You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

Maybe im biased but i look at the Bayern squad and ours and i think we are the better prospect Jurgen is leaving a nice blend of youth and experience if we can keep this squad and add to it in the summer i think we are good to go

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Maybe im biased but i look at the Bayern squad and ours and i think we are the better prospect Jurgen is leaving a nice blend of youth and experience if we can keep this squad and add to it in the summer i think we are good to go

It's not the players I am concerned about,it's the managerial appointment. I hope FSG have learnt their lesson now.

I’m in Cologne quite regularly with work and dealing with the Germans daily, and they say the general sports journalists consensus over there is Alonso is most likely staying at Leverkusen. But if not, Bayern are his most likely destination. For what it’s worth (which might be nothing)

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

And that's that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/16/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-xabi-alonso-football

Jürgen Klopp endorses Liverpool target Xabi Alonso as ‘standout’ candidate.

Oh fuck no, didn't Slur Exlax endorse Gollum as his replacement at the Glams?

Alonso's out.

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Oh fuck no, didn't Slur Exlax endorse Gollum as his replacement at the Glams?

Alonso's out.

Slur wanted Mourinho out of the picture and going all in on another dour Scot fitted the bill .  I don't see any parallels here 

Xabi doesn’t strike me as a good fit as coach of FC Hollywood, the most politics heavy club in Germany.  On the otherhand I lived just outside München for 6 years and it is a wonderful part of the world. I can’t think of a better place to live, maybe he and his family think the same

• 2 months later...

So, the farewell tour.

Dumped out of the FA cup against Man U in embarrassing circumstances.

Dumped out the Europa by Atalanta in embarrassing circumstances. 

Dumped out the title race by Everton in embarrassing circumstances.

I hope Klopp tore a strip off the players last night. That's how they've repaid him for years of success. 

Imagine - IMAGINE - being outplayed by this Everton team, with a league title to be won.

• Upvote 1

I can absolutely handle him leaving, always could and not just because he now looks more than ready to go.

I can absolutely handle that the chances are we now slip back into mediocrity, and probably for a very long time. It was always on the cards post-Klopp.

What I am struggling with (especially last night but feel a bit better this morning) is the fact we've not been able to celebrate a title win with Klopp. It's gutting it really is as he so deserved it and so did we.  I'm sure this feeling will pass and thankfully the celebrations in 2019 are quite something to remember.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a demonstrably wrong belief taking hold that our slump in form since 17th March is caused by Klopp's announcement on 27th January.

It isn't.

Similar to Rafa Benitez’s ‘rant’ being blamed for our failure to win the league in 2009.

• Upvote 4

On 25/04/2024 at 09:44, Moo said:

What I am struggling with (especially last night but feel a bit better this morning) is the fact we've not been able to celebrate a title win with Klopp

I celebrated with him. I probably celebrated enough for me and you.

On 25/04/2024 at 09:38, johnsusername said:

I hope Klopp tore a strip off the players last night. That's how they've repaid him for years of success. 

I doubt that he's shouted at them in weeks. He looks like he's just accepted it and doesn't want to kick anyone's arse because he's not going to be with them for much longer. 

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a demonstrably wrong belief taking hold that our slump in form since 17th March is caused by Klopp's announcement on 27th January.

It isn't.

Don't think its the only reason but i would say its part of it, especially with the big push of "do it for Klopp", i would say its more mental exhaustion with a bit of a adrenaline dump coming the last few weeks. 

This was my concern when he said he was leaving. It was all smiles and roses whilst we were performing to our level.  It was if we hit adversity I was worried how we would react- not so much Klopp, but the players. 

Its been hugely disappointing 

• Upvote 1

I still puzzle at not only the timing of the announcement that Klopp was stepping down but the detailed reasoning (albeit honest and justified) 

We were in a rich vein of form at the time and then the key words from our top man were tiredness, exhaustion, needs a break.

He absolutely does and he’s earned it, and then some,  but that kind of language from your manager mid season has to reflect on your mindset as a player surely?

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

I still puzzle at not only the timing of the announcement that Klopp was stepping down but the detailed reasoning (albeit honest and justified) 

We were in a rich vein of form at the time and then the key words from our top man were tiredness, exhaustion, needs a break.

He absolutely does and he’s earned it, and then some,  but that kind of language from your manager mid season has to reflect on your mindset as a player surely?

They couldn't keep it quiet forever. It surely came out because it would be found out when they tried to hire a new manager. As for why he told the club rather than keep it quiet, I think it's likely he was being fair to the club and his staff, giving them the maximum time to work out their next move. 

I don't think there was ever a good time. The best for our success this year would have been for him to keep quiet and announce when it's all over. But that would be unlikely to be the best for the club or ljinders etc in the long term. 

It's visibly taking its toll on him now. He probably needed to announce it for his own mental health. Rather than carry on a lie he's been open and also made sure the decision is a final one. It may not of worked out great in the end but who is to say things would of happened any different on the pitch.