You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Why Liverpool are looking to Romeo Lavia to complete their midfield (whoscored.com)

Decent little article on Lavia. 

With Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai signed and Thiago tipped for a summer switch to Turkish outfit Galatasaray, Liverpool's midfield is undergoing the desperately needed revamp. Having splashed the cash on midfield and attack in recent years, the Reds are finally investing in a key area, with both Mac Allister and Szoboszlai improving the side in the middle of the park. 

Liverpool, though, are not finished yet. Granted, they may need to sell players before they can buy, but if they end the window with just two midfield additions, then a title push may be out of the question. Bring in one to help shield the defence, however, and the Merseysiders will undoubtedly close the gap on the top two next season. 

A number of holding midfielders have cropped up on Liverpool's radar in recent weeks. Nice star Khephren Thuram was believed to be a top target, while Gladbach youngster Manu Kone is another who has been linked with a summer switch to Anfield, but if reports are to be believed; then Romeo Lavia is who Liverpool have settled on in their bid to bolster in the middle of the park. 

Southampton's relegation didn't overshadow what was an impressive season by Lavia, whose stock has soared over the last few months. Indeed, Liverpool aren't the only side who have been credited with an interest in the Belgian, with Arsenal, Chelsea and former side Manchester City all courting the youngster. The latter do have a buyback clause in Lavia, though that doesn't become active until 2024. 

That he played under three different managers, and was a consistent performer in the Saints midfield under all three, is proof that he was held in such high esteem on the south coast. He was one of a few whose reputation was boosted despite dropping into the Championship, and while Saints are reportedly looking to bring in around £50m for Lavia, there is certainly an argument to be made that he'd be worth the fee. 

What really stood out was the ease with which he adjusted to the rigours of regular first team action at Saints. The departure of Oriol Romeu last summer meant he had big boots to fill in the midfield, but Lavia slotted in seamlessly alongside James Ward-Prowse in the middle of the park, looking more the seasoned pro rather than a teenager in his debut Premier League campaign. 

He was an effective ball winner, noted in that of players aged 21 and under, only Moises Caicedo (142) won possession in the midfield third more times than Lavia (114) in Europe's top five leagues last season. In addition, he was top for tackles (60), interceptions (33) and shots blocked (11) of Premier League players aged 21 and under in 2022/23, all the while boasting a modest tackle success rate of 65.2%. Room for improvement, of course, but the signs are indeed positive. 

Furthermore, Lavia knows what to do with the ball when he does rob opponents of possession. While 40 passes per 90 isn't perhaps worth shouting home about, a pass success rate of 86.4% was better than any other Saints player, a solid haul for a Saints outfit that had the sixth lowest possession return (44.1%) and the fifth worst pass success rate (77.3%). These are two returns that would undoubtedly rise in a team that does dominate the ball in the same manner as Liverpool. 

Given that Saints were often on the back foot last season, this meant the midfield and defence was routinely under opposition pressure, but Lavia showed that he is incredibly press-resistant. He was dispossessed just 1.3 times per 90, which given he at times operated as the sole holding midfielder for Saints last season, was crucial in ensuring Saints faced just 13.8 shots per game, that fewer than the likes of Bournemouth (16.5) and Brentford (14.7) in the Premier League last season. 

Granted Saints ultimately succumbed to relegation, but it would have been far worse had Lavia not made an immediate impact at St. Mary's. What will have further appealed to Jurgen Klopp is that Lavia can, in theory, operate in a couple of midfield roles rather than solely as the holder in his favoured 4-3-3 setup. Not only is Lavia able to pick out a teammate with relative once he wins the ball for his side, he can also carry the ball upfield to help open up angles to hurt opponents. 

Lavia chipped in with a respectable 1.1 successful dribbles per 90 in the Premier League last season, and while this remains an area in need of refinement, as noted by a success rate of 56%; the Liverpool target can also be utilised as one of the two midfielders either side of first choice holding midfielder Fabinho. This, then, would ease the pressure on Lavia to hit the ground running at Anfield were he to walk the well-trodden path from Southampton to Merseyside this summer. 

In addition, he'd have time to learn from the Brazilian before ultimately succeeding him in the role, which would further aid develop Lavia's game before he goes on to become a first team regular for Klopp's side. It's clear to see that Lavia isn't the finished article, but he's one on the right path to stardom. He was influential in a relegated Saints side; under the watchful eye of Klopp, Lavia would undoubtedly go on to become a world beater.

• Upvote 1

After hearing Southampton fans rave about Lavia I'm all aboard that train. They've had some good players over the years at Southampton. Whenever I hear people or have heard Nice fans talk of Thuram it's very low key praise. I've seen very little of either to have a genuine honest valuable opinion but hearing bullshit like we should get Thuram because he's taller just irks me. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

After hearing Southampton fans rave about Lavia I'm all aboard that train. They've had some good players over the years at Southampton. Whenever I hear people or have heard Nice fans talk of Thuram it's very low key praise. I've seen very little of either to have a genuine honest valuable opinion but hearing bullshit like we should get Thuram because he's taller just irks me. 

We should get Thuram because his dad was boss. How good was Lavia's dad? Exactly 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Regular playing time? Sun? Cash? Gerrard?

Regular playing time?  Plenty of clubs in Europe would give him that (fitness permitting).

Sunshine?  He's from Sunderland; he's allergic to it.

Cash?  He's got fucking loads; what would he do with loads more?

Gerrard?  I'm not convinced he's that big a draw; better managers are available.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Remmie said:

We should get Thuram because his dad was boss. How good was Lavia's dad? Exactly 

Interestingly Szoboszlai’s dad was a professional footballer in Hungary. We do seem to be stocking up on players whose dads played football too. Think we’ve got about five of them in the academy, obviously Mac Allister too.

14 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Interestingly Szoboszlai’s dad was a professional footballer in Hungary. We do seem to be stocking up on players whose dads played football too. Think we’ve got about five of them in the academy, obviously Mac Allister too.

Dads v Lads competition is on!

• Haha 2

Zero chance Hendo leaves. Also the idea of Hendo and Thiago both leaving now as some lunatics are suggesting is terrifying. Both highly experienced leaders in a group that just lost Milner. I agree we should be looking for hendo starting games to be reduced now, and hopefully Szoboszlai comes in and takes us to another level. But I'm not sure I'd bet against Jordan Henderson however, and his leadership will be crucial for some time yet.

• Upvote 4