You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

A terrible take.

There's video and Audio footage of him raping her.

The whole "they're still together" argument is the one that often gets trotted out when victims of abuse stay with their partner.

There really isnt, not the video and audio I have seen at least. 

26 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Thats it dude. Football is a simple game.

I think Jurgen has made it more complex than he needed, we shouldnt be all at sea against some of the shittest teams around.

We shipped 4 against Furth, one against Darmstadt (who hadnt scored in several games up to that point) and two against Bournemouth in four minutes, ok it was chalked off but we were still all over the place.

If he wants to continue this crazy formation then he needs to go out and buy the players he needs to make it work, otherwise change the formation back.

Ok, I had the impression based on your usual outlook that we needed a total makeover, but if that's all it is, it should be pretty simple.

31 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

So you’re saying the inverted full back system that Arsenal and City played last season isn’t for us?

And with a new ‘solid’ right back in place I assume you want Trent in midfield then? Which I very much doubt is a good option, can’t see that he’s suited to it. Bournemouth’s goal was a perfect example why.

I agree by the way, that we’re a shambles defensively. But I dont think the solution is getting a ‘solid’ right back in. Our best spell by some distance  last season was with Trent as the inverted full back. We were shit defensively before the change, and probably almost as shit after, but results improved.

I think we've been a bit of a mess defensively since the tail end of the 21/22 season. That's when we started throwing away early goals, but shear will (and desparation) to win saw us through. I'm not chuffed with the formation. But we're less frail than we were in the early ans mid part of last season. We've played this formation 12 times and we're still unbeaten - which is not shabby while you're learning stuff. But the first real test comes this weekend. 

For me I'm happy for us to work through the teething problems. My worry with it all is we have so many players out of the first XI who don't look suited to this. 

If you watched Palace tonight and you were told one of their midfielders was worth 70m and the other 10m, you would struggle to understand who was which. Doucoure looks no different to me than hundreds of midfielders who've passed through the league, run around blocking passing lanes, get your boot in, do Hodgson stuff. When Arsenal went down to 10 and he had plenty of the ball he looked like a 10m player.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we've been a bit of a mess defensively since the tail end of the 21/22 season. That's when we started throwing away early goals, but shear will (and desparation) to win saw us through. I'm not chuffed with the formation. But we're less frail than we were in the early ans mid part of last season. We've played this formation 12 times and we're still unbeaten - which is not shabby while you're learning stuff. But the first real test comes this weekend. 

For me I'm happy for us to work through the teething problems. My worry with it all is we have so many players out of the first XI who don't look suited to this. 

Agree with more or less all of this. The problem unfortunately is very much about other things the formation imo.

49 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

So you’re saying the inverted full back system that Arsenal and City played last season isn’t for us?

And with a new ‘solid’ right back in place I assume you want Trent in midfield then? Which I very much doubt is a good option, can’t see that he’s suited to it. Bournemouth’s goal was a perfect example why.

I agree by the way, that we’re a shambles defensively. But I dont think the solution is getting a ‘solid’ right back in. Our best spell by some distance  last season was with Trent as the inverted full back. We were shit defensively before the change, and probably almost as shit after, but results improved.

You cant expect to win the top pots if your games are constantly on a knifes edge, which our games are.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You cant expect to win the top pots if your games are constantly on a knifes edge, which our games are.

To be fair, that might not be the case as we settle down, endo gets up to speed, Mac moves forward and we gain some faith in what we're doing..it's a learning process right now and if we were learning a new system under a new manager and we'd gone 12 games unbeaten, I think most people would think "imagine how good this is going to be when we get the hang of this". But because it's klopp, we look back with fondness and wish we could reclaim what that last team had. But it's gone and we're shaping a new one. It would have been better if it wasn't so drastic, but it is. I think you've got to give this system until at least Christmas. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair, that might not be the case as we settle down, endo gets up to speed, Mac moves forward and we gain some faith in what we're doing..it's a learning process right now and if we were learning a new system under a new manager and we'd gone 12 games unbeaten, I think most people would think "imagine how good this is going to be when we get the hang of this". But because it's klopp, we look back with fondness and wish we could reclaim what that last team had. But it's gone and we're shaping a new one. It would have been better if it wasn't so drastic, but it is. I think you've got to give this system until at least Christmas. 

Agree although a significant number of goals we have been conceding have been because of players being a bunch dozy fucking twats and not reacting quickly to danger.

Trent being the key culprit but VVD not far off.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who do you see as a square peg at this point? Other than Tsimikas and probably Matip.

