You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (H) Premier League - 21/1/23 - 12.30

an tha

11 minutes ago, Aventus said:

He's been shit recently. I'd rather have had Elliot or Doak there today. 

I'm not saying sell him, but nobody is immune to criticism. 

Yes play Doak there so we can wank him off running into blind alleys for his grace period.  As for Elliot, he offers nothing outwide, as we seen today.  It’s not even close that he had a worse game.

The amount of shite talked about Salah and Nunez all season is laughable.  

Fairly poor performance that, but still a major improvement on the Brighton game.

Main difference was in this match we actually had a midfield willing to run, challenge and close spaces. Far from the best midfield in the world, but a massive upgrade from last league game. 

Defence wasn’t a total disaster, with better protection from midfield they managed in a way, with the exception of their set pieces where we really missed Van Dijk.

Attack was pretty average as well, none of the three that started played very well. Salah possibly the worst of them, which is worrying, our highest earner should be one of the players leading to drag us out of this.

Luck and Alisson our two best players, after them I thought Bajcetic did well again and the other two in midfield not too bad. Nunez and Fabinho best of the subs. Henderson actively avoiding to get involved in challenges is a match like this was shocking to watch, if anyone is willing to take him he’d be the first out the door for me.

Can't seem to find any balance at present - we are either ok going forward but too open, too easy to play through and leave too much space for the opposition, or we are more compact and solid but utterly toothless going forward.

This is worrying and at present neither Klopp or the players look like they have the answers.

This is really worrying. I dont call our players shit but there's something fundementally wrong with 'us' right now and there's no quick fix in my view.

Buying a new midfield isnt resolving this. Sorry to disagree with anyone who thinks spending a shitload on 2 or 3 midfield players will resolve things and fix it. I dont think it does because as I said, there's something fundementally wrong going on with the whole team.

I was looking forward to this, it's the first game Ive been able to get to since 12 November. I hoped that the result midweek would act as a spur to the team whether Jurgen stuck with the same players or, brought the 'big guns' back. It was mainly the same team with Alli in goal and Mo upfront so was pretty happy with that.

But within a couple of minutes of kick off, we fucking conceeded again and from another corner. Why is this still happening? You'd think the players would be on their toes considering the number of times it's happened but they just dont seem to learn. Frustratingly, it doesnt seem to make any difference which players we have in defence, it still happens.

I get that oppos will try and expose any weakness or lack of certainty by our players but come on, professional pride should have kicked in by now to make this conceeding almost from the kick off the exception not the rule.

From my seat down the other end, I couldnt see whether anyone was fouled, there'd been a handball or an offside as none of our players seemed to appeal to the reg or lino as anyone normally does when conceeding a goal.

I only realised there could be a VAR check when we took our time lining up for the kick off. chelsea players looked confident the goal was food and were lined up ready to go.

Eventually, the ref (Oliver?) signalled offside and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. It also got the crowd up and that was about the only good thing Oliver did for the rest of the game. He booked Bajcetic for a nothing tackle but didnt book Gallagher for 2 challenges he made that were worthy of a booking. Once again, he gave us 3 bookings to chelsea's 1. 2 off ours might have been but they certainly put in some robust tackles as well.

We hardly won any second balls. Passes either didnt reach their man, were behind the intended player or, the receiving player needed 2 or 3 touches. We created very little. The finishing from Gakpo was appalling. He had a great opportunity in the first half and blazed it miles over the bar.

Mo was pretty much anonymous all game. Darwin showed willing when he came on but I never thought any of them were going to score. As the first half draw on, I was beginning to think whoever scores a legit goal will win this and, my feeling was it wasnt going to be us who got the goal.

Bajcetic again showed some great touches. Thiago was giving the ball away and Keita just wouldnt get a foot in. We're supposed to have a throw in coach but our throw ins were poor and usually just gave chelsea possession. We played ourselves into trouble time and again taking short goal kicks and possession being lost 10-15m in front of our box. And we were caught offside far too often and too easily.

Even when Jurgen made changes, we didnt look or play any better. Frankly, leaving most of them to the 82nd minute to make changes in this game was far too late for them to have any impact. We dont have Div or Taki any more. That said, Im not sure the changes made earlier would have made a difference but why wait so long?

I dont know what's wrong. The players look like they dont believe in what they are being asked to do, cannot do what they are asked to do or just doing their own thing.

Walking down Anfield Road after the game, a few were muttering this looks like the time at the end of Ged or Rafa's time at Anfield or even the end of Rodgers' time.

I dont think it's there yet but it is worrying a team that was within 45 minutes of another PL title and 90 minutes from another CL title 6 months ago looks so bereft of ideas and belief and frankly looks what it is, mediocre.

Bajcetic, Gomez and Konate were the stand out players. MoTM is between Gomez and Konate but it's too close to call for me to separate them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

This team is done. Its been allowed to become stagnant over the past 3 years and its completely fucked now. 

That being said i dont know why for the life of me we spent over £100m on Nunez and Gakpo when the money should have been better spent on areas that needed improvement. Thats not me having a go at either player but i just don't understand why they were signed. 

Agreed. Why by a top of the range sports car if the engine’s fucked?