are we saying that Michael Ricketts is clinical, how about that big clown who played for Leicester?

I put the word "consistently" in there by that i mean over a few seasons. I don't think you can justifiably call a player prolific after one season just as you can't call them clinical after one season.

I don't really think there are any strikers who have a history of scoring goals who aren't clinical. Maybe Inzaghi but not really in my opinion. If you think so though then fair enough as it's not exactly the simplest thing in the world to qualify so you have to leave room for subjectivity on the matter.

I definately think you are being harsh on Cole in the manner I described earlier.

re: ali's post. That headline is ridiculously sensationalist. I'm not saying it's entirely without truth but what a ridiculous level of hype.

Rafa's gonna ditch us for Real and take stevie with him should have been the story if the papers really wanted to stir it.

I put the word "consistently" in there by that i mean over a few seasons. I don't think you can justifiably call a player prolific after one season just as you can't call them clinical after one season.

I don't really think there are any strikers who have a history of scoring goals who aren't clinical. Maybe Inzaghi but not really in my opinion. If you think so though then fair enough as it's not exactly the simplest thing in the world to qualify so you have to leave room for subjectivity on the matter.

I definately think you are being harsh on Cole in the manner I described earlier.

I disagree about Cole.

The basic point is that it ain't the total goals I'm interested in for the player we sign, it's the conversion ratio of chances. I have no idea what Bent's is like and hence why 20-odd goals on their own would have me jumping to buy him.

I disagree about Cole.

The basic point is that it ain't the total goals I'm interested in for the player we sign, it's the conversion ratio of chances. I have no idea what Bent's is like and hence why 20-odd goals on their own would have me jumping to buy him.

If he went on to score 20 for the next two seasons running it's fair enough to assume that to perform at that standard must mean that his ratio is quite good is all I'm saying.

On Bent's performances I've seen him about 12 times this season and he doesn't miss anymore chances than you avg striker who gets quite a few goals.

re: ali's post. That headline is ridiculously sensationalist. I'm not saying it's entirely without truth but what a ridiculous level of hype.

Rafa's gonna ditch us for Real and take stevie with him should have been the story if the papers really wanted to stir it.

I've just listened to the pre match press conference and Rafa's batting on about the confidence he has in Parry and the Board, so god knows where these quotes have come from.

article on JAR from the Independent on Sunday here -

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/liverpool/article356611.ece

If he went on to score 20 for the next two seasons running it's fair enough to assume that to perform at that standard must mean that his ratio is quite good is all I'm saying.

On Bent's performances I've seen him about 12 times this season and he doesn't miss anymore chances than you avg striker who gets quite a few goals.

I know what you are saying but if you are the focal point of a team you can get to 20 goals a season without having to be a really clinical player. If your team gets 5 attempts every game and you get four of them due to the team playing to your stregths you can see how putting one a week away would still see you to 20 goals.

We are looking to push on for the title and I'm talking top bracket one-chance, one-goal players that are relatively rare. At the highest level, and especially with the system we play sometimes, small percentages make the difference and hence why you want a Van Nistelroy and not a Cole.

I have lots of mates who are Mancs. I bet I couldn't find one of them who would say Cole was clinical but we'll agree to disagree there.

I know what you are saying but if you are the focal point of a team you can get to 20 goals a season without having to be a really clinical player. If your team gets 5 attempts every game and you get four of them due to the team playing to your stregths you can see how putting one a week away would still see you to 20 goals.

We are looking to push on for the title and I'm talking top bracket one-chance, one-goal players that are relatively rare. At the highest level, and especially with the system we play sometimes, small percentages make the difference and hence why you want a Van Nistelroy and not a Cole.

I have lots of mates who are Mancs. I bet I couldn't find one of them who would say Cole was clinical but we'll agree to disagree there.

I think you're basically saying you want a top top striker as we are a team at the level where only that is going to improve us. I'll deffo agree on that.

I do think the one chance one goal players are even rarer than you state though. The amount of times i hear "so and so would have scored" that but can think of easier chances they've missed is loads. Take cisse against the Mancs he had to score that chance and a better player probably would but i remeber Owen missing an unbelievable sitter v Barca which would have turned the game for us and i'm one of the people who wants him back.

I think we should have a cheeky punt on Hernan Crespo. He really is clinical and seems to hit the target virtually every time he gets the ball. He's not the greatest of grafters, so I'm not sure he's a Rafa player, but if we'd had our best ten from this season with Crespo as Crouch's partner I reckon we'd currently be neck and neck with Chelsea for the title. Like Robbie in his pomp, he always hits the corners. Crespo is clinical, in my view.

This is from the News of the World.

I did put where it was from, this is from the Sunday Mirror, who were obviously at the same hacks Press Conference, with a slightly different slant on the matter -

9 April 2006

SMILES BETTER

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: LIVERPOOL v BOLTON, TODAY, 2PM 'Steve is happy, settled and more mature. He's got no interest in joining Juventus' RAFAEL BENITEZ talks to SUNDAY Mirror SPORT

Simon Mullock

RAFA BENITEZ last night assured Liverpool fans that they will not have to endure another summer of I speculation about Steven Gerrard by insisting that Anfield captain has no interest in joining Juventus.

