You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa-go get him

Hermes

Luis Figo has admitted that he would like to play in England before he hangs up his boots.

The Portuguese midfielder has 18 months left on his current deal at Real and there has been speculation that he won't be offered a new deal.

"I am certain that I am not going to play for another club in Spain," he told Onda Madrid. "I have that very clear.

"England is a dream for the prestige and respect for professionals there is, but sometimes dreams don't come true.

"My first intention is to complete my contract because it is a way of repaying the chance they (Real) took on me.

"But like any human being, I want to know my future as soon as possible.

"At my age it's logical that they should let me go at the end of this season if they are not going to extend my contract."

This is our weakest position in the team. Why not fill it with the world's best in that position.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you hate Gerrard but want us to sign the worst turncoat the game has ever seen?

How can a Portugese bloke playing for Barcelona be comparable?

I'd love us to sign Figo. He's got years left in him, he's still class and he's a winner. If the choice is Figo for a nominal fee or Wright-Phillips for £17m+, I know which I'd take.

I'd love us to sign Figo. He's got years left in him, he's still class and he's a winner. If the choice is Figo for a nominal fee or Wright-Phillips for £17m+, I know which I'd take.

Would definitely be SWP for me Paul, I'd question Figo's desire and that'd be before thinking about the number of years left in him........

I'd question his ego. It has nothing to do with him leaving Barcelona. It was just the way he was behaving like a brat when Beckham signed. At first Figo didn't like Beckham because he had stolen his limelight. I'm not sure I'd like that type of player in a red shirt.

I wouldn't touch Figo with a barge pole personally. Very talented he may be, but I would have to question his desire and hunger after all those years at the top.

He's a lot better than anything we have on the right obviously, but we should be looking at someone a little younger.

It's a tough one, definitely. Deals like this have always been very hit and miss - for every Djorkaeff there is a Weah. Part of me thinks, he's top quality (world class in fact) and is one of the few players who could help us challenge at the very top, so we should go get him. But another part of me questions whether he still has the hunger and desire to make it in the Premiership at this stage of his career, or if he's just after one big payday.

Basically, I wouldn't be disappointed if Rafa signed him, but I'd definitely see it as a risk. Now if we got Routledge in as well...

shouldnt we scouring for the Alonso's of the game (the next figo) not the old figo's. Can only think of Zola who came towards the end of his career and made an impact. And of course Morientes

G-A-R-Y M-A-C ???

Didnt think too hard then !

:thumbup:

I agree with MLB, it could go either way, he could come over on the cheap and be a sensation. Or h could come over and take the money. I guess its down to the management and Figo's personality and how well they think they can/cant motivate him.

cant stand Figo, dives all the time and labours when things dont go his way

Agree with that. He spends more time on his arse than any other player in the history of football. Talented, but a crying arrogant prick.

If it were a Bosman it might be worth a risk, but I wouldn't pay for him and I'd rather we went for someone else. Problem is, without investment we will only be looking at Bosman's (unless we sell you know who)

Anyone still thinking of Wright-Phillips is kidding themselves. That ship sailed last summer when we wouldn't pay £8m.

Agree with that. He spends more time on his arse than any other player in the history of football. Talented, but a crying arrogant prick.

If it were a Bosman it might be worth a risk, but I wouldn't pay for him and I'd rather we went for someone else. Problem is, without investment we will only be looking at Bosman's (unless we sell you know who)

Anyone still thinking of Wright-Phillips is kidding themselves. That ship sailed last summer when we wouldn't pay £8m.

So we need to get in early for Bradley Wright Phillips the better of the two when they were younger.

But this thread shows us exactly the dilema were in. Can we afford to go out and buy players who are proven and able to slip into the prem without any probelm ? NO, because all the best players are already at the big 3. Can we afford to go abroad, yes, but with the inherent risks of a player not adapting, is it worth that gamble against the gamble of paying over the odds for a young british player ?

Right now FIgo on a free, or nominal fee would be preferable to Nunez. but better than Malbranque ? I dont know, better than SWP, no defo not.

As Ive said in other posts, its worth a gamble on someone like Figo every now and again, so long as we can also keep adding to the squad, with the likes of Barton and Nolan, Carra type players. Not too expensive, not too flash, but proven in the prem, effective in their roles and young enough to continue to develop.

G-A-R-Y M-A-C ???

Didnt think too hard then !

:thumbup:

I agree with MLB, it could go either way, he could come over on the cheap and be a sensation. Or h could come over and take the money. I guess its down to the management and Figo's personality and how well they think they can/cant motivate him.

it was early.... ok name another and then name how many journey men

With you on this one Paulo, if you watch La Liga regularly you can see the impact Figo can have on a game, and thats against fairly well drilled defences. Sign him up and let him rip into the likes of Titus Bramble, Neville etc ....also SWP is going to be 17ish mil, where do we find that from and still sign a pacy quality centreback(or2) top notch centre mid and poss extra striker/goalie cover?

it was early.... ok name another and then name how many journey men

Ok apologies for being too hard in the morning (oo-er, forget that bit!) I agree with you, I just couldnt resist.

Your right there arent many others but Figo has the talent to potentially belong to that group of players in the autumn of their career who can come in a make a difference. Its about application and desire isnt it ? Shearer would have been a good buy last year too, Im sure he'd keep knokcing them in if he wished. Otherwise, the only people I can think of that look of that type are Fowler, Berger and Redknapp and havent we seen them somewhere before......

Because he left one of the biggest clubs in the world for their fiercest rivals when he was one of the best players in the world and a god to the fans?

and as for Sol Campbell, don't tell me the rivalry between Spurs and Arsenal is anywhere near as bad as Real - Barca