You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager Poll (Sans Alonso)

Next Liverpool Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Next Liverpool Manager

• Ruben Amorim
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Marco Silva
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Michel Sanchez
    • Unai Emery
    • Vitor Pereira
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Julen Lopetegui
    • Simone Inzaghi
    • Graham Potter
    • Other (Specify in comments)

26 minutes ago, Code said:

The final is on the 14th of July, if we make a deal with Nagelsmann it would be sorted long before the Euros start, most players will not be back for pre-season before that anyway. 

I know it will be sorted before then, but It means Nagesmann could potentially be focusing on the Euro's until the 14th of July.

I want the new manager in, and solely focusing on us in the summer, not messing about with International shite.

If he was some Klopp like figure I'd be more prepared to wait but he isn't so on that basis I want somebody that is ready to start here as soon as possible. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aws said:

It reminds me of the time I officially ruled myself out of the race for Nicole Kidman and left the field free for Cruise.  

Bet your just as single minded as Xabi and you don’t lose sleep over it?

4 hours ago, Code said:

Nagelsmann is the youngest manager ever to win a Champions League game, he has taken three different clubs to the CL, he has won the Bundesliga, he has taken RB Leipzig to the semi finals of the CL, he has reached the quarter final frequently with good teams.

I like to look at how a club has done before and after a manager to try and see the bigger picture. This is how it works out for Nagelsmann. It looks like he will either keep a team at a high level or improve it when he takes charge, thats certainly what Im looking for in the new manager. The fact he has done it for three different teams like Hoffenheim, Leipzig and Bayern is a good security to bring with you into the job at a club like Liverpool. 

Yes he was sacked at Bayern when he was 1 point behind Dortmund after 25 games and in the quarter finals of both the CL and the German cup, but the results stayed the same and Bayern won it because Dortmund dropped more points the last 9. 

Being a young manager can be difficult, especially in such a strong experienced group as Bayern with big personalities. The people who fired him at Bayern are no longer in the job though, maybe the problem at Bayern was something else than Nagelsmann, this season kind of confirms that. 

But like everyone else, Nagelsmann gets older every year, this summer he will turn 37. He is the young manager with the best background availible, he has got the experience and he has got the results, above all he knows how its like at a top club in Europe and his results in the CL have also been good. 

TSG Hoffenheim:

Before Nagelsmann.

12/13: 16. 34 8 7 19 42-67 31p (win playoff to stay in Bundesliga)

13/14: 9. 34 11 11 12 72-70 44p

14/15: 8. 34 12 8 14 49-55 44p

15/16: 17. 20 2 8 10 18-30 14p

Nagelsmann appointed manager 11. February 2016.

15/16: 5. 14 7 2 5 21-24 23p

(15/16: 15. 34 9 10 15 39-54 37p)

16/17: 4. 34 16 14 4 64-37 62p ( CL)

17/18: 3. 34 15 10 9 66-48 55p ( CL)

18/19: 9. 34 13 12 9 70-52 51p (announced before the season it was his last)

After Nagelsmann.

19/20: 6. 34 15 7 12 53-53 52p

20/21: 11. 34 11 10 13 52-54 43p

21/22: 9. 34 13 7 14 58-60 46p

RB Leipzig:

16 /17: 2. 34 20 7 7 66-39 67p

17/18: 6. 34 15 8 11 57-53 53p

18/19: 3. 34 19 9 6 63-29 66p

Nagelsmann appointed.

19/20: 3. 34 18 12 4 81-37 66p (semifinal CL)

20/21: 2. 34 19 8 7 60-32 65p (last 16 CL, lost to us)

After Nagelsmann.

21/22: 4 34 17 7 10 72-37 58p

22/23: 3. 34 20 6 8 64-41 66p

23/24: (5. 27 15 5 7 60-32 50p) ( season not finished)

Bayern München: 

18/19: 1. 34 24 6 4 88-32 78p

19/20: 1. 34 26 4 4 100-32 82p

20/21: 1. 34 24 6 4 99-44 78p

Nagelsmann appointed

21/22: 1. 34 24 5 5 97-37 77p (knocked out in CL quarter finals)

22/23: 2. 25 15 7 3 72-27 52p ( still in CL quarter final and DFB - Pokal quarter final)

After Nagelsmann from 24th of March

22/23: 2. 9 6 1 2 20-11 19p

(22/23: 1. 34 21 8 5 92-38 71p) ( finish equal points with Dortmund, better GD)

23/24 2. 27 19 3 5 78-33 60p ( season not finished yet)

For his time with Germany I found this.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/how-will-germany-line-up-julian-nagelsmann-euro-2024-24849

To sum it all up, he’s probably the best availible option out there, the only negative I have found is the fact he’s a vegan, but I can live with that as long as he gets the results. If he’s not, then Alonso will be brought in next season. 

