You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You are getting confused. That wasn't my point. My point was the other way round, that you can have spank the ball anywhere players who in good sides will be prolific. My example was Cole. Can you see my point?

Cant come up with any names then? Theres a surprise.

Jesus. I give up then. Cole was a one chance one goal man obviously.

A lot of the time he was but he had games where he'd miss a load no doubt. You've been comical in here, you say a man who has 278 goals at the top level isnt "clinical" stating some shite about theres players who dont score loads but are clinical then are asked to name some but amazingly cant do it. Seeing as these types of player are so obvious surely you could put a few names into the hat?

I might come in lately in the "Cole's a clinical striker" discussion, but I've always had the impression that Cole is the kind of striker that needs (and gets) a lot of chances to score. Not clinical at all, but scores a lot of goals because he gets a lot of chances. I have to admit though, that in his later years he has become more clinical than he used to be (Newcastle/Man U), but he is still not a type of player I would categorize as clinical.

Refering to how many goals he's scored isn't very helpfull in the discussion without at the same time showing how many chances he's had per goal scored. You can sure as fuck knock down a lot of targets with an MG, but a sniper can get more per bullet. That's clinical finishing for you.

You aren't even reading what I'm saying. Hopeless.

Who are these players who dont score loads but are clinical? Still waiting for some names. It's a simple enough question seeing as you say this is the sort of striker we need and not neccessarily a 25 a season man, if you cant answer it just say so instead of coming back with this boring shit.

What's your definition of clinical Ritchi3?

What's your definition of prolific?

For me I would define the two words, in a footballing sense, as something like this:

Clinical - scores goals from a very high percentage of chances provided.

Prolific - scores a lot of goals.

Anyone else got any other definitions? If you want examples then maybe there's a statto lurking on the site who can find some examples of high-scoring players with low percentage success rates from chances.

You sound to me like you are just arguing for the sake of it. If not, go and find us some examples of players (along with stats, and source of stats) that fit your description of clinical.

One more question - is the best goalkeeper in the country the one that makes the most saves?

I just find the dismissing of someone with a phenomenol goal return as "He needs 5 chances to score" It's fucking bizarre and we know first hand he doesnt need 5 chances to score because he's done it to us before. I agree with your description of clinical and prolific but i'd label Cole as both, the game where he needed 5 shots to score were few and far between just like they were with Owen but the media seemed to highlight it venoumously everytime it happened, not sure why. I'm the one arguing for the sake of it? Who's the one who WONT name any players when I ask a simple question instead just choosing to run away or dismiss me? Whats the goalie question got to do with anything, I havent said Cole has been the best at anything. And for the record no it doesnt but then again I havent stated the one who scores the most is the best either

That first goal by Bellamy was a absolute screamer, looks like hes enjoying his football as well I think hes a good player... we wont go into this debate again though.

Maybe he's finally grown up a bit, the one thing he was always missing was his finishing ability but this season he's shown he's got that so far

What drivel to be honest, of course he was clinical, he had games where he'd miss 5 sitters granted (Like every striker in world football will have) but he also had plenty of games where he'd put away 2 goals from 2 chances. His goal record proves he's clinical.

Surely that proves he's inconsistent?

(Edit: Boy, was I late for that party...)

Maybe he's finally grown up a bit, the one thing he was always missing was his finishing ability but this season he's shown he's got that so far

well thats the big issue if he wasnt such a twat off the pitch I think most people would welcome his signing.... its a touchy subject he defo has the ability which has shown the last year while playing for Blackburn, hes happy and not getting grief off his manager like at Newcastle when that cock Souness was there.... he also did well in Scotland for Celtic even if it is a mugs league, if Rafa thinks hes worth signing he will get his man and il trust his judgement any day of the week. ;)

:yes: Thats the bottom line

is it bollocks. this forum would have no posts if every subject ended with 'I agree with whatever rafa does/says/thinks'.

Bellamy has no class, and he wouldnt fit into our club in the same way Anelka, for example, didnt. He is a fairly good prem striker, but then so is harewood, mido, keane, yakubu etc etc. and none of them would be good enough for the champions league either.

Who are these players who dont score loads but are clinical? Still waiting for some names. It's a simple enough question seeing as you say this is the sort of striker we need and not neccessarily a 25 a season man, if you cant answer it just say so instead of coming back with this boring shit.

I'm not saying that. Are you educationally subnormal or something?

My point was that you can be prolific and not be clinical.

Read that, then read it again, then read it again, then actually discuss that point and not one you are imagining in your head.

Dear Points of View

Whilst watching "Match of the Day" this Saturday, I turned away from the screen momentarily to replenish my supply of Budweiser.

"Oooooohhh. Craig Bellamy! The man is on fire!"

Imagine my disappointment on turning back to the television to discover no evidence of immolation whatsoever.

It's this kind of inaccurate reporting that gives the BBC a bad name. I feel sure that if the corporation had been sufficiently foresighted to secure the services of Graeme Le Saux with a view to swiftly advancing him into an anchor role, we could confidently expect this kind of ineptitude to be consigned to the scrapbook of history.

Shame on you auntie.

Kind regards

"Won't get fooled again".

You're right I bottled it. Your logic was just too intimidating for me and I sought refuge in the frozen goods aisles.

Scoring lots of goals does not make you clinical. You can't get that. I think you're a bit simple. Let's leave it at that.

If we had a clinical striker with the amount of chances we create he would be prolific - simple.

I agree. At no point during this discussion have I suggested otherwise.

Then why the fuss about us not needing a 25 goal a season striker?

We don't need a 25 goal a season striker, we need a clinical striker. There is a difference.

I think most of us would settle for a striker that scores a fair share more goals than the current lot does. If he does, I doubt anyone will give a fuck whether he's clinical or not.

I know I won't.

Guest TK-421

When I think clinical I think Shevchenko, Eto'o, Larsson, RVN, Henry, Ronaldo, old Raul (not modern fake), Hasselbaink, Owen, Fowler, Shearer, Makaay, Rush, Signori, Batistuta, Van Basten, Ian Wright and so on.

Clinical suggest a certain ruthlessness in front of goal but there are prolific strikers who lack this quality e.g Folan and Andy Cole in the earlier part of his career. Cole was at times clinical and on other ocassions wasteful, it is all a thin dividing line and as someone already said a moot point.

That Andy Cole needing loads and loads and loads of chances to score was a bit of a media myth based on that game against W.Ham and not settling initially at Man U. It's the sort of thing that opposition fans lazily picked up on the same way goons come out with the line Peter Crouch is no good. It's obvious they don't watch him regularly for us and just follow the media.

I too would like to know these strikers that miss loads of chances but still get 25 a season and the strikers that score all their chances but only get 7.

Maybe maybe you could say Cisse for the first category as he's got 15 goals. Is that prolific though? Fine lines.

When I think clinical I think Shevchenko, Eto'o, Larsson, RVN, Henry, Ronaldo, old Raul (not modern fake), Hasselbaink, Owen, Fowler, Shearer, Makaay, Rush, Signori, Batistuta, Van Basten, Ian Wright and so on.

Clinical suggest a certain ruthlessness in front of goal but there are prolific strikers who lack this quality e.g Folan and Andy Cole in the earlier part of his career. Cole was at times clinical and on other ocassions wasteful, it is all a thin dividing line and as someone already said a moot point.

it is all very moot as i've seen all those strikers miss series of easy chances except VB who i rarely saw play.