You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Keep - Allison, Trent, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson, Tsimikas, Bajetic, Elliot, Carvalho, Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo, Thiago, Ramsey, Morton, Bradley etc etc….

Sell - Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah - £150m?

Buy - Back up keeper, 2 centre backs, 3 midfielders and an attacker- win the lottery?

Apologies if I missed any. 

Mount is basically a younger, fitter, better version of Adam Lallana. Of course Klopp is going to love that kind of young nice boy midfielder. If the midfield consists of Bellingham, Nunes and Mount then we’ll be in good knick. How defensive is Nunes? Could we be looking at dropping the dedicated 6 in favour of the Klopp dream of a midfield of Hendersons? 

18 hours ago, luxury_scruff said:

Jonathan Northcroft - The Times:

Liverpool to back Jürgen Klopp for summer rebuild | Sport | The Sunda…

Liverpool are ready to fight back after a dismal season by funding Jürgen Klopp to rebuild his squad in the summer and by hiring a new head of research — a key position in the club’s recruitment operations.

Liverpool are close to naming a successor to Dr Ian Graham, who built the renowned data science department, and whose work informed a number of the club’s transfer coups since he joined the club in 2012. These included the signing of Mohamed Salah from Roma for £34 million, Sadio Mané from Southampton for £36 million and Andy Robertson for £8 million from Hull.

Graham’s number-crunching also helped to steer Liverpool towards the hiring of Klopp himself, in 2015, after analysis suggested Klopp’s final season at Borussia Dortmund — where Dortmund spent time at the bottom of the Bundesliga and finished seventh — was anomalous, given underlying performance indicators.

The figure poised to replace Graham is thought to be working in the game and regarded as a leading operator in the football data field. Graham, a Cambridge University physicist, is working a notice period until May.

Despite misguided speculation to the contrary, Klopp has no intention of walking away from Liverpool — and, indeed, is said to be filled with a renewed energy and desire to revamp his team and “go again”. He has been buoyed by indications he will be given significant resources to overhaul his playing personnel.

With a number of leading players now in their thirties or approaching 30, and the Premier League being led by its youngest team — Arsenal — there is an acknowledgement that younger, fresh blood is needed. The Borussia Dortmund midfield phenomenon, Jude Bellingham, 19 is among Liverpool’s principal targets. They face competition from Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Chelsea for the England star, who is valued at about €150 million (£131 million) by his club. Liverpool are also strongly linked with Wolves’ Matheus Nunes, who would cost about €50 million (£44 million).

Funding a transfer overhaul would also represent a statement of commitment from Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), who in November signalled they were open to offers for the club. FSG’s position is that they are continuing to explore new investment.

And the new head of research is the old deputy head of research. And they liked him so much, it took months and months to appoint him. Or he's cheap. 

• Haha 1

I don’t understand the idea that we should sell Fabinho? Yes, he’s fallen off a cliff form wise, but he’s only 29 and his norm is 5 years of being sensational. The idea he definitely can’t rediscover that form and so should be sold seems totally counter intuitive?  We should, at the very least, be giving him the first half of next season too to rediscover form and only then make a decision. A performing Fabinho is one of the very best in the world. At his age and with his skill set, there is no reason he can’t rediscover that and perform again. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I don’t understand the idea that we should sell Fabinho? Yes, he’s fallen off a cliff form wise, but he’s only 29 and his norm is 5 years of being sensational. The idea he definitely can’t rediscover that form and so should be sold seems totally counter intuitive?  We should, at the very least, be giving him the first half of next season too to rediscover form and only then make a decision. A performing Fabinho is one of the very best in the world. At his age and with his skill set, there is no reason he can’t rediscover that and perform again. 

He's playing like he actually has fallen off a cliff. 

19 hours ago, luxury_scruff said:

Jonathan Northcroft - The Times:

Liverpool to back Jürgen Klopp for summer rebuild | Sport | The Sunda…

Liverpool are ready to fight back after a dismal season by funding Jürgen Klopp to rebuild his squad in the summer and by hiring a new head of research — a key position in the club’s recruitment operations.

Liverpool are close to naming a successor to Dr Ian Graham, who built the renowned data science department, and whose work informed a number of the club’s transfer coups since he joined the club in 2012. These included the signing of Mohamed Salah from Roma for £34 million, Sadio Mané from Southampton for £36 million and Andy Robertson for £8 million from Hull.

Graham’s number-crunching also helped to steer Liverpool towards the hiring of Klopp himself, in 2015, after analysis suggested Klopp’s final season at Borussia Dortmund — where Dortmund spent time at the bottom of the Bundesliga and finished seventh — was anomalous, given underlying performance indicators.

The figure poised to replace Graham is thought to be working in the game and regarded as a leading operator in the football data field. Graham, a Cambridge University physicist, is working a notice period until May.

