You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

Like bringing a player on to take a peno, it seems to me choosing rest over surgery rarely works but loads of clubs do it. To the layman it looks a shit decision but the idea that we go cheap on how we how manage our players health and fitness is pure lunacy. 

3 players for around 2-3 months for 3 positions with 2 and sometimes 3 games a week is not good news.

Given our domestic cup draws as well.

None of the 'options' of other players are at all ideal - Jones, Oxlade, Carvalho...

1 of Salah, Firmino or Nunez gets injured and we are in big trouble.

Going to have to see formation tweaks again when and if we down to just 2....We saw at Forest the state of us when that happens.

Was looking forward to seeing Nunez back down the centre properly - that will have to wait as well now.

Could really do with someone to come in and add to our options up top - it looks well short given the absences and also how long is it gonna take Jota and Diaz to get right and fit and some rhythm and form after what will be 4 and 5 month absences....

19 minutes ago, an tha said:

Firmino won't be leaving - we have a major rebuild in midfield to pay for.

Firmino will get a new deal - i'd bet heavily on it.

I don't think he will leave either but you can be sure the decision has been made. 

Speaking at a press conference following the Reds’ 3-1 defeat, Klopp said: "Harvey got a knock before we scored, Harvey got a knock. But I think we were lucky. 

"He looks fine now but he feels it, that's normal, there was contact. But I hope we were lucky in that moment."

On Diaz, he continued: "Yeah, he was not in the best possible place. It's clear it's a big disappointment for all of us, for him as well. 

"It was a non-situation in training, honestly – nothing, felt something. [He] didn't feel a lot next day but we wanted to be really cautious and said, 'OK, come on, let's have a look.' 

"Yeah, then the news came and it was a proper smash in the face. But that's it now"

On 13/12/2022 at 14:25, Crazy Dave said:

I hope Jones joins Naby and Ox in fucking off this summer. Absolute waste of space all of them. 

We've just given Jones a new four and a half year contract, so he's not going anywhere.

One of my mates that works in Liverpool told me that somebody he works with is distantly related to Jones and says that he loves the lifestyle of a Premier League footballer but is not overly arsed about the game itself. 

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

We've just given Jones a new four and a half year contract, so he's not going anywhere.

One of my mates that works in Liverpool told me that somebody he works with is distantly related to Jones and says that he loves the lifestyle of a Premier League footballer but is not overly arsed about the game itself. 

Does that somebody enjoy booing, sucking manc cock and drive a taxi?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Get ready for squad to be decimated by illness....

Jürgen Klopp is optimistic the issue that forced James Milner from the field during the first half of Liverpool’s Carabao Cup tie with Manchester City is not serious – and confirmed Trent Alexander-Arnold missed out due to illness.

Milner was withdrawn after 38 minutes of the Reds’ fourth-round clash with Pep Guardiola’s side at Etihad Stadium having pulled up.

Klopp explained during his post-match press conference: "Millie felt something in the hamstring. We still hope it is not an injury, but we will see. He felt something, but after 30 years in the business he said, 'I don’t think it’s a lot' so we will see.”

Meanwhile, the manager explained how a virus kept Alexander-Arnold out of the fixture.

The full-back was set to be involved in the encounter until sickness ruled him out, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also suffering from illness in the build-up to the game.

"We thought Trent was available but then he got ill, so that is what we have to wait for,” Klopp said of Alexander-Arnold.

Elsewhere, Virgil van Dijk is set to return to the squad for Liverpool’s Premier League fixture with Aston Villa on Boxing Day following World Cup duty.

"Virgil trained today [and] yesterday completely normal and should be ready for Monday, but we have to see who gets the virus until then,” added the boss.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Get ready for squad to be decimated by illness....

Jürgen Klopp is optimistic the issue that forced James Milner from the field during the first half of Liverpool’s Carabao Cup tie with Manchester City is not serious – and confirmed Trent Alexander-Arnold missed out due to illness.

Milner was withdrawn after 38 minutes of the Reds’ fourth-round clash with Pep Guardiola’s side at Etihad Stadium having pulled up.

Klopp explained during his post-match press conference: "Millie felt something in the hamstring. We still hope it is not an injury, but we will see. He felt something, but after 30 years in the business he said, 'I don’t think it’s a lot' so we will see.”