The square pegs thing is a mix of both not having enough as well as the suitability of players themselves - for example Gakpo forced into playing in midfield....having no available recognised DM until Endo signed, no real idea where Nunez can be effective. Robbo is arguably becoming one as his new job curtails what he is so good at and asks of him stuff he is maybe not so good at.

Elliott is possibly another. Have we yet properly been able to sit Mac Allister where he will be best suited?..

Even the fact that there is so much debate about where a talent like TAA is/should be playing.

We so often seem to be in make and do mode and that is where the hammering square pegs into round holes starts.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I think Klopp would be a fan. Tall, big frame and great passing range.

His passing is indeed excellent.

I read a good piece in the athletic which went into good detail about his passing and how it had given Palace a new dimension.

10 hours ago, El Rojo said:

We should go all in on Ivan Toney in January. Older than our usual 'profile' at 27, but titles aren't given out for sides having low average ages. 

Just listened to a podcast he did recently and Toney admitted he was a Liverpool fan as a kid.

I wasn't overly impressed with his response to the betting ban though. Still feel like he's a bit in denial about it.

He's very ambitious though so I can't see him staying at Brentford forever.

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

Just listened to a podcast he did recently and Toney admitted he was a Liverpool fan as a kid.

I wasn't overly impressed with his response to the betting ban though. Still feel like he's a bit in denial about it.

He's very ambitious though so I can't see him staying at Brentford forever.

He'll be nearly 28 by time he starts playing again - so his big move really needs to happen soon if it is going to happen.

Yeah, [I’m a] Liverpool fan,’ the 27-year-old told The Diary of a CEO podcast.

‘I have been a Liverpool fan my whole life, but from young I have liked Arsenal, I like watching Arsenal and how they play and kind of how passionate the fans are. But, yeah, Liverpool fan – Liverpool boy at heart.’

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

The square pegs thing is a mix of both not having enough as well as the suitability of players themselves - for example Gakpo forced into playing in midfield....having no available recognised DM until Endo signed, no real idea where Nunez can be effective. Robbo is arguably becoming one as his new job curtails what he is so good at and asks of him stuff he is maybe not so good at.

Elliott is possibly another. Have we yet properly been able to sit Mac Allister where he will be best suited?..

Even the fact that there is so much debate about where a talent like TAA is/should be playing.

We so often seem to be in make and do mode and that is where the hammering square pegs into round holes starts.

Gakpo has played there plenty - including last season.

I recognise Thiago and Bajecetic. They are certainly not square pegs in that role. But, the other fella has signed.

How is there a question about Elliott? 

We know where he is playing, that is why there is this discussion - there is no chance we suddenly flip back full time to 433 imo.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gakpo has played there plenty - including last season.

I recognise Thiago and Bajecetic. They are certainly not square pegs in that role. But, the other fella has signed.

How is there a question about Elliott? 

We know where he is playing, that is why there is this discussion - there is no chance we suddenly flip back full time to 433 imo.

The key word about DM's I used was available.

The square pegs thing becomes an issue when you don't have players available and don't have enough cover/can't bring in like for like to fit in seamlessly. Now of course Bajcetic will hopefully be fit soon, but it is still a big ask of a lad with so little experience and we broke him last season overplaying him because we had no choice/we couldn't trust so called senior players. Endo coming in of course helps manage that burden - we'll leave Thiago out of this as frankly any games he is available for at this point are to me a bonus. Whether Endo, Bajcetic and the odd bonus apperances from Thiago are enough only time will tell....gut feeling says it won't be.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

The key word about DM's I used was available.

The square pegs thing becomes an issue when you don't have players available and don't have enough cover/can't bring in like for like to fit in seamlessly.

Not sure we really need more than 4 fellas who can do it in this system.

More likely we add Gravenberch to take Gakpo's spot and push him to CF than getting another fella there. I think Wateru will play a little bit in the back as well.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure we really need more than 4 fellas who can do it in this system.

More likely we add Gravenberch to take Gakpo's spot and push him to CF than getting another fella there. I think the Wateru fella will play a little bit in the back as well.

I'd be reasonably happy with Gravenberch in and Gakpo moved into front line...add a centre half and we'd be close enough IMO.

Largely dependent though on Endo being up to scratch - hopefully he is, I worry about us if he isn't...A week or so ago we were bidding 111m for a 21 year old DM player considered to be a potential game changer so we must have seen it as a very, very serious need and a position we were going to break our transfer record by a massive amount to bring a player in to..... and here we are now days later with a 30 year old budget buy and the reported noise is that is "it" for DM - that is some pivot in a few days and is to me a very strange strategy.

Time of course will tell.