You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's starting to sound more and more like Klopp has been driven out of the club. 

Was it at the point he'd made the decision privately or the point he told the club he was leaving do you reckon?

He probably knew that months after he made the decision to leave that they'd try and force him out by planning for the future.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There was clearly some ego thing going on behind the scenes with Edwards and Klopp before the former left. 

But that shouldn't make a fucking difference to how we handled any of the players we have now. They should all be treated with the same process, data and intelligence as any player on the books. Not we can mark down half a dozen of them because Edwards never bought them. It's fucking embarrassing, especially for people who are supposed to be data driven. 

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But that shouldn't make a fucking difference to how we handled any of the players we have now. They should all be treated with the same process, data and intelligence as any player on the books. Not we can mark down half a dozen of them because Edwards never bought them. It's fucking embarrassing, especially for people who are supposed to be data driven. 

How many great signings did we make under Edwards before Klopp was appointed? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He wasnt really in thar position pre Klopp for long was he?

He wasn't the actual sporting director till 2016. Before that he was technical side so would have had input along with Hunter and others. But I'd put money on him being part of the group that pushed for Coutinho,Sakho,Can Markovic,Origi, Firmino,Gruijic,Gomez etc. I doubt many of those was Rodgers 

After that convincing Klopp on Mane and Salah over Brandt and Gotze. 

Others who didn't work out, but obviously decent players as shown elsewhere Luis Alberto and Aspas

I wouldn't dismiss his input at all,  but it would be interesting to see how it worked out without one of the best of his generation as manager

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He wasnt really in thar position pre Klopp for long was he?

He wasn't the actual sporting director till 2016. Before that he was technical side so would have had input along with Hunter and others. But I'd put money on him being part of the group that pushed for Coutinho,Sakho,Can Markovic,Origi, Firmino,Gruijic,Gomez etc. I doubt many of those was Rodgers 

After that convincing Klopp on Mane and Salah over Brandt and Gotze. 

Others who didn't work out, but obviously decent players as shown elsewhere Luis Alberto and Aspas

I wouldn't dismiss his input at all,  but it would be interesting to see how it worked out without one of the best of his generation as manager

Balotelli? 

35 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Balotelli? 

Who knows who thought that was ever a good idea. 

Actually who knows who thought that summer was a bloody good idea 117ml on thtis lot. Origi joined a year later as part of the deal. 

Rickie Lambert

Adam Lallana

Emre Can

Lazar Marković

Lovren

Alberto Moreno

Mario Balotelli

Divock Origi*

3 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Bobby is really the only player who came from the process he led on the data side. Coutinho was clearly a good signing and Sturridge was good but always injured, which is why Chelsea sold him - but both were a consequence of city's scouting with Hunter when he joined. But the main thing for me was it was Edwards and his team who leaked all the "Rodgers signing" narratives when it suited them, I didn't much notice "committee signing" on the bags of shite they brought to the table, of which there were many. Klopp squashed all that and Edwards has been back 5 minutes and it's starting all over again. Edwards is famous for not wanting to be famous and pretty much avoids speaking to the media - except it seems when it suits him to get sly digs in. He needs to shut the fuck up or we're going to end up with the divided club we had before klopp was here. You know already they're going to be chucking this Slot loser under the bus by this time next year. 

That Athletic bit that someone put up last night was saying that the one position Slot wants plenty of cover for is wingers as he loves them and with the work load on them he likes to rotate during games. Sounds a bit like how we started the season when everyone was fit, rotate them in game and keep them fresh. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

How good is this guy really, though? I think to go from the Championship to Liverpool and be not just a Fabio Carvalho type punt, you have to be absolutely dominant.

5 goals 6 assists in his first season in the premier league as a 20/21 year old , 19 goals 9 assists in the championship so far as a 21/22 year old.

While you'd expect a drop back from his championship figure, as long as you think the output will scale then he's someone to look at for a manager that prizes wingers.

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Who knows who thought that was ever a good idea. 

Actually who knows who thought that summer was a bloody good idea 117ml on thtis lot. Origi joined a year later as part of the deal. 

Rickie Lambert

Adam Lallana

Emre Can

Lazar Marković

Lovren

Alberto Moreno

Mario Balotelli

Divock Origi*

The infamous Suarez money. Every time we announced a new signing that summer it destroyed all the hope I had of us kicking on and challenging again.

• Upvote 1

Fully expect the same story for Trent soon

Real Madrid will not pursue a move for Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies, 23, this summer but are interested in signing the Canada international on a free when his contract expires in 2025.

32 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If you have Trent and Davies as your full backs you could have the greatest centre backs in history in the middle and still ship shedloads of goals. Davies makes Trent look like 2001 Jamie Carragher defensively.

Nah, Davies is a better defender than Trent because of his athleticism.

They do both have this complex, though, that they are too important in attack to be defenders.

• Upvote 1

This issue here is thats its bollocks and unless we are accepting monopoly money they don't have any. And I can't see Edwards being interested in Raphinha who turns 28 later this year.