Meanwhile, the manager explained how a virus kept Alexander-Arnold out of the fixture.

The full-back was set to be involved in the encounter until sickness ruled him out, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also suffering from illness in the build-up to the game.

"We thought Trent was available but then he got ill, so that is what we have to wait for,” Klopp said of Alexander-Arnold.

Elsewhere, Virgil van Dijk is set to return to the squad for Liverpool’s Premier League fixture with Aston Villa on Boxing Day following World Cup duty.

"Virgil trained today [and] yesterday completely normal and should be ready for Monday, but we have to see who gets the virus until then,” added the boss.

You couldn't make this crap up. 

I don't pay attention to other clubs really, do any other clubs have anywhere near our level of issues'?

City seem to always be pretty good but maybe that is a false impression on my part. 

6 minutes ago, HBenn said:

You couldn't make this crap up. 

I don't pay attention to other clubs really, do any other clubs have anywhere near our level of issues'?

City seem to always be pretty good but maybe that is a false impression on my part. 

We obviously pay a lot more attention to what goes on at our club and therefore it is amplified....but it does feel like certainly recently (last couple of years) we have a lot more injuries/problems than other clubs....but that may be confirmation bias on my part.

James Pearce:

Roberto Firmino has been ruled out of Liverpool’s League Cup tie against Manchester City at the Etihad tonight due to a calf injury.

The Brazil international got a kick during training earlier in the week and was sent for a scan.

The results confirmed that the problem is only minor but he won’t be risked against Pep Guardiola’s side.

Firmino, who has scored nine goals in all competitions so far this season, is also a doubt for the trip to Aston Villa in the Premier League on Boxing Day.

The hope is that he will respond well to treatment and will be able to play some part in Liverpool’s festive schedule.

Jurgen Klopp has already seen his attacking options depleted by the loss of Diogo Jota (calf) and Luis Diaz (knee) to serious injuries.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

We obviously pay a lot more attention to what goes on at our club and therefore it is amplified....but it does feel like certainly recently (last couple of years) we have a lot more injuries/problems than other clubs....but that may be confirmation bias on my part.

It feels to me like a lot of stuff is being allowed to slide at the moment. 

The medical side seem all over the place. Both teams tonight are coming back from a break but we pick up yet another injury pre game and one during it. Yet, because it is happening all of the time it's almost like it is ok now, it's accepted as the norm. 

I cannot believe that this medical team will still be running us past the summer. Surely, if we do spend big money, someone is going to question whether it will be properly looked after. Diaz barely had an injury before arriving here. 

Would you buy a Ferrari and give it to a dodgy garage?

4 minutes ago, HBenn said:

It feels to me like a lot of stuff is being allowed to slide at the moment. 

The medical side seem all over the place. Both teams tonight are coming back from a break but we pick up yet another injury pre game and one during it. Yet, because it is happening all of the time it's almost like it is ok now, it's accepted as the norm. 

I cannot believe that this medical team will still be running us past the summer. Surely, if we do spend big money, someone is going to question whether it will be properly looked after. Diaz barely had an injury before arriving here. 

Would you buy a Ferrari and give it to a dodgy garage?

There are deffo questions that need to be asked.....you'd like to think Klopp et al see the problem/s and get them fixed.

OK some of it is bad luck, and you can't do much about that - but repeated bad luck, over and over again? Hmmm.

I mean take Firmino 'a kick in training' above and how he is a doubt for probably at least 3 games - what sort of kick is that in a training session FFS....

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

James Pearce:

Roberto Firmino has been ruled out of Liverpool’s League Cup tie against Manchester City at the Etihad tonight due to a calf injury.

The Brazil international got a kick during training earlier in the week and was sent for a scan.

The results confirmed that the problem is only minor but he won’t be risked against Pep Guardiola’s side.

Firmino, who has scored nine goals in all competitions so far this season, is also a doubt for the trip to Aston Villa in the Premier League on Boxing Day.

The hope is that he will respond well to treatment and will be able to play some part in Liverpool’s festive schedule.

Jurgen Klopp has already seen his attacking options depleted by the loss of Diogo Jota (calf) and Luis Diaz (knee) to serious injuries.

I would say our medical team are ridiculously over cautious and then I watch us and think we often barely look fit.