The Italian giants, armed with £150m from an exclusive television deal agreed in December, have put Gerrard at the top of their wish list despite the fact that the England midfielder committed himself to Liverpool last summer by signing a new four-year contract worth £100,000-a-week.

There have even been suggestions in Turin that the runaway Serie A leaders opened talks with Liverpool about a £30million summer trans-v fer at a recent meeting of the G14 clubs.

But Benitez is adamant that Gerrard does not want to go anywhere - and will never be tempted to leave until he has achieved his greatest ambitions at Anfield.

Benitez told Sunday Mirror Sport: "I have heard about this Juventus link and lean tell you 'no'. "No-one from Liverpool has spoken to Juventus - maybe they have spoken to one of our fans.

"All I can say is that after all the speculation we had last season, Steve is now one of the ' most committed members of our squad.

"Last season it unsettled him because he is a young man. This season he is more mature. There will always be talk about his future be-cause big clubs are always interested in him. But he seems more contented and relaxed now. "Will Steve want to play abroad sometime in the future? Maybe.

"But that will only happen when we've won the Premiership three times and won the Champions League again.

"If that happens then maybe he would want a new challenge. But not until then."

Gerrard has been at his inspirational best this season.

He was sent off for recklessly picking up two yellow cards in the Merseyside derby two weeks ago and missed last Saturday's win at West Brom through suspension.

But he will return to Benitez's line-up for the visit of Bolton as the Liverpool boss looks to match the physical power at Sam Allardyce's disposal.

After missing the World Cup in 2002 to undergo surgery, Gerrard is desperte not to be missing when Sven Goran Eriksson's squad go to Germany in the summer.

But Benitez mantained that Gerrard's commitment to the Liverpool cause means he will not hesitate to keep putting himself in harm's way for his club.

Benitez added: "Steve knows how important it is to do the right things for the club and he seems very focused at this moment.

"What really impresses me is that, although the World Cup is coming close now, his thoughts are only with Liverpool.

"When the big international tournaments are approaching, like the World Cup or the European Championships, some players lose their focus on the club. They start preparing themselves for playing for their country.

"That makes them very selfish. But that is not the case with Steve."

Liverpool legend Sammy Lee returns to the Anfield dug-out as Bolton's coach tomorrow, revealing he never expected Gerard Houllier to be sacked.

Lee was one of the Frenchman's coaching staff when he was axed to make way for Rafael Benitez two years ago.

He said: "I was invited to stay and I fully appreciated that. No one expected Gerard to be sacked and I felt it was best I went with him.

"I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Rafael Benitez and the club."

I think we should have a cheeky punt on Hernan Crespo. He really is clinical and seems to hit the target virtually every time he gets the ball. He's not the greatest of grafters, so I'm not sure he's a Rafa player, but if we'd had our best ten from this season with Crespo as Crouch's partner I reckon we'd currently be neck and neck with Chelsea for the title. Like Robbie in his pomp, he always hits the corners. Crespo is clinical, in my view.

Agreed

I think 'clinical' is related to consistency. If a striker constantly finds the back of the net with his chances (ie, Crespo, Shearer, Van Basten) then they can be labelled 'clinical'

Prolific without being clinical is only possible through endless chances. Yorke was not clinical, but got loads of goals for United. Cantona was clinical but didn't have 40-50 chances per season. Batistuta did and got the goals.

Prolific can be due to clinical finishing, but not regulalry enough to be labelled as prolific:

Angel (1st year at Villa)

Inzaghi (misses more than he scores)\

Kevin Phillips (went through a time where he took most of his chances)

Anelka (seemed to score with every chance during his early years)

Kevin Campbell (see above)

Cisse (prolific in france but not here)

Sticking with Cisse, it goes to show that depending on the league, your team and your managers tactics, any talented striker can prove to be clinical for a while.

However, i think truely clinical strikers will score a high percentage of their chances in any league, in any team and with any tactics (see Owen as a prime example)

Final point to say fuck Andy Cole, and Craig Bellamy too.

Crespo's missed shed loads of chances. i still think he is clinical. I think it shows that all strikers miss chances and a lot of clinical/unclinical is media perseption. If Drogba had missed some of what Crespo had missed he'd get panned

Guest Kop_Some_Bong
This cunt played a lower league team once, and as he walked down the tunnel kissed his Newcastle badge and shouted, "Premier League, thats what it's about you no marks". - CUNT

That's absolutely brilliant if ye ask me, though the remark is, not the badge kissing thing.

Guest Momo Sissoko

THE MIRROR

* Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea are all on alert after Joaquin revealed he is ready to quit Real Betis.

* Chelsea have moved closer to a double swoop for Michael Ballack and Freddy Adu.

* Juan Roman Riquelme will snub a summer move to Manchester United.

Apologies ali - when you wrote "this is from the NOW" I thought you meant now, as in here and now.

:D

Think I would somehow be a bit disappointed if it turned out to be Bellamy, even if he was a boyhood Red. But then I thought Alun Evans was the bees knees :whistle:

It's all a Rafa smokescreen I reckon and he's got Bascombe eating out of his hand.

Not gonna read all of this thread, can't be arsed. I don't like Bellamy though, he's a proper knobhead.

If he does sign though, i'll get behind him because i'm not exactly gonna be on his back am I?

I still hope we go for Owen though.