You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I find it hard to draw the moral line when it comes to football finance.

Saudis? Qatar? Russia?- admirable on a global scale.

But when the father and life long Liverpool fan cant afford the £90 for the football shirt (that is likely made in the third world for a pittance) his son desperately wants as he has to pay the rent/mortgage, when the club itself are paying Juventus a loan fee in the £millions for Artur Melo? And then paying the player 100k a week?

Dont get me wrong- I know its a flawed/unrelated comparison in real terms- Melo and Liverpool arent in the business of  global atrocities but I find it weird when the average fan gets morally outraged when they are happy to accept the utter insanity that is modern football finance, irrespective of the moneys origins.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Dave D said:

irrespective of the moneys origins.

Putting ticket and kit pricing aside ( as that is the one area where all teams are pretty close, especially on "official" merch) There is a clear demarcation in English football history where the money into teams got dodgy. Early 2000's and everything changed.

• Upvote 1

Hate this knobhead so much. She just cobbles together a load of things that sound vaguely clever without actually saying anything. Great mentality, tactical genius, works in between the spaces etc. Over exaggerates every Italian players name despite being from the UAE and living in London.

She still thinks it's the early 90s and that Serie A is the best in the world and all the players who play there are mythical beings that she can only describe to us mere mortals. 

Oh and Salah "irritates" her and he's just another Juan Cuadrado. No idea why she is considered an expert on Italian football.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Putting ticket and kit pricing aside ( as that is the one area where all teams are pretty close, especially on "official" merch) There is a clear demarcation in English football history where the money into teams got dodgy. Early 2000's and everything changed.

Before 1981, dividends were capped at 7.5% and directors couldn't be paid by the club.  

Thatcher/Reaganomics deregulation. 

Good piece by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian last weekend. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jul/01/football-clubs-communities-fans-owners

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I wonder what people in Yemen think of Standard Chartered.

Also wonder what the people of Yemen think of being bombed by Saudi missiles & weaponry sold by the UK to the Saudis for billions of pounds. 

Some money is much dirtier than other money. True. So I guess the billions of pounds regularly accepted by the UK from the Saudis should be considered one of the dirtiest around. Not much is ever said about that by many of those people on a moral crusade though. Selective outrage at its finest.

• Upvote 3

The Saudi’s have been called out regularly on the GF for both their actions, and government dealings with them.

We had discussions over Standard Chartered as shirt sponsors when the accusations against them were first levelled.

But we should never let some facts get in the way of attempted virtue signalling.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

There is no such thing as cleaner shit. All shit is equally dirty.

No way man.  There are those beautiful poos that come out clean as a whistle, one wipe to check, then all done.

Then there are the splattery ones that take half a bog roll, and you still missed a bit on your left arse cheek.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

No way man.  There are those beautiful poos that come out clean as a whistle, one wipe to check, then all done.

Then there are the splattery ones that take half a bog roll, and you still missed a bit on your left arse cheek.

Easier to handle in form. Equally dirty in essence. That was a good illustration thank you.

16 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The honours list of great philosophers of our time has to now be updated; Socrates, Nieztsche, Freud, Sartre and some gobshite - JJ off TLW. With great power comes great responsibility.

• Upvote 2

Lads I come onto this specific thread every morning hoping something has happened overnight . I do not need to be wading through moral dilemmas at 7 am ever morning when in this case the answer is pretty generic. Everyone is taking the Saudi money government's,  individuals,  companies  included . If we were offered double our salaries or hourly rates we would do it as well . Stop all the moralising and get on with posting some unreliable rumours that make my current working life more bearable .

19 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Henderson can't fill the Milner role, he's not nearly fit, robust or strong enough, and he doesn't have the same game intelligence. Baffles me when people say it. 

Game intelligence, presence, or example on the pitch. Like you, I really don't understand the idea that Henderson will be capable of filling Milner's role in the squad. I'd rather we'd sold Henderson and kept Milner.

1 hour ago, Jurgen Knows said:

There is no such thing as cleaner shit.

All shit is equally dirty.

We equally condemn all shit.

Tell you what, I’ll offer up a horse shit sized human shit and a pile of horse shit to dig your nostrils in to and you tell me which one stinks more.