You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

Don't fancy De Zerbi at all. Brighton had a good start but have tailed off considerably since then which seems to have been widely ignored in the media for some reason. Too small a sample size with mixed results to be taking a punt on him at this stage.

He's lost his best players this season. We look worse when Mac Allister isn't playing at the minute. That said he hasn't exactly made them chalk and cheese from Potters day. I dont want Zerbi outside of Alonso it all feels a bit grim eventually there's a point where Zerbi is the best option because the ones above dont fancy it.

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Well yes.  I’d respect him if he stayed another year. If he then moved to one of the clubs interested in him after the 2024/25 season, then I’d think that’s ok. 

But I’d also have no issue with him moving to Liverpool this summer as that job may not come up again for a few years. I’d just have more respect for him if he was loyal to his current team for a bit longer and lead them into the CL as domestic league champions. 

Agree with this. In an ideal world staying there another year and having a crack at the CL would be the best thing to do. Bayern and Real change manager every couple of years so those jobs will always be there for him at some point. Not sure ours will. If he wants to manage us (which he's always said he does) then now is the time.

Irrespective of our situation, if he left Leverkusen for Bayern I'd think that's a proper shitty thing to do to Leverkusen. If he went to Real I'd think he's just an idiot looking for the easy win. If he stayed at Leverkusen I'd be gutted but would respect his integrity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

De Zerbi is not a Liverpool manager. He's a Chelsea manager. 

Absolutely nothing about the way he carries himself makes me look at him and think I could see him managing us. Stinks of Chelsea to me.

I'd rather have Gary O'Neil than De Zerbi, and I don't want Gary O'Neil because it's not 2013 and that's not the market we should be shopping in given the current staus of the club and everything that is in place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

Agree with this. In an ideal world staying there another year and having a crack at the CL would be the best thing to do. Bayern and Real change manager every couple of years so those jobs will always be there for him at some point. Not sure ours will. If he wants to manage us (which he's always said he does) then now is the time.

Irrespective of our situation, if he left Leverkusen for Bayern I'd think that's a proper shitty thing to do to Leverkusen. If he went to Real I'd think he's just an idiot looking for the easy win. If he stayed at Leverkusen I'd be gutted but would respect his integrity.

If Xabi stays at Leverkusen, he's an idiot. You have to be really stupid to not understand as a professional that your stock will never be higher than after winning a league title with Bayer Leverkusen.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

If Xabi stays at Leverkusen, he's an idiot. You have to be really stupid to not understand as a professional that your stock will never be higher than after winning a league title with Bayer Leverkusen.

I agree, but he'd be a loyal idiot with integrity and I'd respect that.

I was in a similar situation on Footy Manager when I got Pompey promoted all the way from League Two and I won the Premier League with them. Liverpool offered me the job but I wanted to stay and finish what I'd started at Fratton Park. I have no regrets. 

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

I agree, but he'd be a loyal idiot with integrity and I'd respect that.

I was in a similar situation on Footy Manager when I got Pompey promoted all the way from League Two and I won the Premier League with them. Liverpool offered me the job but I wanted to stay and finish what I'd started at Fratton Park. I have no regrets. 

Fair play mate, that is an almost identical and transferable scenario. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Remmie said:

Fair play mate, that is an almost identical and transferable scenario. 

Liverpool in my scenario is Bayern in Xabi's, but otherwise I think it's definitely apples to apples.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The thing is, he can still manage Bayern and not piss on what he's done with Leverkusen. He just needs not to go directly there. 

Why would going to Bayern be pissing on what he has done with Bayer?

He may decide on us as the best option at this moment though. I seem to remember before he eventually signed for us that when he was leaving Real Sociedad their fans were afraid he might go to Real, and he reassured them not to worry, he wouldn't do that to them, or something along those lines. On the other hand, he was 22 back then. 

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

You can't see how going straight to a rival after such a historic achievement would leave a sour taste to some?

Bayern is hardly their rival. Historic achievement would be winning the league, not winning it against Bayern. You almost always have to win it against Bayern.

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Bayern is hardly their rival. Historic achievement would be winning the league, not winning it against Bayern. You almost always have to win it against Bayern.

They've never won the league in their 120 year history. That's historic. Bayern are their domestic rivals in this race.

Leaving for them would be shitty.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

They've never won the league in their 120 year history. That's historic. Bayern are their domestic rivals in this race.

Leaving for them would be shitty.

So, should Villa for example win the league, it would be shitty for Emery to then go to City? But not to Real Madrid?

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yes.

Hope that clears things up for you.

So, he takes them from the relegation zone to the title and if he then wants to take a top job in the league when his contract is up, it's a shitty thing to do, because he owes them. OK.  

29 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yes.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Agree 100%.

You don't beat a team to the title and then go and join them. You just don't do it, it's a massive kick in the balls to your current club.

• Like 1