You would also like to think his time as German manager has helped him a little more with dealing with senior figures. I know there will have been a lot at Bayern, but Bayern seems an unhappy ship at the moment. With Germany he needs to get players together and maybe playing slightly different styles at club level. I'm finding it hard to see past him as the best candidate. 

4 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Nagelsmann is a non starter for me as he'll be focused on the Euro's all summer.

Replacing Klopp is a big enough ask, and even harder if you only have around five weeks before your first league game.

All the work for preseason will be done already. Any new coach is going to have to deal with the decisions klopp and his team have made, because they have to book out the camps half a year in advance. Plus the north American tour is already booked. If we are to hire him, he will have plenty of time to plan, he can join us a couple of days after his last day with Germany. Most of our players won't even be back. Klopp did just fine taking over a team in October, as do many managers. I'd sooner have the best manager available for the job, not the manager available on July 1st. As you say, it's a big enough job to replace klopp without being 3rd choice (or worse). 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I just put something in another thread about it being surprising if we scrapped what Klopp had put in place. The way managers are dropping like flies it could be your Nagelsmann shout looks likely.

It could just also be if we've identified naglesmann, he's not in contract, won't cost us anything and can sign pretty much any time, that some of those dropping out could be because we're not really directing our interest that way. 

And if we go back to the point @Megadrive Man makes of not wanting naglesmann because of the euros, if we lock someone in during April, it gives that person the opportunity to do some planning with Hughes and the team ahead of them, so everything is in place, new signings agreed upon and just as importantly new contracts for existing players sorted. If we sign someone who's in a job now, we can't think about any of that till almost June. And by then the players fuck off on international duty. 

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It could just also be if we've identified naglesmann, he's not in contract, won't cost us anything and can sign pretty much any time, that some of those dropping out could be because we're not really directing our interest that way. 

And if we go back to the point @Megadrive Man makes of not wanting naglesmann because of the euros, if we lock someone in during April, it gives that person the opportunity to do some planning with Hughes and the team ahead of them, so everything is in place, new signings agreed upon and just as importantly new contracts for existing players sorted. If we sign someone who's in a job now, we can't think about any of that till almost June. And by then the players fuck off on international duty. 

Agree with all of that but it definitely would seem a complete waste to undo everything Klopp has put in place. Nagelsmann is from that German pressing, 4-3-3 set up that would allow us to continue that.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Agree with all of that but it definitely would seem a complete waste to undo everything Klopp has put in place. Nagelsmann is from that German pressing, 4-3-3 set up that would allow us to continue that.

I genuinely don't know enough about naglesmann to know that. If that's the case, I am definitely all in. That's what I want next (as I've just posted on another thread). 

26 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

If you're obsessed with formations, Nagelsmann plays about 10 different ones. So he'd be a no go for you.

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I genuinely don't know enough about naglesmann to know that. If that's the case, I am definitely all in. That's what I want next (as I've just posted on another thread). 

But he looks like a prick.... 

Surely that counts for something

7 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Nagelsmann is a non starter for me as he'll be focused on the Euro's all summer.

Replacing Klopp is a big enough ask, and even harder if you only have around five weeks before your first league game.

'

Half his players will be away with the Euros anyway. 

If he is the guy they want(i don't think he is) then he can easily relay stuff to Hughes and Edwards before the euros and get the players and staff he wants in place and ready for when the euros is over. Not much will happen during the euros anyway

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

'

Half his players will be away with the Euros anyway. 

If he is the guy they want(i don't think he is) then he can easily relay stuff to Hughes and Edwards before the euros and get the players and staff he wants in place and ready for when the euros is over. Not much will happen during the euros anyway

Another factor is, if we 'announce' Nagelsmann, he goes in to the Euros in his home country with the entire nation knowing that he's not sticking around. If they have a nightmare tournament and get knocked out early he'll inevitably get loads of shit from German fans saying things like he'd taken his eye off the ball and obviously wasn't fully concentrating on the job etc. Well get shit loads of 'top banter' about hiring a shit manager.

It just doesn't feel right to me to be committing to two high profile, high pressure jobs at the same time.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He just looks German to me. I can live with that. And he looks less of a prick than di zebedi. 

De Zerbi still thinks he's a teenager, his hair is pathetic. 

Nagelsmann just looks like a little dweeb. I reckon my 8 year old would batter him

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

De Zerbi still thinks he's a teenager, his hair is pathetic. 

Nagelsmann just looks like a little dweeb. I reckon my 8 year old would batter him

You leave dweebs alone! We were always destined to inherit the earth!

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve already identified, contacted and possibly made an offer to someone for the managers job.

The appointments of Edwards and Hughes surely haven’t been done overnight and given Klopp gave notice last November, it’s sensible to have been preparing for a new structure since then.

Could also be one factor why the, seemingly, nailed on replacements have been distancing themselves?