Despite misguided speculation to the contrary, Klopp has no intention of walking away from Liverpool — and, indeed, is said to be filled with a renewed energy and desire to revamp his team and “go again”. He has been buoyed by indications he will be given significant resources to overhaul his playing personnel.

With a number of leading players now in their thirties or approaching 30, and the Premier League being led by its youngest team — Arsenal — there is an acknowledgement that younger, fresh blood is needed. The Borussia Dortmund midfield phenomenon, Jude Bellingham, 19 is among Liverpool’s principal targets. They face competition from Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Chelsea for the England star, who is valued at about €150 million (£131 million) by his club. Liverpool are also strongly linked with Wolves’ Matheus Nunes, who would cost about €50 million (£44 million).

Funding a transfer overhaul would also represent a statement of commitment from Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), who in November signalled they were open to offers for the club. FSG’s position is that they are continuing to explore new investment.

Bold statement. Huge words of intent. 

Etc. 

He's been an amazing player but us over the years, but we should absolutely bomb Fabinho.

If we don't and if/when this form over the past 18 months continues then we're going to be stuck with a him until 2026 as no other club will take on his salary. I can see an Italian or Spanish club taking a risk on him this summer, but another year of these performances and I can't see any exit route for him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

He's been an amazing player but us over the years, but we should absolutely bomb Fabinho.

If we don't and if/when this form over the past 18 months continues then we're going to be stuck with a him until 2026 as no other club will take on his salary. I can see an Italian or Spanish club taking a risk on him this summer, but another year of these performances and I can't see any exit route for him. 

You mean 8 months? 

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

You mean 8 months? 

18 months assuming this run of form continues to the end of the season. Fabinho began to drop off during the second half of last season and that run of form nosedived this season. I don't see him pulling it around, but would love to be proved wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

18 months assuming this run of form continues to the end of the season. Fabinho began to drop off during the second half of last season and that run of form nosedived this season. I don't see him pulling it around, but would love to be proved wrong. 

I didn’t notice a run off in the 2nd half of last season. A few poor games (City A, Villarreal A), he wasn’t the only one in those games and there was nothing cataclysmic.

I can’t lie, I am very disappointed with him since the World Cup. I fully thought a bit of time away, less intensive schedule, confidence from becoming a Dad etc and he’d come back raring to go. 

IMO, I’d be keeping him. I don’t think a player who has been as good as Fabinho has been is easily replaced. You can count on 1 hand his equals over his time with us. 

The best signing we could make to replace Fabinho is for Fabinho to find his old form! 

Ultimately though, I trust Klopp & Co to come to the right decision. 

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd say our spend would need to be circa 200m plus in summer 

What that works out to 'net' is another story, but we certainly are looking at 200m plus of purchases.

I assume we could likely still afford Bellingham with no CL. Who else we need to back him up might be more difficult with no extra investment or CL money. 

I do wonder if we had the money for Touchameni and Nunez or if it was one or the other last summer. 

Players like fabinho, I think you need to sit down with them and see what they think about the whole situation. But it needs to be an honest 2 way discussion. If the club think he's done in England, they need to tell him. Perhaps he's struggling for other reasons - for instance he wouldn't be the first player to struggle after the birth of their first kid and we don't know how smooth the pregnancy was etc. There could be a number of small things contributing to his big dip in performance. He seems a pretty mature professional, so I doubt he wants to be a bit part player here. So sit down, try to understand what the fuck is going on and it might suit all parties to sell. But there may also be a way back - that is part of klopp's job and judgement. 

I think we have enough to do this summer, I've said it before. 3 in for Chamberlain, keita and milner is enough. So ideally that'll be it. Be we don't have one midfielder at the club (not counting the kids) that can feel secure about any short term future here. If the right money was offered for any of Jones, thiago, Henderson or fabinho, we should absolutely think about it. 

I must be the one of the few who'd keep Milner. I think a lot of people judge him on his age and that alone. 

If we're going to have 8-9 midfielders then just keep him as the 8th or 9th choice. His performances are still good when called upon. Even at right back he's been better than Trent this season. 

Plus he's homegrown and if keeping him means we have more flexibility to recruit from overseas elsewhere in the squad then that shouldn't be discounted. 

You lose an awful lot when players like Milner leave the club. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

£200m plus sales plus high wage earners off. Come on Jurgen.

Kelleher Matip Phillips Fabinho Jones and Carvalho, with a few on loan also sold, would generate over £100m. I'd also consider selling Gomez if a 2nd CB that could cover RB was available for the price we'd get for him. Releasing Ox Milner Keita and Arthur would also free up big wages. 

A net outlay of 120m-140m for a GK, a CB and 2 x CMs would cover most of the issues. 

The squad would be smaller so the injury issues would need to be rectified.