You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia

bossy

Saw a lot of it when I went there. Aborigines in the towns treated like absolute shite. Try telling an Aussie that he’s the immigrant …… they don’t like it one bit. Well some, most are sound. The biggest bellends are usually Aussies that come over here. Same with South Africans. They need everyone to know where they’re from. Suppose some bad over exaggerated scousers are the same. The worlds chocker full of cunts 

In Australia, racism isn't individual or small group actions, it is woven into the cultural fabric of the nation.

For such a great nation, it is an eternal shame that they are about 20 years behind countries like New Zealand and, though to a lesser degree, Canada.

In that sense, it is certainly more aligned to America.  Interestingly, the race issue in America focuses on the Afro-American and the Hispanic populations much more than it does on First Nation peoples.

15 hours ago, bossy said:

Another country where racists seem to be the majority. The fuckers are everywhere. A sad day for the Aboriginal people.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/14/indigenous-australians-grapple-with-gut-wrenching-result-but-pledge-to-keep-fighting?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Ah the guardian , that bastion of fair reporting. This was a referendum that many people felt was short on a lot of important detail and they were being asked to vote yes and the details would be sorted out later. I wonder how many of you would vote for something which appeared to be short on some important detail. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Ah the guardian , that bastion of fair reporting. This was a referendum that many people felt was short on a lot of important detail and they were being asked to vote yes and the details would be sorted out later. I wonder how many of you would vote for something which appeared to be short on some important detail. 

Yes the lack of detail allowed the opposition room to fill in the gaps with bespoke lies and fear-mongering for all different types of people.

Pretty naive politics really.

Although that being said, I still can’t believe the margin of the result. Will go down as a shameful moment in the country’s history.

30 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yes the lack of detail allowed the opposition room to fill in the gaps with bespoke lies and fear-mongering for all different types of people.

Pretty naive politics really.

Although that being said, I still can’t believe the margin of the result. Will go down as a shameful moment in the country’s history.

I don’t believe that people don’t want the gap closed and to see a positive change . A change that was proposed such as this needed a lot more information behind it. I struggle to understand what the gov is doing with the almost $40 billion a year allocated for aboriginal affairs.

3 hours ago, CapeRed said:

About 52% it seems.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Out of interest what details were missing, in terms of the consequences of a vote in favour?